Real World MPG figures

In my dsg 190 I'm getting between 45 to 51 mpg on my daily commute. Done 500 miles so far. Already a touch better than my old 170 TDI vrs

Wow. Anything like that for me would be a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ealing to York including quite a bit of stop start motorway and cruise set at 80 mph when clear, 63mpg according to obc.

4 hour journey time so not hanging around (225 miles)

2.0tdi 150 hatch

Edited by teebs
  • Like 1

With all respect, you are talking nonsense. I drive a taxi for a living and have done for the last 12 years. My 1.9 105bhp 09 Superb would give me around 40mpg around town. That's no dual carriageways or motorways, just town driving. My 2.0L 170bhp 63plate Superb is giving me about 44mpg around town and at a steady 60-65mph on a motorway run I am seeing about 65mpg.

Granted, I'm going on the maxi dot figures but even if they are off by as much as 10% (which I don't think they are) then it's still a far higher mpg figure than you suggest it should be.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, I think the poor MPG figures quoted for the Superb III are down to remapped ECU's since dieselgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erm... Which bit was meant to be nonsense? You just agreed with me on both points lol.

As I said my older 1.9 105hp mk2 Superb returned very good economy, so we agree there.

I also said modern ECU maps for economy and emissions don't help real world, but are great for the NEDC test, so we agree there.

My point was I'm not surprised the newer engines aren't all that because that's been my experience also. Given the active regeneration (i.e. squirting fresh diesel into the exhaust to burn off the DPF) and all the EGR gubbins etc it's hardly a secret that many modern diesels aren't anywhere near as economical as some assume. As we've seen, some people in this very thread think it's Škoda themselves advertising 70mpg+ (when that's not the reality at all), and then being disappointed they 'only' get 50mpg!

At a 'steady 60mph' or so, my mk2 1.9 PD TDI gave 78mpg (OBC) which equated to 73mpg brim-to-brim once calculated, on a Liverpool > Brighton run through the night. I still have the photo from the maxidot somewhere. I wasn't knocking diesels but rather people's expectation of them. For me, real world, petrol is proving much more economical for my usage after 10 years of driving diesel. The newer ones just aren't set up the same any more and can't meet my demands.

• Like 1

Cardiff to Heathrow today on a brand new engine, ACC set to 85 i returned 44.2 door to car park. Included 50 minutes stop start traffic, with the auto stop/start deactivated. I'll try a slower cruise on the return journey as i was late this morning. For comparison, my leon cupra 280 would have given me around 32 in same conditions. At a steady 70 it was capable of 38.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

But some people complaining they 'only' get 45 to 50mpg? With today's emissions technology I'm amazed it's even that. My last diesel was a 2.0 CDTI Astra and that was pulling 28-30mpg cold around town and 45mpg if I really tried on long steady motorway runs. That seems about the norm with modern diesels

I was referring to this. The two examples I gave you are of cars that are nearly 5 years apart, yet the mpg average on them is similar, except for the fact that the more modern and much more powerful engine is returning the better fuel economy. Bare in mind that even the 09 had a DPF fitted, so we are not talking about pre-DPF versus modern engines.

I was referring to this. The two examples I gave you are of cars that are nearly 5 years apart, yet the mpg average on them is similar, except for the fact that the more modern and much more powerful engine is returning the better fuel economy. Bare in mind that even the 09 had a DPF fitted, so we are not talking about pre-DPF versus modern engines.

We're pretty much on the same page in differing terms, to be fair mate. Although you picked up on my mentioning DPFs, I did also mention such things as increasingly complex EGR, injector and ECU setups which all play a part. I doubt anyone would disagree that the 1.9 PD and the later CR engines are worlds apart in design and implementation. You did yourself say the crap MPG on all the new cars people are complaining about on here 'could be down to dieselgate ECU maps' (paraphrased). To my knowledge no such maps have been pushed out yet, and any recalls still pending, so it could well only get worse. I did type out a fair bit more but I don't want to take this thread OT, so I've deleted it.

None of my concern anyway as I'm waiting for a lovely SE-L Exec 2.0 TSI and couldn't care less how many lumps of coal it eats lol. Just some passing observations from my own personal experience before switching back to petrol after ten years of doing 50k a year in diesels. Cheers. :)

Edited by Derv

With respect the point that you are missing in return is that Škoda aren't claiming anything. :)  The figures they publish are those given to them by the NEDC testers, and it's the only figure they're allowed to advertise by law. 

