Find the ads for your first car

MickeyB

Ok, so I thought this game up when I was taking part in the (painful) 6 month wait when I pre-ordered a soon-to-be-released new car, and the 6-7 months was starting to drag on and on..and on..

Basically, you need to find and post any printed or televised advertisements for your first car: it can be quite an entertaining process, especially when the year of manufacture was in the mid 80's or earlier... Cheesy ads, "modern" special effects, you get the idea!

Unfortunately I'm not iPhone savvy enough to post mine, but if you want a laugh, look up the GJ Mitsubishi Sigma ad on YouTube..

Let the game begin!

• Like 1

Mine was a 1967 1200 super which cost £75 it had so much filler I'd have killed you with asbestosis if I'd have crashed into you.

• Like 3

This was technically the first car i ever drove:

My first "on the road" car at 17, ended up having five of the wonderful things.

I've got all the brochures from the dealers, so innocent and simple, showing the joy of the open road; seaside visits, picnics and so on.  None of the uber cool abstract nonsense used to sell cars today.

Feeling all nostalgic now.  They folded into a big flat double bed inside too, which gave rise to many, many adventures of youth, too.  :sun:

• Like 1

My first "on the road" car at 17, ended up having five of the wonderful things.

I've got all the brochures from the dealers, so innocent and simple, showing the joy of the open road; seaside visits, picnics and so on.  None of the uber cool abstract nonsense used to sell cars today.

Feeling all nostalgic now.  They folded into a big flat double bed inside too, which gave rise to many, many adventures of youth, too.  :sun:

Dad had 3 of them and they were very basic. I've been watching a lot of Russian dashcam videos/fights over the last few days and that got me wanting to try and buy a Lada. Only one on AutoTrader was an estate. :(

• Like 2

Dad had 3 of them and they were very basic. I've been watching a lot of Russian dashcam videos/fights over the last few days and that got me wanting to try and buy a Lada. Only one on AutoTrader was an estate. :(

Would surprise you how heavy and thirsty they are and the terrible crash protection too!  Dreadful to drive if you're not used to that era, but appealing in their own way-and huge fun if you had the ability to out-drive someone in a better car...!

Steering was an art, take up the 3" slack, steer, take up the slack, steer, brakes were an on/off switch and the gas pedal came from under the dash and was nothing, nothing, nothing ROAR.

A sturdy, heavy car re-engineered from a 60s Fiat design for rural Russia and with many niceties if you communism, but lethal on today's roads!

I just loved the anti-brand, the simplicity and the amazing ability on rough tracks.  I was forever taking girls to stunning remote places for in-car camping and picnics and laughing at my mates trying to pull in their "better" cars :sun: