2 Questions about DAB and Gap Insurance

animalraw

Hello All,

I've just placed an order for a factory build 1.2 Yeti Outdoor - silver with a black roof, part silver rails and the black matterhorn alloys... Needless to say I am very, very excited!!

I've been enjoying reading all the topics on the forum so far, and just have a couple of questions to add:

First off, I fell for the oldest trick in the dealer handbook and took out the GAP insurance they offered! I'm going to call and cancel that tomorrow and instead buy from an online broker, so... If you've taken out GAP for your pride and joy who have you used and how much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking, that is!)??

Secondly, now with a big £299 saving in my back pocket I'm obviously looking to spend it on options...!! I've already spec'd the SmartLink (the Apple CarPlay looks ace), but I've always wanted DAB radio, so now I can afford both my question is... If you have DAB how is it working for you? Does the signal drop out often? Or does it work like a dream?

And as a final little question... I am so, so, so tempted to splurge an extra £90 on the silver tailpipes... Did you do this to yours? Was it worth it?  B)

Thanks in advance for reading/your response, the middle of December can't come quick enough for me already!!

Kind regards,

Adam

And as a final little question... I am so, so, so tempted to splurge an extra £90 on the silver tailpipes... Did you do this to yours? Was it worth it?  B)

1st the genuine tailpipe trim is much cheaper if you fit yourself, Skoda dealer Dennis Horton of Lincoln have free delivery this month and have the trims for £25:20 Here

I have them from there and they look great.

I find DAB very good if you have good reception, we don't get dab here in Lincolnshire until next month but the stations that we do get don't drop out too often and can be set to change to FM if it does drop out.

Thanks for your swift reply Urrell - top tailpipe tip there!! I'm certainly going to take up that DIY option (well, I say I, what I really mean is I'll buy it and then make my dad do the fitting bit!). Another quick question on the tailpipe topic... Does the 1.2 Yeti Outdoor rock a single or a twin pipe?

Also thanks for the DAB thoughts, my parents live in Lincoln so I'll be driving over that way and it sounds like things everywhere will eventually get the signal so it should be worth the costly expense.

Hi Adam

Rather than take out Gap insurance I took out my annual car insurance with NFU which gives me a new car if mine is written off, this option is available for cars up to 2 years old .

Can't help with your DAB question but I'm sure someone will come along with good advice.

I've had silver tailpipes fitted on my last 3 Yeti's and it does enhance the looks in my opinion.

Thanks for your swift reply Urrell - top tailpipe tip there!! I'm certainly going to take up that DIY option (well, I say I, what I really mean is I'll buy it and then make my dad do the fitting bit!). Another quick question on the tailpipe topic... Does the 1.2 Yeti Outdoor rock a single or a twin pipe?

All the pictures I can see have a double tailpipe but when ordering put that it is for a new 1.2 and they will let you know if it's wrong.

Got my GAP Insurance from Chris Knott Insurance.... 3 years cover on car invoice value  £21,467,  max payout £10,000,  cost about £112 (Skoda wanted nearer £400)  No brainer!

DAB is very clear in much of the UK and provides services which can be very attractive, 5 live sports extra is the best way to keep up with cricket and 4 extra provides lots of entertainment . If you value either it is priceless and there is a possibility it will be vital if the lunatic scheme to sell off the FM band ever occurs.

• Like 1

I have DAB and have not used it so far, nor did I in previous cars. FM stations I listen to are fine, if not better than in DAB, though as said it's good to have it if FM is switched off, though that seems to keep getting extended thank goodness, and for the aforementioned additional services. 

Mine came with shiny tail pipes (dual in my case) and glad it did as they look good.

I just got a car with DAB in July. Tried it for a few weeks but the coverage is patchy and sound quality comes and goes so I've gone back to FM. There's nothing much extra offered on dab that's not on FM anyway

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Save a little more dosh get some ali/stainless polish and try giving 'em a polish first, you may well be surprised with the result  -  my mk1 has what looks like a stainless system fitted it polished up a treat, looks great, and am well pleased!

• Like 1

Mine has the twin tailpipes, they look good, but do need to be kept clean,

The car can get DAB most of the time, but I cant seem to get it in the house!

DAB is a big improvement on the usual FM signal. It does drop out from time to time.

A nice feature is to be told by the text on the screen what music is playing - very clever  :clap:

Drove from Bristol up thro mid Wales to the north last year and received the DAB signal most of the way apart from the deeper parts of mid Wales,I always keep it on DAB because if you loose the signal it reverts to FM anyway and around this area it fine most of the time

Have always felt that things like GAP insurance were designed to be of benefit to the product sellers and not the customer (you give them money for very little in return).  I know with my car insurance policy, if it is written off I get a new replacement which is effectively GAP insurance.  But this only applies until the car is one year old.  As ever it's personal choice but I would always give GAP insurance and the likes such as puncture insurance a wide berth.

Have always felt that things like GAP insurance were designed to be of benefit to the product sellers and not the customer (you give them money for very little in return).  I know with my car insurance policy, if it is written off I get a new replacement which is effectively GAP insurance.  But this only applies until the car is one year old.  As ever it's personal choice but I would always give GAP insurance and the likes such as puncture insurance a wide berth.

I used to think that until my car was written off at 18 months old. I got back a fraction of what it cost to replace

I used to think that until my car was written off at 18 months old. I got back a fraction of what it cost to replace

New for old?

What was the reason for so little?

Was it 'extras' or 'mods' ?.

In Oz it's pretty standard in the first year.

Can't sleep....bit sad really......forgot to 'scratch' the year off on the visitors permit....Aaaggghhhh!!

Edited by Ryeman