I don’t care who actually does the testing, but when Škoda claim their engines:  

These engines are expected to offer up to 30% lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the outgoing Superb range.

They are actually using more fuel not less!

Funny how since the emissions scandal broke Škoda have removed this claim from their website!  :notme:

Jay tipI said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, I think the poor MPG figures quoted for the Superb III are down to remapped ECU's since dieselgate.

I too wonder if that has something to do with it

I don’t care who actually does the testing, but when Škoda claim their engines:

These engines are expected to offer up to 30% lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the outgoing Superb range.

They are actually using more fuel not less!

Funny how since the emissions scandal broke Škoda have removed this claim from their website! :notme:

I too wonder if that has something to do with it

The only issue with that theory is that my ex demo was built in July/August and delivered for 1 Sept registration at the dealer and it still has the crappy mileage. This was before the implications of diesel gate broke and, even if work was done in advance of the story breaking, then we would all be seeing similar results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leigh-on-Sea to Chorley via Peterborough. 2 people and a boot load of gear (full of crockery for 100 miles). Peak time driving and blooming cold - Computer said 63.1 for the 545 miles

post-133411-0-79343100-1453372314_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Leigh-on-Sea to Chorley via Peterborough. 2 people and a boot load of gear (full of crockery for 100 miles). Peak time driving and blooming cold - Computer said 63.1 for the 545 miles

Which power train?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I had a 2l diesel mondeo 2 years old and I could only get 47 mpg and I have a light right foot., 

Now changed to 1.4TSI 150 and the computer is showing 37.7 after 185miles.

I ran a Volvo V70 SE with the 163 hp D5 engine & a 5-speed Aisian-Warner auto.

Only had it for 9 months & covered app. 9k miles, & averaged 35.9 mpg, calculated from exact distance covered & the fuel used, from the 1st full tank to the last.

Better than my previous V6 Mondeo Estate, 29/30 mpg so there was a saving, but not enough to make a difference to our lives.

DC

Great result. Is that the 1.6 or 2.0 TDI?

I'm now ⅔ way through my journey from Heathrow to West wales. ACC set to 75mph and normal, engine set to eco. Trip comp showing 52.5mpg. Given the engine is only 200 miles old I'm happy enough.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Q? Do Skoda have any "running in" instructions, either for diesel or petrol?

Back in the day, steady speed cruising for the 1st 5/600 miles was frowned upon!

Honest query, 'cos nowadaysI tend to buy youngish cars, (I've not had a brand new car since '04), so I'm out of touch.

DC

Q? Do Skoda have any "running in" instructions, either for diesel or petrol?

Back in the day, steady speed cruising for the 1st 5/600 miles was frowned upon!

Honest query, 'cos nowadaysI tend to buy youngish cars, (I've not had a brand new car since '04), so I'm out of touch.

DC

I asked the dealer when I bought mine, answer no.

Two observations that confirm this is probably OK. Firstly, all VAG petrol engines that I have owned that have been used hard from the start used little oil throughout their lives, whereas the one that had a gentle start to life was an oilaholic by its mid 60s. Secondly, I have seen many times the end of assembly line rolling road test on several different car plants in Europe over the years, and they frankly thrash them silly (i.e. red lined in first two gears) as part of the end of line quality checks. 

Why would you run it in, what exactly happens on an old engine durng this time, presumably the engine was deliberately overtightened to compensate for wear, so initially friction would be higher as this initial wearing in took place. With modern engines using modern materials and modern precision manufacturing then the engine isn't anywhere near as "tight", plus the oils used are much better at lubricating and cooling so damage due to frictional overheating is eliminated. 

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

On the other hand the owners manual clearly says:

Driving in the engine
The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres. During this period,
the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.
During the first 1 000 km we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the
maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and to dispense
with the trailer.
In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres the engine load can be increased up
to the maximum permitted engine speed.

So I guess you choose whether to believe the dealer or the manufacturer. As this is only a recommendation from manufacturers these days (it used to say must in days gone by) you can, of course, choose to ignore it if you wish. Cant say I believe ignoring the recommendation would reduce risk of problems going forward.

