Direct Download Link - MIB Columbus ECE 2016 Maps

This is the same for Europe too.

You only get 3-years worth of updates for free.

After that I'm not sure what happens.

unfortunately for us, according to the update portal our subscription expires the day the car is registered, we get no updates.

I have just checked my card and it is FAT32. I would suggest that you blank the card and then extract the archive again but directly into the card rather than doing a separate copy exercise. 

For your info the top level of my card has the following folders/files:

Mib1  - 20.4 GB

Mib2   -  4.13 GB

metainfo2.txt  -  1KB

wmpinfo.xml  -  1KB

You could check to see if you values are the same.

The last file isn't part of the download, it is created by the Columbus when you first insert the card I think after its done a scan.

• Like 1

unfortunately for us, according to the update portal our subscription expires the day the car is registered, we get no updates.

Ouch... Thats not great :( !

hmm, still doesn't work, i had formatted the sd card in FAT32, isn't this correct?

This should be fine.

For Columbus, you don't have to use a SD-Card.

You can use a USB stick or portable hard-drive.

I have just updated mine using a hard-drive.

It had folders containing movies, music & general backup stuff.

I just extracted the zip file directly to the root of the hard-drive & it worked first time plugged into the Aux-USB socket.

• Like 1

Alternatively, if you are having problems you can use the "official" Skoda downloader if you enter your VIN in the update portal site.

If I remember correctly, this downloader also automatically extracts the files to the location of your choice (SD-Card, USB stick etc).

It used to be in Czech but I'd hope it has been updated for English/additional languages by now...

I've downloaded and have the files ready to install on a SD card but have a couple of questions.

- How long does the copy / install process take on the columbus unit?

- Can I do it while driving or must the car be stopped but with power to the unit on?

Cheers.

About an hour and a half. You can still use the Sat nav whilst they are updating. You can also turn the ignition off, the update will continuue for about 10 minutes then the Columbus will turn off. It will resume next time you turn the ignition on.

In other words, start the update off and don't worry about it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On the MIB1 it is about 1-hour.

As Andy states you can start it while you are driving (all functions including navigation are still available).

After the update has copied to the hard-drive it will ask you if you want to restart the unit (you can always say no & the update will be done next time the unit restarts).

the restart takes a couple of minutes.

If you reach your destination before the update has finished it is also fine.

It will just continue from where it left off last time.

I believe zhe update is actually just "copying" the files from the SD-card/USB-stick to the hard-drive.

After a restart it deletes the old maps (or probably changes the folder name) and then renames the new folder to the "working" folder name.

This minimises the "downtime" for the head-unit.

You have an Amundsen then, so you need this thread

General gist is

Take a full copy of your SD card

Download the zip file and extract with WinRAR to a folder somewhere

Delete the entire contents of your SD card

Copy the contents of the folder to the SD card

Put it back in the Amundsen

Will this work on older Columbus variants ? I think mine's 2012 but I've forgotten how to check

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/P134_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1.15.ZIP

When they have downloaded I will check if these are MIB1, MIB2 or both, but I suspect both :) - currently extracting

Hi Andy, It only seems like yesterday that the 2015/2016 maps were available for download but with your help previously I thought I would download the 2016 maps from your link.

I am pleased to say that it was successful but I couldn't believe just how long the entire process took to perform which I do not remember from last time. The download from your link took over 2 hours and a further 14 hours to extract in WinRaR to download onto my SD card. The final process loading into Columbus was very straightforward with the download taking just under one hour.

Thanks very much for providing this service compared with the flawed link on the SKODA web site.

• Like 1

14 hours to extract!

I find it is quicker to extract to a folder on my hard drive and then copy to the SD rather than extract directly to the SD card.

You can use a USB stick or even a USB hard drive to load the maps to the Columbus which can make it a quicker process.

I have just checked the portal, and the downloader for the 2016 maps still isn't there on my chassis number!

• Like 1

14 hours to change how many roads in the UK?

Hardly seems worth the hassle

The download actually seems to cover maps for every country in Europe which is huge so I wish it was possible to choose the countries of interest.

Andyvee's response to me recommended extracting to my computer's hard drive and then copying to the SD card. Although I had already downloaded the maps I undertook the process as suggested and it took just about an hour as far as I could tell as I was not sitting over the PC all of the time.