Columbus SatNav hates M1 J19

Over the last couple of weeks we have made a few trips north to Birmingham and Telford on the M1 and M6.  Junction 19 of the M1 joins to the start of the M6 and every time we have used it the SatNav gets lost.  The indicator ends up in the middle of a field.  On sunday it took half an hour to find its away again and then in the evening it couldn't find its way back to the motorway at all.  In fact, it was Monday morning before it was able to get back on track.

Does anyone know why this should happen and why it takes so long to get back on track?

Conor

Go into the GPS data on the split screen menu and check how many satellites are visible and how many it has a lock on. You might have a dodgy antenna if it's taking a long time to get back on track. The Columbus takes data from the CANbus so it knows the car's speed and steering input, so even without GPS reception it can still use dead reckoning, but the accuracy is terrible over any distance. The good news in the case of a bad antenna is replacements are about €10-15 on ebay... 

this one of the reasons i changed my roof aerial to gps & phone so i got the best signal for both / i find going to nottingham a pain with all the road works even though I'm on v12 maps.

I've been driving through this junction 3x a week for the last 10 years. They're in the middle of a 2.5yr project to improve it. Going eastwards they moved the slip road about a year ago; westwards they opened a new one about 2 weeks ago. It's obviously confused a lot of people as they have a matrix sign up saying 'NEW ROAD LAYOUT. IGNORE SATNAV'. I assume it will move again, as you currently join the M6 in lane 3, which is unusual in my experience (in the UK, anyway)

I've a similar problem

If coming from West Cumbria to go south down the M6 at Penrith the Columbus sat nav doesn't seem to know about J40 as it always sends me north to J41 to come all the way back down past J40 then South. But when I drive onto it, it sorts it self out and knows am there. It's strange as that junctions been there as long as I know