Navigation Data Update available

How confusing! 

You enter your specific VIN and it puts up an update.

Then there is warning not to download unnecessarily ?

I find ECE 2016 listed on my Columbus; so I dont need to do anything---or do I? If the file size is smaller than last November and there are usually 2 updates per year.

Simply Clever. Either they aren't or I am not.  :swear:

Anyone who has done this all before in previous years any idea if they change the file ref twice a year or just each year? i.e it stays the same for both updates each year.

I think there should be 2 updates per year. My car arrived with ECE 2015/2016 and in November they released ECE 2016. Since then, there was message on Skoda Update site that next release will be in June. Few days ago, I have noticed that they changed message that next update will be in November, although update file was the same (ECE 2016). Today I have noticed that they put ECE 2016/2017 on site. I have Amudsen unit so I guess it will be the same with Columbus.

• Like 1

The latest update on skoda site(marked ECE 2016) for the columbus is holding actually cars from year 2015

"Date = "2015-07-08T18:12:19.341+02:00" - for example the Germany map.

Despite the changed size maps are not changed and we must wait till November for the real update.

P.S. Anyone try to update cards manually in the pakage? i.e. change the maps, change the has and upload?

Just to answer myself: The latest Navigon map is Q1.2016 so "manual" update will not lead to anything better.

Edited by Samo78

I have Amundsen in my L&K and the ECE was 2016 at delivery. On the Swedish site the only update available up until the end of May was 2016. The site now shows 2016/2017 so I decided to update.

The 2016 files were from 2015-08-17.

Using Windows 10 the new file was downloaded using a downloader program supplied by Skoda on their site. I was asked where I wanted to download the zipped file and thereafter where I wanted to unzip the downloaded file. Very simple and without any hassle. All over within 10-15 minutes.

Once done I placed the SD card in the car and there was no need for any uploading of the new files to the unit. As soon as the car started the new maps where immediately there to be used. Previous journeys that I had saved were also available and the unit shows that the maps are now ECE 2016/2017.

My experience was almost as straightforward as SSC's with a couple of minor issues.  I too have Amundsen and I decided to re-use the original SD card provided on delivery.  When I got to the 'unpack' stage, the downloader detected that there wasn't enough free space on the card and offered to delete the existing files on it.  This didn't work at first because I still had the card locked with the little switch on it.  The next attempt still didn't work because the downloader doesn't wait for the delete process to complete before checking for free space again.  I waited for the card reader's activity lamp to stop flashing, then tried again successfully.

My experience was almost as straightforward as SSC's with a couple of minor issues.  I too have Amundsen and I decided to re-use the original SD card provided on delivery.  When I got to the 'unpack' stage, the downloader detected that there wasn't enough free space on the card and offered to delete the existing files on it.  This didn't work at first because I still had the card locked with the little switch on it.  The next attempt still didn't work because the downloader doesn't wait for the delete process to complete before checking for free space again.  I waited for the card reader's activity lamp to stop flashing, then tried again successfully.

Yes, I should have mentioned that D402. I also wondered why I couldn´t proceed until I realised that the SD card was locked.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found another issue probably related to the map update - I was getting an error message, something like "Data incomplete for entire route", when I tried to navigate back home.  The solution was to refresh my address to exactly the same as it was before.  To reset your home address use Setup->Manage memory->Define home address.

• Like 1

I've just found another issue probably related to the map update - I was getting an error message, something like "Data incomplete for entire route", when I tried to navigate back home.  The solution was to refresh my address to exactly the same as it was before.  To reset your home address use Setup->Manage memory->Define home address.

I wonder how Manu of us rushed to read this latest post only to find it has nothing to do with the "navigation data update available" subject. Perhaps better to start a new topic than to raise false hopes that the update has finally arrived
  • Like 1

Not done an update yet as I've only had the car 2 mths, but does it remember all your saved destinations or does it forget them like my 8year old TomTom everytime I update it?

Not done an update yet as I've only had the car 2 mths, but does it remember all your saved destinations or does it forget them like my 8year old TomTom everytime I update it?

I did the November 2015 map update and it didn't have any effect on personal information - Addresses, Contacts, Photos and Personal POIs all remained unchanged.

I've done the June update and all my personal addresses etc. are still in place

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the update last night- Amundsen navi.

Downloaded in 2hrs, unpacked to another class 10 32GB SD card in 5 mins.

When I plugged it into the SD port, I got a "please insert a valid navigation data" message :dull:

Tried another SD card today, un-zipped using 7zip, this time it took 1hr to unzip...still same message. Original card still works.

Amunsden currently has ECE 2016 mapping and update was for ECE 1 2016/2017

Any ideas??????

Edited by Q102

I tried the update last night- Amundsen navi.

Downloaded in 2hrs, unpacked to another class 10 32GB SD card in 5 mins.

When I plugged it into the SD port, I got a "please insert a valid navigation data" message :dull:

Tried another SD card today, un-zipped using 7zip, this time it took 1hr to unzip...still same message. Original card still works.

Amunsden currently has ECE 2016 mapping and update was for ECE 1 2016/2017

Any ideas??????

I believe with the Amundsen you have to use the original SD Card that the maps are installed on.

• Like 1

I believe with the Amundsen you have to use the original SD Card that the maps are installed on.

That's what I did, just backup the original data just in case. Once done just inserted the card back in nav worked straight away, just needed to re input my home address.

Used the downloader to unpack to original SD card- after making a backup first - worked now :clap:

Didn't loose any stored adresses or home location

• 2 weeks later...

At last Skoda have updated the page with Navigation Data update for Columbus. There is now ECE 2017 available to download. (  http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com )

Hmmmm.. Just tried to download got 404 error - file not found. Perhaps the link is there but the file is not yet ready. Will try again later.

Edited by NJB31

You can use the file from a Passat 2016 Discovery Pro for the Columbus unit. Same maps. Download from Navigation.com

It works, updated my maps today. Now it says 2016/2017.

You can use the file from a Passat 2016 Discovery Pro for the Columbus unit. Same maps. Download from Navigation.com

This link doesn't work for me, select Volkswagen then Discover Pro, it offers a map from November 2014. If I click on download it just comes up with an error page...