Throttle body problem

minijawa

so today i thought it would be a god idea to give my EGR pipes and throttle body a clean as ive been having the fault code saying that there is insufficient flow so removed the EGR and the throttle body and any connecting pipes for cleaning then reassembled everything started the engine and now the EPC light is on and its constantly reving up to 15 thousand and down to 10 thousand and the throttle is unresponsive so am under the impression that theres something wrong with the throttle body but i dont fancy spending almost 200 quid on it if its not that so has anyone had this problem or know of any fixes that might help me out or have a spare throttle body? 

Did you switch the ignition on at any time while the throttle body was disconnected?

If so, the engine ECU will have got confused by its electrical absence and need re-adapting to the throttle body.

If not, check that you haven't accidentally bust any of the wires going to it.

cheers for the help guys no i didnt move the butterfly at any point not sure about the ignition tho how would i go about re-adapting im guessing i need vag com to do this?

As Ken says, the fault codes which should be available to read should give some clues about what the car is upset about.

When cleaning the TB, did you try to forcibly move the butterfly about?

Yep, quick and easy job with VCDS.

Another thing to check is that you don't have any gaskets or O-rings 'left over' unnoticed somewhere, which might be causing an air leak.

Definitely don't buy a new throttle body. They are super-reliable, so even if yours is unwell, a secondhand £20 replacement would almost certainly be fine.

Yep, quick and easy job with VCDS.

Another thing to check is that you don't have any gaskets or O-rings 'left over' unnoticed somewhere, which might be causing an air leak.

Definitely don't buy a new throttle body. They are super-reliable, so even if yours is unwell, a secondhand £20 replacement would almost certainly be fine.

well thats anothing thing to add to the list of things to get done on top of finishing the new paint job and rebuilding the car and geting a mot before it gets toed off thanks for the advice greatly appreciated any idea on how much vcds will set me back 

cheers for the help guys no i didnt move the butterfly at any point not sure about the ignition tho how would i go about re-adapting im guessing i need vag com to do this?

Easy way to do this................................follow my old tech how to here.........................& follow to the letter!!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/201016-how-to-reset-the-engine-ecu/