ŠKODA Octavia RS: Now with all-wheel drive and six-speed DSG

Aint the suspension the same as the optional sportsuspension on all non-scout models?

You only get stiffer springs when you spec sports suspension. The vrs has different shocks too. The anti roll bar could well be stiffer too, on the vrs. but I'm not sure on that one.

• Like 1

You only get stiffer springs when you spec sports suspension. The vrs has different shocks too. The anti roll bar could well be stiffer too, on the vrs. but I'm not sure on that one.

Its lower as well. Sportsuspension gives the same rideheight as the vRS.

And for a change the manual is actually conservative in that estimate. With launch control and switching the gearbox to manual mode I've managed to get close to 7s. (In sport the DSG tries to rev the engine too high missing the torque band.)

Get your DSG remapped, have it done to Sport Mode only and you'll keep the improved throttle without it showing up on a service as by default, the car can't start in Sports Mode.....

It's not though is it. VRS has better brakes, firmer suspension and the progressive steering that none of the other Octavia's have.

These all make a big difference to driving feel regardless of how fast it gets to 60mph compared to the other models. The steering benefit alone over the standard models is a must have now IMO.

I agree....the "Performance Golfs" differ quite considerably from their regular model counterparts.....progressive steering, unique spring/damping setups, bigger brakes given no regular Golf other than the Alltrack has 312mm brakes. The vRS is really no different in that regard.

Id wager as competent as the 4x4 180 TSI and 184 TDI regular/Scout models are they wont be as engaging as a 2wd vRS TDI....4x4 vRS is rather another prospect altogether.

What i would say 2wd v 4x4 vRS TDI......whilst the 4x4 will be quicker off the mark due to better traction....it will be heavier and suffer more transmission loss than the 2wd version so might not be quite so quick in gear once up to speed. Be a great variant of the car though.

You can't have VRS brakes on any other current octavia model (from what I know).
Progressive Steering is also one impressive bit that you can have only on VRS... I appreciate the + given to handling by this feature.
In my opinion only these two things and it's enough to make the difference if you want a more sporty car.

I think we all can agree that (at least) TDI version of Octavia VRS is no sports car.

For me 4x4 Diesel VRS is the thing what I expected.
When new Superb came out, I was almost sure that it will be my next car. Now, if VRS Diesel 4x4 will be available, things change.
4x4 VRS will be faster on 0-60 mph (I dont really care) but most important will be much faster and safer on normal driving, when cornering.
In straight line, I don't care... I am not gonna do drag racing... :)

Edited by cip
  • Like 1

I wonder how is it possible that "regular" octavia hatch 2.0 TDI (184 HP) DSG - 4WD is doing 0-62 mph in 7,1 sec. and VRS with the same spec is doing 7,6 sec.
Also VRS has 129 g/km CO2 emissions compared with 125 g/km for the regular octavia hatch.

That much heavier? I don't know, just wondering. There are 0,5 sec. difference. Not that this is of any problem for me, but I find it odd.
Normally, the motor with all that comes should be the same.
Bigger brakes, stiffer ani-roll bar, maybe slightly different suspension... these can't be that much heavier.

:wonder:

The brochure has the estates at:

2.0 TDI 150PS 4x4 at 1383kg

2.0 TDI 184PS at 1400kg

2.0 TDI 184PS DSG at 1420kg

And the Scout at:

2.0 TDI 184PS 4x4 DSG at 1484kg

Are those the vRS'?

The brochure doesn't say, however according to the brochure when you look at the cars and engines available, the scout is the only other car available with a 184 TDI

The brochure doesn't say, however according to the brochure when you look at the cars and engines available, the scout is the only other car available with a 184 TDI

Not in Norway. We the Scout, Vrs and regular 4x4 (elegance and L&K) with the 184.

But if those number are for the vrs, why is it stated as so much heavier here I wonder.

Tempting, if they can get the emissions sorted  :D

Official Skoda Press Release...

• New 4x4 option added to Octavia vRS range - fitted with six-speed DSG as standard
  • Perfect combination of power, performance and practicality
  • Octavia vRS 4x4 models start from £27,315 OTR. Available to order now.
  • Amundsen sat-nav added to standard specification on all Octavia vRS models
  • 30,000 examples of the Octavia vRS sold in the UK since 2001

Milton Keynes, 2 October: ŠKODA is continuing the expansion of its sporting flagship Octavia vRS line-up with a specification boost and the introduction of a new 4x4 transmission option. Following hot in the tracks of the new vRS 230, the fastest production ŠKODA Octavia ever, the updated range hits showrooms later this year.  Prices for the Octavia vRS 4x4 start from £27,315 OTR (£28,515 OTR for the Estate).

Offered with the 2.0 TDI 184PS diesel engine, the vRS’ four-wheel drive system is coupled to a six-speed direct-shift gearbox (DSG) as standard, which delivers a smooth and strong acceleration in all road conditions. The Octavia’s 4x4 system constantly monitors traction at each wheel and can direct power to whichever axle requires it.

The Octavia vRS 4x4 models can sprint from zero to 62mph in just 7.6 seconds and have a broad and flexible mid-range – made possible by the engine’s high torque output of 380Nm, available between 1,750-3,250 rpm.

From 1 November, prices for the Octavia vRS range start from £24,230 OTR for the Hatch and £25,430 OTR for the Estate, an increase of £400, however, buyers will get the Amundsen satellite navigation system as standard (previously £755), offering a customer saving of £355.

With a capacitive touchscreen display and SD card slot, this feature-packed unit joins a specification list that already includes 18-inch Gemini anthracite alloy wheels, bi-xenon headlights, sports suspension and dual-zone climate control with humidity sensor.

More than 30,000 Octavia vRS models have been sold in the UK since its introduction in 2001. Its unique combination of performance, value and unrivalled levels of space has made it a popular choice with UK buyers.

Engineering highlights in the vRS range include multi-link suspension and electronic differential lock XDS+ for dynamic cornering, progressive steering and numerous assistance systems for enhanced safety and comfort. The vRS also features a striking design package that includes unique vRS bumpers, spoiler and interior. 

With VW diesels now becoming the devils chariot will this model be a viable launch?

With the increased weight I would say that 184bhp is not enough to light the fire. 

A tuned tFSI would be a more desirable option but the price is creeping up & up toward £30K.

Glad i bought a petrol vRS.

• Like 1

Having a rather interesting conversation with Skoda on Facebook currently as to why this should be made available as a TSi also.... They don't see the business case of having a performance flagship octy with awd and a petrol lump. :(

FWIW, that's just crazy 

VW are still happy to sell petrol GTi's & R's, as well as covering the "economy" sector with the GTD & GTE, maybe Skoda are not allowed to play in the same sector,

they have to remain the "sensible" brand & let SEAT have the low-rent enthusiast market to themselves?  

For the private buyer , (such as myself) the TSi has to be the right engine for a sports saloon / hatchback.

I realize that diesels are more economical, but so what?

If you need an economy drive, buy an economy car..............

What if I want a Q car? A car that is fun to hustle along when alone, but it will fit the family, bikes and dogs in and tow the caravan? Surely this is more appealing than a pure performance machine? Lets face it there are better hot hatches for similar money.

For my part I want the petrol because its a petrol, not the hot hatch argument.

Diesels are ok, but Im tired of the noise and that they take forever to get warm in the winter.