I don't need winter tyres because I am so awesome thread

FUBAR

Well theres snow on the ground this morning.

Its feckin bitter cold in the wind no doubt.

I am gonna be thankful for All Seasons in half an hour or so when i get on the road.

But of course, even at this time in a morning, im expecting somebody more awesome on summer tyres to show me how to drive twice the safe speed and tailgate too.

• Like 1

Just arrived at my destination.

First hour n a half was horrific.

Completely lost the front going down a steep hill and round a corner. I didnt touch anything, just steered n hoped for the best in first gear. Luckily it came back.

Artics stuck everywhere. Stuff crashed everywhere. Van in a field etc etc.

Dont care what anybody says, that would of been a really bad do without decent tyres. The all seasons were really struggling. Proper winters and narrower tyres (fabs got 195 55 r15) would of been better perhaps.

Few inches of snow.. But it was the ice underneath that was the problem.

Didnt see a single gritter either

Just arrived at my destination.

First hour n a half was horrific.

Completely lost the front going down a steep hill and round a corner. I didnt touch anything, just steered n hoped for the best in first gear. Luckily it came back.

Artics stuck everywhere. Stuff crashed everywhere. Van in a field etc etc.

Dont care what anybody says, that would of been a really bad do without decent tyres. The all seasons were really struggling. Proper winters and narrower tyres (fabs got 195 55 r15) would of been better perhaps.

Few inches of snow.. But it was the ice underneath that was the problem.

Didnt see a single gritter either

Signs displaying gritting on the M5 but no sign of them and it was only snowing up on the Brum plateau and ground warm enough to melt on contact.  Warmer in the Severn Valley so no point even though signs were flashing they were.

Studded tyres then?

Signs displaying gritting on the M5 but no sign of them and it was only snowing up on the Brum plateau and ground warm enough to melt on contact. Warmer in the Severn Valley so no point even though signs were flashing they were.

Studded tyres then?

I guess i might of been out before the gritters at 4am

Could of done with them maybe.

Was seriously slippy. even an izuzu trooper backed out of going down 1 hill. Usually people seem to think 4x4 helps them stop too. Probably sensibly though. Id just come up it, and theres no chance id risk going down it haha. A vw golf was in a wall, but i couldnt stop, id of lost my car back down the hill haha

...... A vw golf was in a wall, but i couldnt stop, id of lost my car back down the hill haha

Maybe one less car the VAG will have to fix.  

I expect VW are hoping that in the massively delayed emissions fixes that as about 1% of cars gets scrapped each month though age, accidents etc maybe VW are hoping for a bad winter to reduce their liability.

Some worry has to be under the Draconian cuts in public services it is quite possible gritting, like road ,maintenance over the last few years, maybe very poor and road conditions worse that we might have hoped for.     

• Like 1

I bought my daughter winters because she isn't awesome and I want to sleep at night :D  to be fair she drives very well considering she hasn't been driving a year yet but she drives to work  very early in the morning and our road very rarely gets treated in the winter.

Also we bought her a 2003 Corsa as a first car and its surprisingly a decent car to drive however the 1.0 litre engine just hasn't got any engine breaking and even I(I 'm not lewis Hamilton or anything) struggle to drive it smoothly into the nasty corners on the B roads near our house.

so all that considered I got some to help her drive in the winter, but part of me did wonder am I actually stunting her driving experience by not allowing her to drive on summers for a winter? I know its an odd thought but if she gets in a car with summers on it may be a bit of a shock!

anyway she's as safe as I can make her in  my budget (warrior armoured fighting vehicle out of my price range) and that's that

• Like 1

I'm feeling far from awesome right now... so I fitted my winter tyres (already not awesome for buying them I know!)... then something just dawned on me so went out to check... yep... I've fitted them all the wrong way round so need to swap them round! Doh!

I bought my daughter winters because she isn't awesome and I want to sleep at night :D  to be fair she drives very well considering she hasn't been driving a year yet but she drives to work  very early in the morning and our road very rarely gets treated in the winter.

Also we bought her a 2003 Corsa as a first car and its surprisingly a decent car to drive however the 1.0 litre engine just hasn't got any engine breaking and even I(I 'm not lewis Hamilton or anything) struggle to drive it smoothly into the nasty corners on the B roads near our house.

so all that considered I got some to help her drive in the winter, but part of me did wonder am I actually stunting her driving experience by not allowing her to drive on summers for a winter? I know its an odd thought but if she gets in a car with summers on it may be a bit of a shock!

anyway she's as safe as I can make her in  my budget (warrior armoured fighting vehicle out of my price range) and that's that

Yep, That's why the three cars on my drive all have winters fitted.

After experiencing them myself there's no way I could let my family go out and drive their cars on summers through the winter.

Lee

• Like 1

gadgetman, nail on the head, they dont.  

They have drivers that get where they want to go with what they are given.

Actually some of the vans around here have tyres which have an older style tread pattern with lots of tread blocks on them.

These are going to be much better than the not too far from grooved slicks that pass as summer tyres for cars these days.

Actually some of the vans around here have tyres which have an older style tread pattern with lots of tread blocks on them.

These are going to be much better than the not too far from grooved slicks that pass as summer tyres for cars these days.

But as I previously posted, until recent years it was only these slicks which were called summer tyres.

But as I previously posted, until recent years it was only these slicks which were called summer tyres.

It's not just the tread pattern but the compound and that's mainly down to the speed rating.

Even some 1.6 diesel hatchbacks now come with W (168mph) or Y (186mph) rated tyres. For a tyre to stay stable in high temperatures at full load rating at those speeds requires a compound that will harden in temperatures below 7 degrees.

• Like 1

In the eighties you could already feel the difference between SR (up to 180km/h) or HR tyres (up to 210km/h).

The SR could handle snow pretty well, the HR not at all. (slope? I didnt see a slope! But got stuck......)