Car leaking - gearbox wet

Hey all,

Have noticed some oil where I park my car the last few weeks so took my car to my trusted mechanic to check it over. The turbo hose had blown out of a fitting on the drivers side which he sorted, but the gearbox I've noticed has an oily film on top of it.

When he put the car on the ramp, the underside of the gearbox looks to be very wet and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where this could be coming from? He couldn't see the source of the leak in the time he had but said it needs further investigation. The oil didn't smell like gear oil, nor did it really smell like 5k old engine oil. Does anyone have any idea where it might have come from?

Thanks

Photos here

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AE58CEBCBCF18CB9!2305&authkey=!ACVzBWAUTHxQaPw&ithint=folder%2cJPG

The pattern of the oil marks look more likely to be splashed on + on the last picture there is oil on the bottom of the control arm. Couldn't it be from driving over puddle of oil or something? If I were you I would wipe it off and check regularly any new marks.

Looks to me like driveshaft oil seal, pretty standard to see some level of that depending on the age of the car.just my 10p worth!

The pattern of the oil marks look more likely to be splashed on + on the last picture there is oil on the bottom of the control arm. Couldn't it be from driving over puddle of oil or something? If I were you I would wipe it off and check regularly any new marks.

The top of the gearbox also has a fine misting of the stuff. Control arm is wet, I had just driven up a lane. However, the undertray covers the gearbox area.

Looks to me like driveshaft oil seal, pretty standard to see some level of that depending on the age of the car.just my 10p worth!

Car is January 2008 so not a young one anymore ;)

It's in the dealership tomorrow for a persistent judder. It's meant to be having a tandem pump fitted, however today its got far far worse. Accelerating with full throttle now leads to violent judders through the car so who knows what is up with it. Bloody VAG reliability my backside :(

About the only thing you can do with oil misting like that is degrease & have a look after a few thousand km.

Is your AirCon working OK?

Aircon isn't too bad but not the best! The dealership cleaned the engine bay today so will keep an eye on the fluid whatever it may be returning :)

Aircon isn't too bad but not the best!   :)

Just asking because last time I saw something like that the AC condensor had a leak that had blown refrigerant & lubricant back over the engine and then road grime stuck all over it.  AC was fubar though - total loss of gas.

Well - the dealership cleaned off the box and its covered in oil again. It looks to me, to be coming from the casing where the gearbox mechanical bits are in their separate chamber with the oil. It may be leaking from somewhere else and running down there, but its very wet at that point. Perhaps the release bearing is spraying out oil in the bell housing - however the brake fluid reservoir doesn't seem to have moved?

Further point of interest perhaps is that it isn't happy to go into gear when you first put the clutch down - there is a notchyness but once you've selected one gear (without lifting clutch, you can select any others just fine until you raise the clutch to repeat. Also, if you go from overrun to full throttle the rev counter notches up a tiny bit, then drops back. It's not clutch slip, but something has some slack in it. I'm wondering if the gearbox is on its last legs now :(

Hey all,

Have noticed some oil where I park my car the last few weeks so took my car to my trusted mechanic to check it over. The turbo hose had blown out of a fitting on the drivers side which he sorted, but the gearbox I've noticed has an oily film on top of it.

When he put the car on the ramp, the underside of the gearbox looks to be very wet and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where this could be coming from? He couldn't see the source of the leak in the time he had but said it needs further investigation. The oil didn't smell like gear oil, nor did it really smell like 5k old engine oil. Does anyone have any idea where it might have come from?

Thanks

Photos here

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AE58CEBCBCF18CB9!2305&authkey=!ACVzBWAUTHxQaPw&ithint=folder%2cJPG

What engine / gearbox is it?

If it's the diesel 6 speed box with the concentric slave cylinder then this could be clutch fluid. Try and identify by smelling it. This would also cause juddering!! When this leaks (common fault) it is distributed everywhere by the spinning clutch pressure plate and usually coats the clutch friction material as well(hence the juddering)

Follow the clutch hydraulic pipe towards the gearbox. Has it an external slave cylinder or does it disappear within the gearbox?

Edited by bigjohn

What engine / gearbox is it?

