Rail workers...... tips for me?

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Got an assessment on Tuesday, sounds like a load of tests, Group Bourdon test, RAAT test plus some other bits. I've got a big attachment in the email I've yet to go through but just thought I'd ask if anyones got any tips for me. 

From what I can gather the Bourdon test is the dots, testing concentration, dunno what the RAAT is. 

Any help appreciated! 

good luck, Matt.

You may also have a Ishihara test to check for colour blindness.

Given hes a bus driver, id say hes had one already, and as is required - failed ;) :p

I assume its for driving?

Ive not done them, as id go off my nut sitting there all day, but ive heard the reaction tests are are the hardest of the lot...

Btw thats the raat - Reaction And Agility Test i belive..

Auric will be along to confirm no doubt - once the cellulitis has spread to his nether regions ;(

Edited by mac11irl

good luck, Matt.

You may also have a Ishihara test  to check for colour blindness.

They look like retro italian door signs lol. 

Given hes a bus driver, id say hes had one already, and as is required - failed ;) :p

Ive not done them, as id go off my nut sitting there all day, but ive heard the reaction tests are are the hardest of the lot...

Auric will be along to confirm no doubt - once the cellulitis has spread to his nether regions ;(

It's for Train Guard/Manager, apparently to work near the tracks at all you need to do most of the tests?  :peek:  It's all new to me tbh lol. 

good luck, Matt.

You may also have a Ishihara test  to check for colour blindness.

You will definitely need to do the colour blindness test, no matter what you are already doing.

(and we have to do it again every 3 years, and every year after 60!) 

If the reaction tests are the same as the signaller's one's they start off easily and get harder!! If they have sent you any practice tests DO them!

• Like 2

They look like retro italian door signs lol.

It's for Train Guard/Manager, apparently to work near the tracks at all you need to do most of the tests? :peek: It's all new to me tbh lol.

I cant really say much regardimg testing/training required on N/R as im an Irish Rail engineer... but i have heard via some training consultants and the like tht its gone verry rigourous on UK network..

• Like 1

You will definitely need to do the colour blindness test, no matter what you are already doing.

(and we have to do it again every 3 years, and every year after 60!) 

If the reaction tests are the same as the signaller's one's they start off easily and get harder!! If they have sent you any practice tests DO them!

Cool, I would assume the colour blindness test would be in with a medical? I have to go to London for one if I pass the tests. 

I'll read the info tomorrow and see whats in there. 

Cheers all! 

• Like 1

Good luck ,mate. But then, IF you ever have to get out of train and on to track- the most important one is the PTS.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I've run through the pack sent in the email, I have to do a reading test, answering questions about a paragraph of text. A selling and checking tickets test, a Groupe Bourdon test and a structured interview. Practiced it all, seems alright, no idea what the pass marks are but from some reading on the net I'm doing alright on the Bourdon test. From what I can gather I then get a offer in principle if I'm successful, then sent for the medical and if all is ok a proper job offer. 

Best keep practicing. 

• Like 1

The Bourdon, SCAAT test is generally for entry into the driving grades.

I've been on the footplate a smidge under 30 years so have never had to do any of these tests that new entrants have to do, all I know from others who have had to do them is that it's the quality that matters not the quantity.

The Bourdon, SCAAT test is generally for entry into the driving grades.

I've been on the footplate a smidge under 30 years so have never had to do any of these tests that new entrants have to do, all I know from others who have had to do them is that it's the quality that matters not the quantity.

We signallers now have to do those tests on entry.

• Like 1

From what I can gather even if I was applying to work on the platform I'd need to do this stuff?

Just spent a hour smashing through some more, once I get my head in the right place I'm going like a train (:D) hopefully I'll pull it off. I'll **** myself at the interview part but can only do my best.

Yep, well done Matt. You going for on board Train Manager Yes ?.  Before Train managers they were called Conductors, I was a Conductor for 9 years before I went driving.  God luck with the interview, once your in the world is your oyster.  

You planning on going driving ?

• Like 1

Beats the crap out of working for a living driving buses. 

Everyone I know who has managed to get into trains from buses has said it is the best thing they have ever done; same enjoyment, less nonsense, stacks more money and better conditions.

I wish you well, sir!

• Like 1

We signallers now have to do those tests on entry.

Which box/boxes are you at?

I'm in one of the two NR national telecom controls and deal with signallers everyday.

Yep, well done Matt. You going for on board Train Manager Yes ?.  Before Train managers they were called Conductors, I was a Conductor for 9 years before I went driving.  God luck with the interview, once your in the world is your oyster.  

You planning on going driving ?

Yeah, I think LM call them 'Senior Guard'. I'm unsure about going on to become a driver, I'd love it I'm sure but I dont know if I'd maybe get a bid bored up after a while, especially with the possible lack of interaction with people.

Everyone I know who has managed to get into trains from buses has said it is the best thing they have ever done; same enjoyment, less nonsense, stacks more money and better conditions.

I wish you well, sir!

Same here, I've got a friend who left where I am now, she done a year as a guard then went on to become a driver. She cant speak highly enough of it, loves it and loved it when she was a guard too. 

The position isnt for a while, just gotta wait for the interview date and prepare as best I can. Not had one for about 8 years so need to brush up a bit. I was obviously chuffed I passed but then I found out about 40% get past the tests the other 60 fail, maybe I'm not as stupid as I look :D