Navigation Data Update available

The process is very straightforward. Download file to a PC and once complete it will then extract to wherever you select, or an SD card. The process tells you whether or not it was successful. Once complete put the card in the car, go into the menu and choose to update the software. The system checks what is available, and prompts you through the steps.

Once done it simply restarts and off you go. You can also do it on the move but the system is unavailable until completed. The website has a downloadable/printable guide for the process to follow. I used a Sandisk 64GB SDXC Class 10/U3 60MB/s card, and the software reformatted it to a FAT32 from exFAT file system format. Use a blank card (at least 32GB and Class 10/U1) to avoid losing anything due to the reformat. The process warned me it could take 4 hours, but it was done in about 30 mins.

Windows 10 cannot (or I haven't found how to within it) format to FAT32, only NTFS or exFAT which the Nav drive won't work with but the downloaded sorted that. Quite why anyone wants to use FAT32 in this decade puzzles me. Everything should be NTFS or better these days. I haven't used FAT32 for at least 10 years. Perhaps the on board OS cannot cope with anything better than antique disk formats? Mind you Apple kit doesn't like NTFS/exFAT either.....

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We get 3 years of updates.... Can't see it as a warranty issue however devices are pretty bullet proof nowadays in regards to firmware updates.

The process is very straightforward. Download file to a PC and once complete it will then extract to wherever you select, or an SD card. The process tells you whether or not it was successful. Once complete put the card in the car, go into the menu and choose to update the software. The system checks what is available, and prompts you through the steps.

Thanks both for the replies - didn't know about this.

I guess you can pay after the 3 years?

Edited by thepook

I just finished updating using Škoda's own update site, "Update Portal". Took mine 45 minutes to update, although I did interrupt the update a few times while I was also changing vehicle settings. Fortunately it resumes from the point of interruption.

Mind you Apple kit doesn't like NTFS/exFAT either.....

Used an iMac, exFAT formatted 128 GB class 10, no problems at all.

A word of advice for any Mac users;

If using Safari then ensure the Open "safe" files after downloading option in Preferences->General is not checked. Safari is not very good at extracting data that contain uncommon files, especially if the contents uses the Windows "A:xxx/yyy" drive/folder/file hierarchy.

Don't follow the Mac/Unix advice on the Škoda site about copying the Zip file to the SD Card and then extracting it. The Zip file is 24 GB and the extracted data is over 26 GB. Instead, extract the contents to your hard drive and then copy the extracted files/folders to the SD Card.

For this update your SD Card should have a file titled metainfo2.txt and two folders titled Mib1 and Mib2.

Does it impact warranty if you update it yourself?

No. You're encouraged by Škoda to update it yourself - in both the Columbus manual and on the web site.

I guess you can pay after the 3 years?

You'll be able to buy it pre-loaded on an SD Card from Škoda dealers. I suspect you will need to unlock the update with your VIN.

Don't expect it to be cheap - it was 3 figures for the official RNS 510 "Columbus" DVD. Nor was there previously any entitlement to free updates from the moment you drove your car off the forecourt.

I don't yet know if there's an option to pay to extend the 3 year download service, but if you're a private buyer you may not need/want to.

If you bought the car through a dealer then an advantage of staying with the same dealer for servicing is that many of them will do the update FOC when you bring your car in for service. It's in their best interest to keep you loyal.

It was the first thing I asked, both when I bought my Superb II and now the Superb III. Two different dealerships, both said they do it for their loyal customers as a matter of course.

Don't expect to find working pirated copies on the internet, like you can for the DVD. The built-in VIN protection has put a stop to that, though I don't doubt someone will find a way around it eventually.

• Like 1

How does this vin protection work?

Is it embedded in the downloaded file and simply wont install if the car has the wrong vin?

I was thinking this also, as what's to stop you in year 4 taking a photo of a new Superb windscreen VIN and download it's free map update. It must be embedded in the download, sort of the music industry's Digital Rights malarkey on MP3 downloads.

I heard Columbus uses TOMTOM mapping, and if so you could possibly download updated maps direct from TomToms website for a fee. They now have a section covering OEM sat nav with the VAG group being extensively covered. Clearly I would bother my dealer for a free upgrade but it's a fallback plan if SKODA ask silly money for an SD card with new mapping etc!

How does this vin protection work?

Is it embedded in the downloaded file and simply wont install if the car has the wrong vin?