If it's the diesel 6 speed box with the concentric slave cylinder then this could be clutch fluid. Try and identify by smelling it. This would also cause juddering!! When this leaks (common fault) it is distributed everywhere by the spinning clutch pressure plate and usually coats the clutch friction material as well(hence the juddering)

Follow the clutch hydraulic pipe towards the gearbox. Has it an external slave cylinder or does it disappear within the gearbox?

It is indeed a 6 speed diesel box mated to a BKD engine. I believe it has concentric slave.... not sure how much clutch fluid it takes to make a mess like it is though? Is it similar to diesel in that a little goes a long way?

It is indeed a 6 speed diesel box mated to a BKD engine. I believe it has concentric slave.... not sure how much clutch fluid it takes to make a mess like it is though? Is it similar to diesel in that a little goes a long way?

I think whatever happens here I see a gearbox removal in your future but it's best to try and diagnose as much as possible before hand. I recon the juddering is related be it clutch, contamination and or DMF. (Juddering on acceleration probably DMF - however you probably need to change anyway!)

Within the bellhousing you have THREE potential sources of leaks :-

1) Engine oil through engine rear oil seal behind flywheel

2) Clucth fluid from the slave cylinder

3) Gearbox oil through oil seal or gearbox casing!

Once leaking the Flywheel/clutch assembly will do a great job of chucking the stuff around (including making a mist!) especially with leaks 2) & 3)

You need to compare the leak to these different fluids. Smell whats on the end of the dipstick to compare etc...

Also do yo have an inspection camera..

Unfortunately all of them now probably involve removing the gearbox anyway to fix but they can be harder to diagnose once removed (you don't want to do it twice!!)

Plan on changing all of the clutch components anyway including full clutch kit, DMF and concentric slave cylinder/release bearing assembly.

You say it doesn't smell like gearbox oil - I hope this is correct as on some cars there are reports of the Sachs pressure plates failing and machining through the gearbox casing (See Superb II link below):-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363426-clutch-eats-gearbox-and-bank-balance/page-3?hl=%2Bconcentric#entry4420741

Good luck....

Edited by bigjohn

I think whatever happens here I see a gearbox removal in your future but it's best to try and diagnose as much as possible before hand. I recon the juddering is related be it clutch, contamination and or DMF. (Juddering on acceleration probably DMF - however you probably need to change anyway!)

Within the bellhousing you have THREE potential sources of leaks :-

1) Engine oil through engine rear oil seal behind flywheel

2) Clucth fluid from the slave cylinder

3) Gearbox oil through oil seal or gearbox casing!

Once leaking the Flywheel/clutch assembly will do a great job of chucking the stuff around (including making a mist!) especially with leaks 2) & 3)

You need to compare the leak to these different fluids. Smell whats on the end of the dipstick to compare etc...

Also do yo have an inspection camera..

Unfortunately all of them now probably involve removing the gearbox anyway to fix but they can be harder to diagnose once removed (you don't want to do it twice!!)

Plan on changing all of the clutch components anyway including full clutch kit, DMF and concentric slave cylinder/release bearing assembly.

You say it doesn't smell like gearbox oil - I hope this is correct as on some cars there are reports of the Sachs pressure plates failing and machining through the gearbox casing (See Superb II link below):-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363426-clutch-eats-gearbox-and-bank-balance/page-3?hl=%2Bconcentric#entry4420741

Good luck....

Wow, thanks for the very detailed and in depth reply! Thankfully the car is still under used approved warranty! It's had a judder at idle for quite some time though I assumed that was related to the timing being retarded too much (torsion of -3.9) however it may all be gearbox related.

It's impossible to pull away smoothly now and there is quite a judder sensation through the car, also the clutch bite seems to be right at the top sometimes and yet others its low - something is amiss inside there somewhere. Unfortunately my car knowledge is mainly back in the xr2 era and the T series rover engines!

Does the VAG gearbox oil still smell like the gearbox oil stench that everyone loves? I haven't been able to get good access to get a good fingertip on the oil and have a sniff, but what I did manage to touch didn't smell like used diesel engine oil, perhaps its clutch fluid as you've stated as there's no stand out smell?

I think I previously mentioned - but if you are on the overrun and then put your foot to the floor the rev counter jumps up approx 100/200 rpm and the vehicle speed doesn't increase. It's not clutch slip so I wonder if something is amiss with the flywheel or perhaps the pickup is plastered in something that is interfering with the signal pickup. The bit about to drip when a friend removed the undertray was very black in colour, but I wonder if thats a fluid mixed with clutch dust or similar.

