mpg?

anst11

Hi guys, Got my SEL110 and very happy with it, haven't checked it all out yet as I haven't had the chance but so far so good anyway.

I have heard this topic before on some forum thread somewhere but just a quick question about MPG in a new car....

Maybe it's just me, 180 miles on the clock but I find it's going down rather quickly. I realise its a 1.2L. It still states around 35 - 38mpg around town which is MILES better than my last old car, just wondering if this indeed does increase and settle down or if this potentially filing up more often, regardless of efficiency, is an aspect I should get used to? 

I only do 15 miles a day in stop-start traffic to work, and in my old car I filled up once a month despite how bad it was for efficiency. At this rate I'l be filling up more than my old car!

thoughts?

Edited by anst11
  • Like 1

Our 110 Monte Carlo does high 30's around town, but with the AC on that figure drops significantly though.

45 ltr fuel tank isn't very big either so you would need to factor that in against your old car.

I have the sel 90 petrol engine. Since April when i got the car I have done 4.5k  I can feel the tightness has gone out of the engine. I followed the advice in the hand book about running in and I am getting 35/40 round the town and on the motorway up to 50. The car will happily cruise at 70 on the motorway though gets better economy at 60 so I would say an overall average of 40/45 which is about 8/10 miles to the litre so 400 to 450 mile range on a full tank. At my local ASDA store 45 litres would cost me £47.25 :) till the price goes up :(  Joe

8k+ miles on my 110 SEL estate now and consumption has remained at the low 40's around town and low 50s on a longer trip since it loosened up, which took a couple of thousand miles. It's mostly down to your right foot and how keen you are to improve economy! With restraint it is fairly easy to get high 50s on a longer journey. Incidentally, has anyone noticed the 'twin choke' effect on the accelerator pedal? The last 1/4" or so of movement seems to be against a heavier spring, and there is a noticeable increase in power if you use it, especially at higher revs!

• Like 1

You might well notice an improvement in MPG after an Oil change from the factory filled oil.

The first few hundred miles has brake pads and discs still touching slightly until the newness is off them hence the Owners Manual advice on 'Driving in',  

or 'Running in' as it is called in English Speaking countries.

Getting the coatings off them.  Setting tyres pressures etc.

I typically get in the mid 60s to low 70s mpg-wise in my Mk3 1.4TDi 104bhp.. but I find it does seem to burning more fuel than my Mk1 1.9 TDi 100bhp did over the same routes.. not sure why as of yet.. could be bigger tyres.. could be a few things in all honesty.. does the LO setting on the climate control activate the air-con, or is it just running as heater off? did wonder about this, because it still sounds like there's something being pumped through pipes somewhere when it's in the LO setting.. I rarely have the aircon switched on, so I know it's not that which is using the extra fuel.. Just got to around 8000 miles now..

I typically get in the mid 60s to low 70s mpg-wise in my Mk3 1.4TDi 104bhp.. but I find it does seem to burning more fuel than my Mk1 1.9 TDi 100bhp did over the same routes.. ..

You accidently got an EA189 engine.... :)

• Like 1

I must admit, in my current Fabia MK1 I've changed my driving style. My average MPG on the car claimed around 35.6...after switching my driving style a year later it now claim 41.7. I know 6mpg isn't much but it's amazing what you can gain from not banging it around (in my case anyway!)

Just returned home to North Wales from a trip to Scotland.

Mostly A Roads and Motorways at what might be considered to be 'Eco' driving.

From re-filling the tank, worked out the consumption at around 62 mpg although the trip computer was frequently showing 65 - 66 mpg.

Our 1.2 TSI (110) is manual and has just over 4000 miles on the clock.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I've got a Monte Carlo 110 and just did a 900 mile round trip to Scotland on mostly motorway and averaged 51mpg. I use the speed limiter for most of the journey which isn't the most efficient when it comes to lumpy bits. Range is very impressive for such a small (petrol) car.

She's now at 2,700 miles. There has been roughly 5mpg improvement since I picked it up.. Vast majority of my driving is 100 miles+ so I've only paid attention to fuel economy then.

I've got a Monte Carlo 110 and just did a 900 mile round trip to Scotland on mostly motorway and averaged 51mpg. I use the speed limiter for most of the journey which isn't the most efficient when it comes to lumpy bits. Range is very impressive for such a small (petrol) car.

She's now at 2,700 miles. There has been roughly 5mpg improvement since I picked it up.. Vast majority of my driving is 100 miles+ so I've only paid attention to fuel economy then.

How does the speed limiter work Oni? Can you essentially boot it but the car will only rev enough to maintain the speed you have set?

Curious as I semi-regret not getting cruise control on my soon-to-arrive Monte Carlo, as I do suffer from throttle leg ache on long journeys and wondered if you set the limiter if you can essentially rest your foot fully on the gas and not exceed the set speed.

Cheers in advance!

How does the speed limiter work Oni? Can you essentially boot it but the car will only rev enough to maintain the speed you have set?

Curious as I semi-regret not getting cruise control on my soon-to-arrive Monte Carlo, as I do suffer from throttle leg ache on long journeys and wondered if you set the limiter if you can essentially rest your foot fully on the gas and not exceed the set speed.

Cheers in advance!

I have the cruise option and the speed limiter and yes you are right out in 70mph on the speed limit setting and no matter how hard you press the go pedal you cannot go faster than 70!

I have cruise control on my SEL and done 1 big trip so far and it's already paid for itself. My right foot used to ache heavily after 2/3 hours on my old car. Now all I do is relax and brake if needed. it's great. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting it over any other option. I go theated seats too, which I don't really need (but its nice for winter!) cruise control is a must. 

• Like 3

I have the cruise option and the speed limiter and yes you are right out in 70mph on the speed limit setting and no matter how hard you press the go pedal you cannot go faster than 70!

Thanks for the info bud, so it's not bad halfway house to having something like cruise control!

The only difference that you have to put your foot on the accelerator but don't need to have it pressed down 75% of the way to go at 70mph!

You can almost use the throttle as a footrest!

Sent from my Moto G

Really? Sounds dangerous tbh.

Ive been told before that you can over ride it if you give it 100% throttle.

Cheers in advance!

Is it retrofittable on the mk3 yet?

It was on the mk2