Confused On What Tyres To Choose? - Updated - bought Nokians

Hi Peeps

I have looked at other tyre threads but could not find an answer to the question that I have!

I'm going to need new rubber all-round within the next month with 4 wheel alignment & I'm not sure what tyres to go for? I'm stuck between CSC 5 & Goodyear F1 AS2? maybe even PS3?

I always buy my tyres from camskill as they seem to be having some good prices lately & it's just easier for me to buy from them as I have an account with them.

For those people that have changed there tyres! what have you changed too? & what type of mileage/wear have you had from them ;)

I have read a lot of reviews as regards the mentioned tyres above from a review website but there is quite a bit of mixed reviews, which has confused me even more  :sweat:

Any advise/input will be extremely appreciated  :thumbup:

Edited by Gizmo68
Title updated

There ain't much available in an all-season tyre in this size 225 40 18 & there quite more expensive to be fair!

Think I'll stick to normal tyres rather than all-season but thanks for the heads up Huskoda  :thumbup:

Goodyear F1's are a fantastic tyre. I had these on the front of my previous GTD and they were far better than the Potenza S001's as per OEM fitment on the new one.

Loads of all dry/wet grip, quite quiet, seemed to wear quite well and had v good rim protection.

Probably be what i try to get fitted to it when it needs new front boots.

• Like 1

There ain't much available in an all-season tyre in this size 225 40 18 & there quite more expensive to be fair!

Think I'll stick to normal tyres rather than all-season but thanks for the heads up Huskoda  emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Where are you looking? Tyreleader (where I buy all my tyres from) have quite a selection:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/weatherproof/225-40-r18-92v-333493

• Like 1

Where are you looking? Tyreleader (where I buy all my tyres from) have quite a selection:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/weatherproof/225-40-r18-92v-333493

Cheers ;) that is one website I was not looking at, they still average between £25-£30 per corner more but saying that, it has given me food for thought, especially as I'm predicting a bad winter this year  :D  like every year, so that bit extra in cost will prevail over the harsh weather & with the power of the vRS these should help out great for traction & grip 

some extra info on the Nokian tyres http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2015-03/nokian-wrd4-and-weatherproof-tyres/

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Nokian-Weatherproof-All-Weather-Preview.htm

what to do!  :|

I have just bought a set of the Nokian Weatherproofs, from tyreleader, funnily enough, but haven't had them fitted yet.

I suspect I won't realise if I have made an error with these, till the weather gets warm again.

• Like 1

Cheers guys for your input & replys ;)

Just hope I don't leave it too long because I've got a feeling that the tyres will soon go up in price?

I'm intrigued by these Nokian tyres, there does seem to be a lot of good previews on them & realistically they are only slightly £15 per corner more than most normal tyres I'm looking at, with that link Huskoda should me. So that has made the price drop down £10-£15 per corner :) with that being said, do the Nokian's still look decent under the arches! I suppose no different than a normal tyre.

If so, I will probably order the Nokian's by this week & just have them sitting around until November especially as the price might start to creep up

I have not used Nokian all seasons but I am on my third set of Nokian winters (A3, D3 and now the new D4) do I rate them? well I wouldn’t buy a different brand! 

I have also used them in the summer whilst getting wheels refurbished and they were fine, OK if you are pushing them to the limit then I dare say you will get to the limit at a lower speed but driven normally (even briskly) I have no complaints with them.

• Like 1

I do find the CSC 5 grip quite well in the dry, in the wet there not too bad either, are the Nokian's on par in terms of grip in the dry? Seeing that there a all-round season tyre obviously in the wet they will be good but is the grip just as good as the CSC 5.

I use to have rainsport 3 on a different vehicle but found the grip in the dry ok but found them better in the wet!

I was running 205/55/16” Nokian winters and 225/40/18” Continentals so not an ideal comparison, yes the Nokian’s rolled a bit more in the corners but being a higher sidewall (not to mention narrower tyre) that was expected. 

Even with 200bhp going through them (Shark mapped 170CR Superb) they gripped as good as the Continentals off the mark and are nothing short of amazing in the wet and cold (and snow) winter.

• Like 1

I'm getting my Nokians from the UK distributor. They were £2 more per tyre than Oponeo, but I know that price will hold over the next month or so. My last tyres weren't Nokians and came from mytyres. Returning them under warranty was an awkward process. That shouldn't be the case this time around in the unlikely event that lightening strikes twice. My size is on backorder but should land in the next couple of weeks just about when I can begin to appreciate them.

• Like 1

I bit the bullet this morning :) & purchased the Nokian tyres from Tyreleader ;) so now I can't wait until they get delivered, Once I have these fitted in November sometime, I will update this thread with a little feedback but will probably be after a few months etc... So I can get to run them in & test them out properly.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations & advise  :thumbup:

• Like 3

I bit the bullet this morning :) & purchased the Nokian tyres from Tyreleader ;) so now I can't wait until they get delivered, Once I have these fitted in November sometime, I will update this thread with a little feedback but will probably be after a few months etc... So I can get to run them in & test them out properly.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations & advise  :thumbup:

Excellent choice :) Here's what they look like on a Yeti - hopefully you'll have a lot less arch gap than this!

gallery_80615_568_180118.jpg

and I wonder if you'll get the free gift that came with my set back in August

gallery_80615_568_80096.jpg

1500 miles done on them now, and no complaints. They were fine in the warm late August/early September and have been excellent in the wet. We've only had a few days with cold temps, so it's hard to say how they'll behave later, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with them (though they were a little noisy for the first 150 miles).

• Like 1