Carrier Bags - What You Need to Know

Hyphons

Our local tiny Coop had a spree of using them things once. you put a loaf of bread in it and you had to squash the bread to reach both handles with the same hand. Horrible things.

Yep there the ones only seem to appear occsionally

I was chased off the forum by a feminist moderator but for now at least.

I'm back :bandit:

I think people just do not think or realise how stupid they sound at my shop, when they spend a tenner on tops, but get all huffy and puffy when they need to pay 10p for a bag :wall:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think people just do not think or realise how stupid they sound at my shop, when they spend a tenner on tops, but get all huffy and puffy when they need to pay 10p for a bag :wall:

Example - (this was a few minutes ago) one of your hard men bad boy type bloke came in (you know, the ones that "talk like dis man, you know what I'm sayin bruv?") he bought a jacket for £4.99 I did my usual "would you like a bag? We do have to charge 10p for them" well holy **** did he flip! He said "10p man *turns to his mate* hey yo man this fool gonna charge me 10p for a bag *turns back to me* "na man I ain't paying no 10p for a bag, gimme a 5p one" I say the 5p ones are this size (big enough for a book) and he says *I'll make it work, why you gotta pay 10p? Asda charge 5p man" I say to him "5p is the minium charge, we charge 10p for ours" I hand him the bag to which he miraculously squeezes it in, there is more to the story just not carrier bag related but I mean seriously? He just made himself look even more stupid than he did when he first opened his mouth

To be honest the whole plastic bag thing has made me feel stupid when I remember when I get to the till, I realise how many times I did actually use a plastic bag for no reason and could have carried the items. I now have a little fold up bag for life with me to avoid it now.

When I was doing my weekly "Family-sized" shop at the local Lidls, I never used to pack the stuff in plastic bags 'cause the counter tops downstream of the cashier were tiny on account of the fact that the majority of the customers ((From the local Council estate) were "Little and often" merchants. So I was the fly in the logistics ointment and was always getting menacing looks when my 40 or so items landed on the conveyor. So to minimise the possibility of the sons of toil (Hah !)getting hot under the collar about the delay I was causing, I always  put my scanned stuff, loose, straight into the supermarket trolley and then, in the car park, decanted into a couple of those old fashioned laundry/laundrette bags (The ones with the formed handles) - being designed to hold the weight of damp washing, they were more than strong enough.  Easy peasy.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Example - (this was a few minutes ago) one of your hard men bad boy type bloke came in (you know, the ones that "talk like dis man, you know what I'm sayin bruv?") he bought a jacket for £4.99 I did my usual "would you like a bag? We do have to charge 10p for them" well holy **** did he flip! He said "10p man *turns to his mate* hey yo man this fool gonna charge me 10p for a bag *turns back to me* "na man I ain't paying no 10p for a bag, gimme a 5p one" I say the 5p ones are this size (big enough for a book) and he says *I'll make it work, why you gotta pay 10p? Asda charge 5p man" I say to him "5p is the minium charge, we charge 10p for ours" I hand him the bag to which he miraculously squeezes it in, there is more to the story just not carrier bag related but I mean seriously? He just made himself look even more stupid than he did when he first opened his mouth

:rofl:  

N

• Like 1

Lidl & Aldi did not want you packing your bag at the till, hence the loading your bags shelf at the window,

which stupidly i never knew until there was a thread on Briskoda that taught me the errors of my ways.

Bugger beat me to it :( 

I was chased off the forum by a feminist moderator but for now at least. 

I'm back :bandit:

Glad to see you're now venturing back out of the Briski Bikers section Gary!

buddy_christ-3.jpg

Although overall I'm in favour of this - we always re-use our carrier bags anyway - have one of those tube things in the cupboard to store them in once unpacked. There is a potential sexual discrimination angle here, unlike my Mrs who has the ability to carry a fold up bag in her handbag - as a Male I don't tend to have any way of conveniently carrying a shopping bag for if/when I pop in for some unplanned shopping.

So I'm at a disadvantage here - so in someways I'm not keen on it. Planned shopping trips are always carried out using bags for life.

post-73816-0-74423000-1444594998_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-08653600-1444595011_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-06855200-1444595025_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-43928800-1444595040_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-08832100-1444595068_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-68948200-1444595080_thumb.jpgpost-73816-0-70129900-1444595119_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There is another alternative.. shocking and ingenius as it may seem...

Its called tetris stackimg your stuff and carrying it to your car..

After a while you pretty damn good at it!

• Like 1

Where are you located kit?

I still smile when i read the stuff here and links about 5p charge... 22c was about 15p when our lot started the trend with bag charges.. and i dont remember there being as much moaning.. people gave out, and then got over it...

Dublin.

Repost....

Tipperary (town) is where i actually grew up :)

Its now an absolute **** hole... was never brilliant tbf, but i hate the place now!

Also the song is believed to reference a london brothel whose "madam" had the surname tipperary. That said, there was a ww1 convalecence hospital in tipperary town too... which was another believed reference - that getting to there was a very long road of beimg wounded surviving and recuoerating enough to end up there.. who knows really.. i reckon the brothel story is more likely though!!!

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 2