Broker purchasing experiences

We paid our deposit with credit card & checked it out with our card supplier.

They advised that they would cover the whole amount of the car if we paid the deposit & the sale was a con.

Meaning it was a no brainer to grab the discounted price as their is no risk to finances.

Amazing.

Just got a call from Nick at NCD to advise our car has just arrived at the dealers this morning & was asking me a couple of dates as to when we would like to receive our car.

Please keep us updated when you receive your car as how the hand over goes, I have a Metallic Brown tdi 190 dsg estate on order through NCD and Nick, ordered end January. They appear to be quite good so far and any communication is always answered.

Edited by russ1610

In view of the current furore I have today cancelled my order via NCD - no fault whatsoever of NCD, it's just that after waiting 3 years for the new Superb my faith in the claims of Skoda / VAG have been demolished overnight and I just can't bring myself to buy one of their cars at this time.

John at NCD has agreed to refund my deposit although he says that he will take the hit as his is no refundable from the dealer he places the order with.

As I'm a natural born cynic I would be surprised if that was the case.

He has said that he would prefer that I take any future inquiries of mine elsewhere however so it seems he is not impressed by my decision not to buy from the crooks at VAG.

I have had quite a few (frustrating, to me) email exchanges over the last few days beginning with mine informing him over my severe disquiet about the VAG fraud investigations and my conclusion is that I am less than bothered that he would prefer that I would not darken his door again.

At the time of typing the refund hasn't appeared in my account but the wheels of the banking industry turn slowly. I'll update tomorrow.

I didn't have any problems otherwise with the order but information about build dates and so on was not awfully forthcoming.

EDIT 25/09/15 - For the record, John at NCD is a man of his word. I have now received full refund of my deposit.

Ha. Good on them. I'd have said the same thing to you. You cancel an order for no reason. Just because VW decided to keep with a non compliant engine for a while because the new engine seemingly wasn't ready. Yes they did wrong, but it makes little difference to most people. Certainly no problem for Superb mk 3 owners as you will never come into contact with the offending engine. It's people like you, kicking up an unnecessary stink, that has given the car industry all the reasoning it needs to offer less money for peoples current VW diesels.

If consumers had just said it doesn't matter one jott, like it didn't to consumers, we may not be where we are.

Well done to NCD. I'd have refused to give you your deposit back.

James, I'm sure your services would be wondrous even at twice the price :notme:

By the way, maybe your problem with selling your car flows from the rather lacklustre description - 'Something with 4 wheels, a roof, and some pedals'...... I recall having something like that as a child, made from old orange boxes and pram wheels. Smelt a bit like an AdBlue tank too :rofl: 

I got a much better deal from;

http://www.thecarbuyingservice.co.uk/?utm_source=Pure360&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=siteEmails

than I was offered by the disinterested nerds in my local Skoda dealership (and mine actually had one of the engines that had been sprinkled with VW fairy dust)..... might be worth a try.

Good luck with the sale and I can only apologise for the rash and unjustified actions of the buying public. I really don't know where they get the cheek! I suppose the up side is all the great deals on new ones now.

​Poor old VW are the real victims in all of this....gotta go....I'm starting to well up...

JimB

..........As you can see, my services are free of charge!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I am buying my Skoda outright through broker4cars.co.uk, alas I found out that I could buy via Briskoda too late!  I've just been informed the car is ready for delivery but they said they want full payment for the car 2-4 days prior to delivery so the funds would clear!  This seems very dodgy to me, I discussed it with the financial ombudsmen service and they said it is reasonable for me to expect that I pay after delivery.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has used broker4cars?  How was it?  Did you get enough time to check the car over before handing over your hard-earned?

Thanks.

• Administrators

@Sif I'll let you off ;) the truth is so long as you get the car you want, we're all happy :D 

Now payment before delivery... what does the paperwork say? Grab a coffee and a magnification glass to see. 

My spidey senses say cashflow if that's an issue. Given bacs transfers go through in a matter of minutes these days, I too find it odd. Is it too much on the credit card? You can offer to pay with stamps, it's a legal tender after all. Certainly recent cars I've brought, I've done a bank transfer on the day, before they let me drive off, but after I've checked.

I've not heard of them, so I can't say.... put your headphones on, coffee and get in the right frame of mind, two approaches:

I'll leave it up to which one 'fits'. Honestly the top one was on my spotify play as I read your post :)

Again good luck on the delivery/collection. Photos and more when you pick it up :)

Be interesting to see if it is trailered or driven too ;)  PM me the supplying dealer if you don't mind ;)

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1

Interesting. I bought mine based on a trade in and PCP. The dealer matched the best CarWow quote (sorry again Colin). I did not pay a penny before delivery, and, apart from the trade in, I didn't pay a penny on the day either. First PCP payment was a month later.

• Administrators

:) it's ok :) We were for a time less than most on carwow. I've got to make a series of calls again. Most dealers will match a carwow quote as there is margin left in them, and thats before the volume bonus kicks in too. So even though it 's tale of woe, on bonus it's still a $$ pay day... eventually. Because they have to pay carwow too ;) Which is how we could come in below ;)

Edited by ColinD

Hi ColinD,

Very original response, I think I'll go for the 'For a Few Dollars More' vibe and wait to see what they have to say now that I've made them aware of my concerns! 

@100andthirty that sounds much more like it!

I bought via Carfile. The car was sourced from a main dealer and I settled with a debit card when I picked up the car, after looking round it of course!

What would worry me about paying up front is finding a huge dent or evidence of respray on the car. You've lost an awful lot of leverage.

I have bought my last 2 cars via Carfile. Both deals were on PCP (Leon) and 0% Finance (Superb) so no money (other than my PX) was actually handed over. In both cases the deposit was returned together with the excess PX value on collection.

Carfile is one of the few brokers I would actually buy from since they do not ask for a single penny and all the dealing is carried out with trader. They saved me just over £2000 when I bought the Leon compared to the 2 local dealers I had tried and probably a similar amount on the Superb.

They are not always the cheapest though. When the wife bought the Note a couple of years ago the Carfile price and local dealer were very close but when the local dealer could not find the exact car we wanted he upgraded us to a higher spec making the deal much better. It was the end of the 1/4 and he did not want to loose any bonus I guess.

• 1 month later...

Broker4cars did the job for me, took delivery of the car today (yes!! :biggrin:).  I checked them out at companies house, they have been around for a fair while and at the same address.  They have FCA accreditation too.  So if anyone has any doubts  about a buying a car through a company that may be the way to ease worry. 

In terms of customer service and support I think Broadspeed have been brilliant, they even advised me when I was not buying from them.  So I may go with them next time.