Some Photos Post-Dashcam Installation

TSIspirit

Hello all,

Just thought i'd share a couple of shots of my fabia after installing my dashcam and a good old clean before going back to uni, hence the rather well packed back seats/boot! Always amazed how much you can fit in.

The dashcam is an interesting contraption, it has gps, front & rear cameras and runs android, the headunit mounts over the rearview mirror and i have to highly recommend it - loads of sellers on amazon and ebay. Managed to hide away all the wires quite well, the rearview camera is mounted under the elevated brake light and this is the only visible bit of wire, obviously need some excess to let the boot open :p

Images on imgur, wouldn't let me upload them to here :(

http://imgur.com/a/JYgU2

My brother recently purchased one of these cameras (not sure if it's the same make/model) it looks pretty decent

I'm just waiting to get back to uni and when i get a free moment hopefully can get Google Play Services loaded on to it, then I can run more apps on it, including Torque for OBD goodness!

I'm not sure about loading GPS onto a dash cam, as there's no hiding place from the evidence it provides, speed etc.. Date/time, yes, obviously, but is there a need for anything else to be added to the video?

BTW, we have dash cams in all our famiy's cars, so I'm definitely in favour of them.

Edited by Baxlin

I'm not sure about loading GPS onto a dash cam, as there's no hiding place from the evidence it provides, speed etc.. Date/time, yes, obviously, but is there a need for anything else to be added to the video?

BTW, we have dash cams in all our famiy's cars, so I'm definitely in favour of them.

Well I suppose its useful if there's an argument over fault where speed may play a role etc then youve got something else to back you up. I like it for other purposes, for example i run a custom app for tracking and security on it. I guess its up for debate but most likely a matter of preference :)

Looks very neat!

What is the make and model of your dashcam?

Thanks :D It's one of these generic chinese contraptions: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Android-WiFi-1080P-Car-GPS-Navi-Europe-DVR-Rearview-Mirror-Dash-Cam-Dual-Lens-/351384271149?hash=item51d022792d except the price varies wildly, got mine for £55. Can get Android-less versions but fancied doing some development on the android model :p

The fabia has lots of little places to hide the wiring for the gps, power and rear camera - installed the same thing in my dad's freelander 2 and it was a tad more difficult.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Dashcams are nice to have, I've got one in the Beemer but not the Fabia yet. Shame you have a separate GPS unit on that one. The front camera looks neatly done but I'm not a fan of those trailing wires on the rear cam.

Thanks for sharing. Dashcams are nice to have, I've got one in the Beemer but not the Fabia yet. Shame you have a separate GPS unit on that one. The front camera looks neatly done but I'm not a fan of those trailing wires on the rear cam.

The wire you see is just a little excess to give it room to open the boot, all the rest is tucked in headlining and trim :) Think some more excess came out when i was packing the car to be honest.....theres a job for another day :p

the rear camera is quite low resolution! I'd prefer at least HD, but would love FullHD... (I know most are 720p though) especially with most accidents being rear-enders now I'd want to catch the number plate clearly!

is this one of those that mean you cant dip the rear ciew mirror?? some I've seen won't let this happen because of the camera etc..

the rear camera is quite low resolution! I'd prefer at least HD, but would love FullHD... (I know most are 720p though) especially with most accidents being rear-enders now I'd want to catch the number plate clearly!

is this one of those that mean you cant dip the rear ciew mirror?? some I've seen won't let this happen because of the camera etc..

You are a little bit restricted on movement, but it offers a bit more visibility, esp. for the passenger side rear window when passing a cyclist etc. The colour/treatment of the glass is weird, it pretty much blocks any headlights in the mirror, even on high beam. Hard to describe but you get the picture!