Will update this on monday eitherway, but I don't hold high hope in them doing anything much about it. I'm hoping they'll sort it though!

Wow, thanks for the very detailed and in depth reply! Thankfully the car is still under used approved warranty! It's had a judder at idle for quite some time though I assumed that was related to the timing being retarded too much (torsion of -3.9) however it may all be gearbox related.

It's impossible to pull away smoothly now and there is quite a judder sensation through the car, also the clutch bite seems to be right at the top sometimes and yet others its low - something is amiss inside there somewhere. Unfortunately my car knowledge is mainly back in the xr2 era and the T series rover engines!

Does the VAG gearbox oil still smell like the gearbox oil stench that everyone loves? I haven't been able to get good access to get a good fingertip on the oil and have a sniff, but what I did manage to touch didn't smell like used diesel engine oil, perhaps its clutch fluid as you've stated as there's no stand out smell?

I think I previously mentioned - but if you are on the overrun and then put your foot to the floor the rev counter jumps up approx 100/200 rpm and the vehicle speed doesn't increase. It's not clutch slip so I wonder if something is amiss with the flywheel or perhaps the pickup is plastered in something that is interfering with the signal pickup. The bit about to drip when a friend removed the undertray was very black in colour, but I wonder if thats a fluid mixed with clutch dust or similar.

Will update this on monday eitherway, but I don't hold high hope in them doing anything much about it. I'm hoping they'll sort it though!

Phew for being under an approved warranty!

Clutch fluid has a funny feel when rubbing between your fingers.

Dip your master cylinder reservoir with a clean piece of kitchen towel to extract a bit of the brake/clutch fluid to compare

Edited by bigjohn

Hey all,

Little update :

The part that has/is failing is not under warranty! The pipe that supplies oil to the turbocharger apparently has corroded and resulted in a very tiny hole / weep. Apparently the warranty company won't pay for this so I was left with a choice of either paying them £230 for the job or buying the pipework for £50 and paying my usual mechanic £60 for doing it! I opted for the latter!

They did at least fit me new glow plugs, car passed its MOT and they finally adjusted my camshaft timing to sort the blasted judder out!

Hey all,

Little update :

The part that has/is failing is not under warranty! The pipe that supplies oil to the turbocharger apparently has corroded and resulted in a very tiny hole / weep. Apparently the warranty company won't pay for this so I was left with a choice of either paying them £230 for the job or buying the pipework for £50 and paying my usual mechanic £60 for doing it! I opted for the latter!

They did at least fit me new glow plugs, car passed its MOT and they finally adjusted my camshaft timing to sort the blasted judder out!

Blimey, that's a new one!

Glad you are back up and running OK

Edited by bigjohn

Blimey, that's a new one!

Glad you are back up and running OK

I haven't had the pipe fitted yet, it's being done on Tuesday. The chap I normally use said he's never had one go though, and that he's unsure if they've even got the diagnosis correct! Time will tell :)

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread as I seem to be having the same kind of sympthoms. Do yoy mind elaborating on tje outcome? Would be nice to know what to expect as I will soon be in for a clutch job.

10 minutes ago, Inex said:

Just found this thread as I seem to be having the same kind of sympthoms. Do yoy mind elaborating on tje outcome? Would be nice to know what to expect as I will soon be in for a clutch job.

Try and identify the fluid dripping - Is it 1)Engine oil 2) Gearbox oil or 3) Brake fluid

1)Engine oil is as per Original Posters problem (rusted turbo oil feed pipe) or oil seal issue

2) Gearbox oil - coud be the Sachs cover plate of doom issue - fails machining through gearbox casing

3) Brake fluid if fitted with a concentric slave cylinde (inside gearbox) - these are know to fail

Can't tell if its brake fluid or not... I have never seen how the vw gearbox oil looks like. Im more used to the Hyundai pink gearbox fluid..

See my recent "a leak or two" post for pics and a better description. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 20:57, bigjohn said:

2) Gearbox oil - coud be the Sachs cover plate of doom issue - fails machining through gearbox casing

What do you mean by this?

Currently trying to find an oil leak thats contaminated my clutch.