To buy or not to buy, Fabia VRS Mk2

Hi,

I have owned a Fabia VRS Mk1 for 5 years, and had pretty much 130,000 happy, cheap, reliable, quick miles in it.  It is now approaching 180,000, and I feel it is just simply too old, and a lot of expensive bits could be reaching end of life.

So,

Should I consider buying a mark 2 VRS ?  I know coming to this forum is going to give me loaded answers, but it could go either way.

Have any of you gone from Mk1 to Mk2 and with hindsight, was that a good or bad decision?

I understand that some are oil drinkers, but what percentage are "bad", 20% ?  50% ?

And if I were to buy one, what checks could or should I attempt to perform to make sure I don't end up with an oil guzzling nightmare.  If I buy a 2012/13, could I still take it for an oil consumption check if one hadn't been done, and I thought it was bad ?  It seems odd knowing that there is an issue, that I would still seriously consider one, but good ones seem to be very, very good, and their owners rave about them.

Thoughts please,  and if you are super negative about it, similar alternatives ?  You know, half decent MPG, fairly nippy, fairly reliable,  etc etc.  Will be doing 100 miles a day. mainly motorway (Mark 1 Fabia VRS was/is perfectly adequate)

Regards,

SoftyEng.

Percentage wise, it's hard to judge as we normally just hear of the problematic ones on here.

a 2012/2013 car will have the later CTHE engine unit, these are less prone to consumption issues. My old car was an 11 plate car with the older CAVE engine. Mine used some oil but wasn't that bad.

Still miss it sometimes, a year on from trading it in!

Depending on where you buy from (Skoda dealer would be preferable) it will have a warranty of some sort, so if you do find it is using oil, you can get it booked in to be checked. Skoda / VW dealers know the score by now, so it shouldn't be that difficult to get a test completed and results obtained.

Just try and buy the newest car you can.

• Like 2

I had a mk1 for 3 years and now have a 2011 mk 2 from new and its a great little car in fact I'm more than certain

I am the longest consecutive owner on here 4 years and counting. It's definetly a keeper for sure and as goneoffski says treat them with correct fluids and filters and all will be good for years to come by that I mean super unleaded 98 Ron and above. Yes some use oil some don't the good thing is if you buy one at least you've got 28 days from buying it to get to know the usage if any and return if so. Have you had a test drive in one yet ?

I'm four years as well (purchased November 2011). Longest I've kept any car.
  • Like 2

2011 mine. Owned for a year and a half. Mine is quite a drinker but skoda say it's with in limits so I just add oil when necessary. Great MPG when driven easy, 38-45mpg all day long. Hooning it I've seen late teens early 20's.

Keep on top of spark plugs, services etc and correct fuel you'll be sound. More importantly enjoy one and you'll have many good journeys!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had a mark I for 80k.... I have now done over 100k in mark II's (2 cars 50 k in a 2010 CAVE car , non oil user, and in that time I just had a track rod end done, and 52k now in my 2013 estate CTHE, not had to have anything done on warranty, many many track days, and uses a litre of oil every 4-5k , which is fine by me)

mine is a keeper, best car I have ever owned :)

so my advice is GO FOR IT (and get a CTHE if you can afford it ;) )

here's phantom at the ring in Sept :)

11951365_10155871487375467_1594458759786

• Like 4

Had a mk1 vrs for over 5 years and it was awesome little car... But then moved over to the mk2 and this is 100% better, love it non drinker lol gets driven well and modified abit too. Best car I've owned and she's a keeper. If your down my way anytime soon I will be happy to take you out for a spin it in.

Good luck finding one

Ant

• Like 3

I have done this. Loved the MK1, but it was time to get a new one as I'd had it for 5 years. It has a few scrapes and getting them fixed needed time and it wasn't something I had so on a whim I went car shopping. Didn't research too much into the MK2 the looked good and by accident found one at a car shop near mine that was about to be sent to a different part of the county to be sold. I enquired and the offered it me for 7.5k after part exchange with my MK1 (8 years old, needed work doing, the seats were ruined by dog hair) I bought the MK2 and drove away happy. It has the CTHE engine in it, 17000 on the clock 1 owner and other than the alloys being curbed it was in mint condition. The garage sorted the alloys out too.

So far I am really happy. Not worried about the oil / engine. Not noticed any oil going down on the dip stick both hot and cold. Only thing I would change about it, is that I wish it was a manual gear bog and not the 7 speed DSG. I like to drive and it's taken that away. It drinks more fuel too but to me, that's not a big deal, I'm learning to drive more responsibile which means I can enjoy the boot, when I feel I can give it some welly.

Looks like a resounding thumbs up then !   I guess I'd better start looking for one :D

Thanks for the multiple offers of taking me out for a spin in one. Really great offer.  I'll let you know how I get on.

I had a mk1 vRS for 3 years and loved it. Now on our second mk2 vRS (currently Estate CTHE, previously had a Hatch CAVE) and they are also very good. Never had any problems with oil consumption. Very different driving experience to the mk1 but definitely worth swapping into.

As Sharkrider has said, mods make a big difference. The H+R springs on our estate are awesome ;-)

330D estate,  given the "new car must have more power than the previous car" rule and the sheer fun & practicality of a fast small estate but that will most be doing M'way cruising.

Far less bang for buck however !!

• Like 1