Launch day!

I thought launch day was today but Skoda website says tomorrow. Either way I'm not going, I've ordered one blind and am going to wait til I pick it up to know if I've made the right decision or not!

• Like 2

I thought launch day was today but Skoda website says tomorrow. Either way I'm not going, I've ordered one blind and am going to wait til I pick it up to know if I've made the right decision or not!

+1  All the local dealers have diesels. Looked at a new Superb III in the showroom. Don't see much point in booking a test drive with a different engine than what I've ordered and it doesn't seem the local dealers will be getting a 280 before mine arrives.

• Like 1

Don't really understand this launch day, its not as if they have been kept hidden under a sheet, or the brochures have been embargoed

Already looked over one and sat in it at the dealer.

Don't want to do a test drive in a car with a different engine to the one I'm planning on (a petrol 220 DSG) as it will not be representative.

The only thing I would really like is to see a set of decent paint samples (with the panels big enough) so I could compare the hues properly in daylight, but the dealer only has smallish samples for some colours, hasn't even got a sample of the colour I'm tempted to go with. Therefore wont be visiting tomorrow.

I thought the same.

Basically all the launch events are tonight so they can have some press etc for tomorrow which is the official launch day.

Yes - went to Garland Motors (Aldershot) and Winchester Motor Company's joint launch today at Alresford Station. Greetings and free coffee on arrival, test drive of either an Estate (geared) or Hatch (auto)

followed by a free return journey on the famous Watercress line steam railway to Alton and back, then an excellent free buffet lunch in the Pullman Buffet carriage, plus some free new Superb goodies.

It's worth being one of their customers!

That makes me wonder what various justifications we all have when contemplating car ownership.

When I was looking at my car expenses recently as part of a general review of household budget, I was slightly surprised how much my old car was costing. Mostly because it was heavy and thirsty, there were quite high petrol, road tax, insurance, tyres (about £2500). Because it was old there was quite high repair/servicing bills (about £750). Although depreciation was low (about £250), the total cost of ownership was about £4,000/annum. In theory, the new car will be about the same or possibly a bit less. Lease of £3000/year includes servicing, depreciation, tax. My fuel bill will probably be about £800, and insurance about £300).

Is there a sweet spot of age when it comes to these things? Maybe between 2 & 5 years?

In terms of pleasure to be in, a definite case of swings and roundabouts!

That makes me wonder what various justifications we all have when contemplating car ownership.

When I was looking at my car expenses recently as part of a general review of household budget, I was slightly surprised how much my old car was costing. Mostly because it was heavy and thirsty, there were quite high petrol, road tax, insurance, tyres (about £2500). Because it was old there was quite high repair/servicing bills (about £750). Although depreciation was low (about £250), the total cost of ownership was about £4,000/annum. In theory, the new car will be about the same or possibly a bit less. Lease of £3000/year includes servicing, depreciation, tax. My fuel bill will probably be about £800, and insurance about £300).

Is there a sweet spot of age when it comes to these things? Maybe between 2 & 5 years?

In terms of pleasure to be in, a definite case of swings and roundabouts!

For me it's not about justifying the car. I enjoy cars and always have. I will keep the car at least 7 years probably more so not bothered about depreciation.

I only do around 7k a year which means I can enjoy the 280 without worrying about fuel bills.

For me it's more than a mode of transport. It's a hobby.

• Like 1

Popped into the dealership's launch (really a launch for their fleet customers) on the way home - they had another model in the showroom - an SE L Business done up in the logos for the Tour of Britain. This was a manual so a chance to see if indeed the gear lever is set higher as others have reported. It is, but since I've started using the seat in its highest position it felt fine - nothing I wouldn't get used to.

Coffee, Cupcakes, Confirmed build week 40 is still showing on the system :-)

Thanks for that, although I will say I thought the door mirrors were smaller on the SIII than on the SII when I took one for a test drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the size but I was talking about visibility and how much you can see through between A pillar & wing mirror and also between wing mirror and the the beltline :thumbup:  

I received an email inviting me to the Aberdeen launch, saying places were limited. When I clicked on the button to reserve a place, it just opened the Aberdeen Skoda website. Called them and was passed to sales. No special launch day at all, just a normal appointment to test drive their demo.

Went in today and there was nothing different to a normal day. Salesman said it would have been too expensive. Pretty disappointing really.

They had a black SE-L Exec estate with Alcantara seats (thought they were meant to be all leather?) and the 190 PS diesel engine. I already have a 184 PS Octavia vRS and the Superb didn't look or feel all that different from behind the wheel. Better ride but the vRS is likely to be a bit firmer anyway. A bit less road noise too on the Superb. Interesting to see a Mode button as well. Would really like to try the 1.4 DSG at some point. The PCP deals in the dealer looked very expensive (e.g. 8k deposit plus £260 odd a month over 3 years, with final payment of just over 11k). Need to find a better lease deal. Simpsons Skoda have a great deal on the Yeti L&K 1.4 tsi 4x4 as the moment, so hoping they'll do something for the Superb. I'll probably wait a few months though, especially given the problems with standard and optional kit when the Octavia came out.

Regards

Gareth

Edited by Gary_UK
  • Like 1