Hill hold control - Is this a must ?

RickTT

Hill hold control     - Is this a must with the lack of real handbrake ?

I never use the the handbrake in the current car, so im thinking its not.?

Thoughts pls ?

Thanks

Edited by RickTT

I ordered this as I suspect it will be better with the electric parking brake (even on a manual).

Yep definitely useful on my manual Fabia (with of course manual handbrake), but you just need to remember to push the brake in quite firmly before releasing to experience the "hold". And there are times where the incline isn't quite enough for the system to kick on which can annoy you even though you feel the roll back/forward!

With the electronic handbrake can't you just push the handbrake to put it on then as soon as you get the bite point on the clutch and go to set off it will release the handbrake?

Phil

With the electronic handbrake can't you just push the handbrake to put it on then as soon as you get the bite point on the clutch and go to set off it will release the handbrake?

Phil

Yes.

I did this on my test drive before ordering, I wanted to know if it worked like the electronic brake on the B6 Passat I used to have.

• Like 1

One thing to note if you are used to the electronic handbrake on non VAG makes is that the one fitted on the superb is selectable to auto or manual and it also works downhill as well as up.

So just to clarify... you slow down at a traffic light on a slightly upward hill (so without braking your car would roll backwards).

Do you have to press the E-Brake button down (or up) once to engage the hill hold? To then lift feet off the brake pedal?

Or can you just slow to a stop then let go of the brake pedal and the E-Brake will automatically enable?

And as I understand, you can just set off when the E-Brake is on to start driving? (And if this is like the A3 S-Line I had, can you also just unlock the car, sit inside, switch on ignition, strap seatbelt (of course), switch to gear/drive and accelerate off without having to disengage the E-Brake for the first time either?)

There is a Hill Hold (HHC) button next to the Park Prake switch.  

Pressing the HHC button either enables (button lit amber) or disables (button not lit) the HHC. The car will remember this setting between drives.

With the button lit and you stop on a hill (up or down) when you take your foot off the brake the brakes will remain on for a couple of seconds or until you press the accelerator whichever happens first.

The electronic parking brake can be released by pressing the switch and engaged by pulling/lifting the switch (similar to electric window switch).  It will also automatically release if you drive off and engage when you switch off the ignition (mine is KESSY but I assume that the keyed ignition will do the same).

Edited by GuernseyDonkey

There is a Hill Hold (HHC) button next to the Park Prake switch.

Interesting, as I'm aware you have the car and I'm still waiting.

In the PDF user manual (page 146) it shows this as the auto-hold button, used to deactivate/activate auto-hold. (The other button being the central locking button)

So just to clarify... you slow down at a traffic light on a slightly upward hill (so without braking your car would roll backwards).

Do you have to press the E-Brake button down (or up) once to engage the hill hold? To then lift feet off the brake pedal?

Or can you just slow to a stop then let go of the brake pedal and the E-Brake will automatically enable?

And as I understand, you can just set off when the E-Brake is on to start driving? (And if this is like the A3 S-Line I had, can you also just unlock the car, sit inside, switch on ignition, strap seatbelt (of course), switch to gear/drive and accelerate off without having to disengage the E-Brake for the first time either?)

Don't get confused between auto-hold, hill hold and the electronic handbrake. They are separate systems.

Auto-hold engages automatically when you brake to a stop by keeping the brakes applied without you needing to keep your foot on the brake pedal. A green [P] light illuminates.

It disengages as soon as you apply throttle to move off.

If you open the door, turn off the ignition, or move the lever to N (DSG), the handbrake is automatically applied. A red [P] light illuminates.

Hill Hold (standard with DSG, option with manual) activates automatically if you are stationary and facing up or down on a slope greater than 5º. It holds the brake pressure for an additional 2 seconds giving you time to apply acceleration without the vehicle rolling. As throttle is applied, the brakes are eased off.

If you have Auto-hold and Hill Hold, you will probably never need to touch the electronic handbrake!

