Fan type noise after turning off

It's the oil pump and the noise is normal. After the engine is turned off the car continues to pump oil around the engine for a few minutes to prevent it from cooking within the turbo. My TSI does it, and you can really hear it if you open the bonnet and listen immediately after switch off.

• Like 1

Possibly the fan on your stereo but you say its only after you switch off.

My new Golf has a fan noise from the minute I unlock the car and it stays going all the time it is unlocked, it seems to be the stereo from a bit of a nose around.

It's definitely not engine related in any way on mine as even before the key is in the ignition I can hear a fan.

Edited by Defenderben

It's the oil pump and the noise is normal. After the engine is turned off the car continues to pump oil around the engine for a few minutes to prevent it from cooking within the turbo. My TSI does it, and you can really hear it if you open the bonnet and listen immediately after switch off.

It doesn't pump oil, it pumps coolant.

It doesn't pump oil, it pumps coolant.

I think you will find that it is the water pump which pumps coolant, and the oil pump is for oil. As far as I am aware the turbo is lubricated by oil. Water-based coolant cools the engine and turbo, which in turn is cooled by air. Keeping the oil flowing for a short period after ignition-off prevents engine/turbo hot-spots from degrading the oil.

Edited by Orville