Pays yer money;make yer choices. Me, I follow the recommendations.

A suggestion for owners who do a lot of motorway mileage in their SIII's. If you do the same (or similar) journeys regularly, try a little experiment. Do the journey at 80mph and record your mpg at the end of the journey and then try it at 60mph and do the same.

I suggest this because I once had to do a trip through the night and I had to make sure I was home before the wife left for work to take care of the kids. I put my foot down on the motorway with the cruise control set at 80mph and when I returned the maxi dot showed I had averaged nearly 50mph, I did the same run again and did it with the cruise set at 60mph and the maxi dot showed an average in the high 60's.

It's amazing the difference that 20mph makes to fuel consumption.

On the other hand the owners manual clearly says:

Driving in the engine

The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres. During this period,

the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.

During the first 1 000 km we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the

maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and to dispense

with the trailer.

In the area of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres the engine load can be increased up

to the maximum permitted engine speed.

So I guess you choose whether to believe the dealer or the manufacturer. As this is only a recommendation from manufacturers these days (it used to say must in days gone by) you can, of course, choose to ignore it if you wish. Cant say I believe ignoring the recommendation would reduce risk of problems going forward.

Pays yer money;make yer choices. Me, I follow the recommendations.

I haven't got to reading the manual yet, been too busy at work, and didn't fancy it last night. In which case I'll also follow the manual, but I've not thrashed it, repeatedly above 4k and nowhere near max speed. Wrt to "full throttle" I'm assuming that ACC should not be used in sport mode until run in.....

The manual doesn't appear to differentiate between full throttle and max engine speed. So, no full throttle for first 1500k (inference also being no max revs) and OK for max revs after that (bit what about full throttle). All a bit vague really....

Edited by stever750

I haven't got to reading the manual yet, been too busy at work, and didn't fancy it last night. In which case I'll also follow the manual, but I've not thrashed it, repeatedly above 4k and nowhere near max speed. Wrt to "full throttle" I'm assuming that ACC should not be used in sport mode until run in.....

The manual doesn't appear to differentiate between full throttle and max engine speed. So, no full throttle for first 1500k (inference also being no max revs) and OK for max revs after that (bit what about full throttle). All a bit vague really....

Full throttle and redlining the revs are two completely unrelated things. You can easily perform full throttle accelerations and not even break 2k revs, or potter up to the redline without using anything like full throttle. Škoda suggest doing neither for the first 1,000km. With modern engineering about the only thing you really need to worry about is getting the piston rings seated properly. Everything else is so well machined that even after 100k of abuse they still look like new inside. Plus don't forget the factory will dyno run the engines as well as doing test runs on track after the car is built. Your miles are definitely not the first miles on the engine/car. 

If Škoda wanted a running in procedure following, they really could have worded it more clearly and gone into some more detail. The dealers and techs all seem to say the same thing - drive it like normal and don't baby it too much. A lot of professionals (mechanics, engineers, racers) will tell you that a new engine that's warmed properly then driven up through the revs, before being allowed to slow down with engine braking before repeating it through all the gears will always use less oil, rev freer and return better economy. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Whatever you do, make sure it's thoroughly warm before you push it (whether to the recommended 4k or 7k) and remember that varying the revs is more important than what those revs necessarily are. Seeing as the tyres and brakes need to bed in to work at full efficiency, a middle ground approach is not going to do any harm either way. 

In fact I've just located the owner's manual for the equivalent Passat. The VW manual is a bit more clearly worded and says the following: 

Running in a new engine

Any new engine has to be run in during the first 1,500 kilometres. During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down. 

The style of driving during the first 1,500 kilometres will also affect the engine quality. Even after this time – and especially with a cold engine – drive the vehicle at moderate speeds in order to reduce engine wear and to increase the mileage that the engine can cover. Do not drive at engine speeds that are too low. Always shift down gear if the engine is not running smoothly. The following applies up to 1,000 kilometres:

• Do not depress the accelerator fully.
  • Do not drive the vehicle at more than 2/3 of the top engine speed.
  • Do not drive with a trailer attached.

From 1,000 to 1,500 kilometresgradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed. 

umwelt.png 
If the engine is run in gently, the life of the engine will be increased and its oil consumption reduced.

*shrug*

• Like 1