The handbrake will need to be manually released (pushed down) if the car is required to freewheel, or pull up and hold if you're into doing J-turns  :dull:.

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks guys and yep read through the manual too and it all makes sense now. It is just like the A3 S-line which I found very handy.

RTFM required!  BillyJim is correct.  I was getting Auto Hold and Hill Hold mixed up.  The button next to the park brake is the Auto Hold.

Given the way that my car has just rolled backwards on a 14% slope, I'm guessing that I don't have Hill Hold!

From what I've read elsewhere...
Hill hold engages when you start the car on a slope and auto hold isn't engaged (i.e. you parked the car on a slope).
The handbrake disengages as soon as you apply acceleration. If you don't apply enough you roll.
Hill hold eases the brakes off as throttle input is increased, preventing the roll.
There was a graph somewhere on the Skoda web site showing how this worked.

So... What will I have then on the SE L DSG ? Will I be able to pretty much forget about the handbrake like on Dilz A3 ? If I pull up at lights and select N with the handbrake auto apply then auto un apply when I select drive and set off ?

So... What will I have then on the SE L DSG ? Will I be able to pretty much forget about the handbrake like on Dilz A3 ? If I pull up at lights and select N with the handbrake auto apply then auto un apply when I select drive and set off ?

According to the manual, yes. But why engage N?

The auto-hold will already be doing what you want to do with the handbrake, so why deactivate one system to activate another doing the same job?

If you're concerned about leaving it in D because of the DSG

1) I never move my Mk.II's DSG out of Drive when stationary for lights, junctions, etc. The old-fashioned handbrake has always held the car stationary and if you don't do a Harry Hardon boy-racer impersonation with the throttle there is absolutely no problem with the DSG box. The only time I go to N is if it's a prolonged pause - like traffic jams or level crossings. I know there's a DSG overheating warning lamp - but in 4 years I've never seen it illuminate.

2) With start-stop on the Mk.III the engine won't be running anyway.

If it's because you're anti the start-stop system, then just disable the start-stop when you start the journey. You only have to press that button once. AFAIK moving the DSG into N doesn't in itself disable start-stop. As for leaving it in D with the engine running, I refer to point 1 above.

(Oh and BTW - looks like you'll get your 280 before me. Mine's on its way to port)   :envy:

• Like 1

Cheers that's great :-) yeah I might just nip you to the post although I'll not count my chickens .... If I'm really lucky it may be next week ! I'm really looking forward to it now even more so because it's all happened so quickly ! 7 weeks when I was expecting 3 months at least !

I'm not looking forward to saying goodbye to the Scout though..... It's been an amazing vehicle and we've had some great times in it ...

Little need for hill hold when the car has auto hold.

However, auto hold only works when you have your seatbelt on, drivers door shut etc, hill hold will work all the time.

According to the manual, yes. But why engage N?

The auto-hold will already be doing what you want to do with the handbrake, so why deactivate one system to activate another doing the same job?

If you're concerned about leaving it in D because of the DSG

1) I never move my Mk.II's DSG out of Drive when stationary for lights, junctions, etc. The old-fashioned handbrake has always held the car stationary and if you don't do a Harry Hardon boy-racer impersonation with the throttle there is absolutely no problem with the DSG box. The only time I go to N is if it's a prolonged pause - like traffic jams or level crossings. I know there's a DSG overheating warning lamp - but in 4 years I've never seen it illuminate.

2) With start-stop on the Mk.III the engine won't be running anyway.

If it's because you're anti the start-stop system, then just disable the start-stop when you start the journey. You only have to press that button once. AFAIK moving the DSG into N doesn't in itself disable start-stop. As for leaving it in D with the engine running, I refer to point 1 above.

(Oh and BTW - looks like you'll get your 280 before me. Mine's on its way to port)   :envy:

Unusual way to drive a DSG, we treat ours like any other auto, leave it in N when stopped, just in case the driver has a heart attack, a real possibility at our age!

DC