It's called "Component Protection". The VIN is embedded in the infotainment and matched to the electronic embedded VIN of the vehicle. The main aim is to stop stolen units being reset, having new system software installed, serial numbers altered, then sold on as genuine.

The unit simply won't work if the VIN doesn't match - it's locked - until it's been connected to the computer at Škoda and verified as genuine, whereupon the new VIN can be embedded into the infotainment unit.

It's was trialled on Audi some time ago and has angered many Audi buyers who ordered the cheapest audio system for their car and hoped to buy and fit an upgraded system at a cheaper price than Audi charge, only to find that [a] they don't work because the embedded VIN doesn't match the vehicle VIN, and Audi dealers had no interest in getting a privately upgraded unit verified and unlocked. In a way I sympathise because Audi options in the UK are extortionate (or they were four years ago when I last looked).

I'd read on an Audi forum that they were also unable to load the same updates onto different cars, having to download for each car. I surmise it's the same for Škoda, but haven't put it to the test!

• Like 2

I heard Columbus uses TOMTOM mapping, so could you download it direct from TomToms website as they now have a section covering OEM sat nav with the VAG group being extensively covered.

The VW Discover Media Pro, aka Columbus, uses Navteq maps. VW owners are directed to Navteq for their updates (where you need to enter the vehicle model and VIN) whereas Škoda has its own dedicated update portal requiring just the VIN.

• Like 1

The VW Discover Media Pro, aka Columbus, uses Navteq maps. VW owners are directed to Navteq for their updates (where you need to enter the vehicle model and VIN) whereas Škoda has its own dedicated update portal requiring just the VIN.

Thanks for the clarification, but it would be worth checking out the TomTom site as they did (when I was on there the other day updating my 6yo Window system) state that OEM Skoda system updates were available through the My Drives app. Who knows, it would be nice to have another map supplier, no?

But you dont need to enter the vin number. On the Octavia forum direct downloadlinks for both Columbus and Amundsen are posted.

So that is why I wonder how they will enforce it when the 3 years of free updates are up.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification, but it would be worth checking out the TomTom site as they did (when I was on there the other day updating my 6yo Window system) state that OEM Skoda system updates were available through the My Drives app. Who knows, it would be nice to have another map supplier, no?

Well I did just have a quick look, albeit not in depth, but could find no reference. There's the Carminat system, which is Renault, and I know they switched from Navteq to TomTom. Also Lexus, Mazda, Toyota and Peugeot.

As for MyDrive it only lists TomTom devices on the compatibility page.

Is it possible you were looking at POI's, like their speed cameras? POIs are not affected by Component Protection.

• Like 1

Is it possible you were looking at POI's, like their speed cameras? POIs are not affected by Component Protection.

Ahhhh, I see. Never quote stuff when it has been viewed on a tiny mobile screen as maps and POIs are indeed very different. Well spotted that man!

• Like 1

But you dont need to enter the vin number. On the Octavia forum direct downloadlinks for both Columbus and Amundsen are posted.

So that is why I wonder how they will enforce it when the 3 years of free updates are up.

Looking at the Octavia thread, it seems someone's found a backdoor to the Škoda map files without going through the update portal, as the links posted also include RoW (rest of the world) updates too.

Once you know where they are, all you need is the file name (which doesn't require a genius to work out). Smells a bit "dodgy" to me, but if Škoda aren't protecting it....

Reading the posts it does indeed seem the VIN is not embedded for the update (unlike the Audi posts I read) but is required merely to enforce the 3 year free downloads - assuming you go through the update portal!!!

It was also interesting to see someone mention that when they entered their VIN (at the portal?) they were informed their free downloads were about to expire and they had a "renew" option!

• Like 1

I know this has probably been covered elsewhere but is this the update I need to get proper postcode search?

I've just got my new company car a (sel Combi 190bhp) and can't imagine the lease company will be helpful so need info to hit them with.

I've had Vauxhall insignias for 5 years and VX garages just give the "that's not available on lease cars" to queries.

Hi! My superb has an Amundsen with ece 2015/2016 maps.

If i control the site for the update i can read ece 2016. Is the same maps? At the botton i can read that next update will be in may 2016.

Inviato dal mio LG-H815 utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by fabbro76

I am having some difficulty in downloading this update. My PC downloads a .tmp file of 22GB at the speed I would expect from my connection but then it starts to download whatever else (the data files?) at stupid rates that I haven't seen since dial up days. Last attempt said it would take 24 hours!!!

Anyone else had this or am I doing something wrong or missing something in my PC??

thanks in advance

Pete