vRS Mk. II may be hit by increase in annual tax?

vxh26

The 1.4 TSI 180PS 7speed DSG Skoda Fabis vRS is accepted by the British Government as being liable for an annual payment of £145.

VW have recently discovered that there may have been "irregularities" in the way that CO2 emissions were calculated and reported.

If it transpires that VW got their sums wrong

1. will VW make changes to the ECU software
  2. will the tax band change
  3. will Fabia vRS MkIIs start regularly to fail the MOT

Maybe this should be a poll?

They say the same about MPG but nobody in their right mind believes Manufacturer's MPG figures anyhow ;)

vxh26 / vxh28,  maybe best posting that on the VW Forums, or the Audi or Seat ones.

http://vwforum.co.uk

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34712435

Skoda Fabia MK2 vRS is £145,

the VW Polo GTI, Audi A1 185ps & Seat Ibiza Cupra 2013 on are not, they are a band lower......£130

Has the UK Government retracted the Statement made already when it was about Diesels and no change in VED because of the VW Scandal?

?

Where do you get the information on the changes, or are you guessing.

& do you know that a Remapped Twincharger to Stage 1 can do a UK MOT and have lower Emissions 

than a Standard car?

Have VW said that the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kW Twincharger is one of the engines with Irregularities in CO/2 g/km?

Did you know that the Seat Ibiza Cupra, Polo GTi & Audi A1 185ps 

are 139 g/km with the CTHE Engine.

(The VW Polo GTI has been given the 139 g/km CO2 Emissions since 2010 and the launch of it.)

the Skoda vRS was and is from 2010-now 148 g/km,  and a higher tax band already.

(The Seat Ibiza Cupra 2009-2012 with the CAVE Engine is also 148 g/km)

?

So which of the 1.4 TSI 132-136kw Twinchargers from 2010 & 2013 that had EU Testing might 

have Irregularities, would it be the Volkswagen from 2010, and the Audi from 2011 and the Seat from 2013,

or is it the Lighter from the launch Skoda vRS Hatch and Estate with the correct published Kerb Weights,

& the higher class of VED and CO2 Emission figures all along?

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

• Like 2

If they do decide and ECU update is required, I wonder what this will do with power output, idle issues/misfires and certain cylinders being starved of fuel!

Who's going to be the first to find out and will this be a mandatory recall to have any update applied?

This whole new "scandal" is nothing that should be a surprise to anyone...who actually thought that the quoted C02 was accurate in the real world anyway? Everyone knows they are in lab conditions and should be taken with a pinch of salt just like quoted MPG.

• Like 2

Volkswagen have been doing Updates to the 1.4 TSI / DSG Twinchargers since 2009,

Parts, MAPS, Engine, then Parts, sparkplugs, MAPS. (software Updates / Maps) more parts, and the MPG and Emissions are what they are, 

VED is £145.

Maybe other Euro 5.5 / 6, 1.4TSI /  1.4TSI / TFSI ACT/COD owners need to pay attention,

Polo, Golf, Passat, A1. A3, Ibiza, Leon,

Yeti, Octavia, Superb, maybe ones with low VED because of low CO2 Emission figures from the EU Tests.

If the MK2 Fabia vRS is part of it we will no doubt hear sometime soon from someone that knows, 

but it is hardly going to make any difference.   Cars are passing the MOT's as they are now.

(Doh,  mine was being failed this year though, thank goodness for the Switchable map.)

• Like 2

This is a pointless thread imho. The issue is no more specific to the fabia mk2 vRS than it is any other car on the road in the UK. Probably best discussed in the "general car chat" area of the forum.

^^^
  • Like 3

Maybe for the 6th Anniversary Mk2 vRS Meet in 2016 we can get Decals made up including something like these above.

Maybe In the Style of a Tax Disc.

'£145 Paid to Play.'

Ideas please for 2016 Mk2 vRS Get together please if there is to be one. 

I bags Santa Pod again.

• Like 3

Does anyone think the petrol use figures have been fudged as well? I struggle to beat the combined figure on longer trips unless I'm driving Miss Daisy. In my old automatic Focus I would comfortably go under the combined figure without even trying.

Not really complaining, as the fuel use is still lower than the Focus, and the drive is much more fun... just curious as to other people's opinions.

Does anyone think the petrol use figures have been fudged as well? I struggle to beat the combined figure on longer trips unless I'm driving Miss Daisy. In my old automatic Focus I would comfortably go under the combined figure without even trying.

Not really complaining, as the fuel use is still lower than the Focus, and the drive is much more fun... just curious as to other people's opinions.

The way they are tested in a lab may be consistent across all manufacturers but it's a completely unrealistic test.

For a start they are allowed to tweak the car to make it use less fuel (disconnecting the alternator, etc), then the pattern of driving that they have to follow is unrealistically slow and not a fair test of real world conditions.

Over the years, the gap between claimed and real world consumption has grown as cars get optimised for the tests and manufacturers get better at cheating them.

• Like 1

The 1.4 TSI 180PS 7speed DSG Skoda Fabis vRS is accepted by the British Government as being liable for an annual payment of £145.

VW have recently discovered that there may have been "irregularities" in the way that CO2 emissions were calculated and reported.

If it transpires that VW got their sums wrong

1. will VW make changes to the ECU software
  2. will the tax band change
  3. will Fabia vRS MkIIs start regularly to fail the MOT

Maybe this should be a poll?

They say the same about MPG but nobody in their right mind believes Manufacturer's MPG figures anyhow ;)

Why would they fail the MOT?

CO2 emissions don't matter in MOT tests. HC's, CO and lambda are the only things that matter for a petrol car.

• Like 1

Ideas please for 2016 Mk2 vRS Get together please if there is to be one.

I bags Santa Pod again.

Yep Santapod would be an excellent option! I'm happy to get involved with the organising again :-)

Maybe wait until the New Year then get a thread going with a plan to hold the meet in Spring/early summer like this year?

• Like 4

Why would they fail the MOT?

CO2 emissions don't matter in MOT tests. HC's, CO and lambda are the only things that matter for a petrol car.

So we can rule out option three "will Fabia vRS MkIIs start regularly to fail the MOT?" and I gather that the UK Government has said that they will not hit diesels for additional tax so that would rule out option two "will the tax band change?" leaving only the possibility that VW may "make changes changes to the ECU software".

Personally I stand by my belief that VW issued the statement about possible "irregularities" in relation to understating fuel consumption figures and therefore CO2 emissions in order to distract attention from the latest US EPA allegations involving the most precious Porsche Cayenne and Audi A6, A7, A8 and Q5 models.

What sane person believes Manufacturer's MPG figures anyhow?

<SNIP>

What a bizarre YouTube clip.

It sounds as if someone has put a page of The Economist through OCR and then put the result through some text to speech software.

I love the way it renders SEAT and BN (Billion). Other than that, just an academic exercise in software testing?

Bizarre but has information that the Volkswagen Group have failed to clearly release in any language or in a timely manner.

VW tried the drip drip and deny and confuse and leave the public more bewildered and getting disinterested.

Also the lack of clarity from VW left people making posts like #1 in this thread,

based on totally the wrong engine type or the MOT Testing System operating in the UK.