Possessed touchscreen again

I've got my car booked in again for a fix on my bolero touchscreen. It's already had a new screen last year because it was selecting it's own stations and changing settings by itself. Up until a couple of weeks ago it's been fine but now it's getting colder in the mornings the problem has come back. It's strange how it's always first thing in the morning when the car is cold and it never happens in the warmer months. I can't even change the drive mode when it happens. The strange thing I found was when I blow very gently towards the screen it thinks I've pressed it and starts changing stuff like radio stations. I'm convinced it's something to do with static in the cooler, moister air. I just don't know what a fix could be. On a side note I found that when I videoed the problem you can see the lights emitted from the proximity sensors below the screen which are invisible to the naked eye. Cool.

I've got my car booked in again for a fix on my bolero touchscreen. It's already had a new screen last year because it was selecting it's own stations and changing settings by itself. Up until a couple of weeks ago it's been fine but now it's getting colder in the mornings the problem has come back. It's strange how it's always first thing in the morning when the car is cold and it never happens in the warmer months. I can't even change the drive mode when it happens. The strange thing I found was when I blow very gently towards the screen it thinks I've pressed it and starts changing stuff like radio stations. I'm convinced it's something to do with static in the cooler, moister air. I just don't know what a fix could be. On a side note I found that when I videoed the problem you can see the lights emitted from the proximity sensors below the screen which are invisible to the naked eye. Cool.

Same here, and only occurs on cold mornings, but on a Columbus. And my previous O3 Columbus started doing it as well but I never got it fixed, just traded it in with a list of faults as long as your arm that Simspons couldn't be arsed fixing as according to them they didn't exist.

I'm going to video mine and get it booked in as well. I tried to plan a route this morning and it automatically planned me a route to Edinburgh without me touching anything, it was bleeping away all to itself quite happily for a good minute or so. Shame I wasn't going to Edinburgh and couldn't get the screen to respond for another minute or so!

It is the screen that goes, so I'm not surprised a new unit in the glovebox didn't fix it :)

I find that if you clean the screen with glasscleaner and a microfibre cloth it reduces it, seems the slightest fingerprint on there affects it when it is cold.

It is the screen that goes, so I'm not surprised a new unit in the glovebox didn't fix it :)

I find that if you clean the screen with glasscleaner and a microfibre cloth it reduces it, seems the slightest fingerprint on there affects it when it is cold.

Try telling vindis that... Backwards isn't the word

Find another dealer, after the first issues you had with Vindis I don't know why you keep going back there.

I ditched Simpsons Colne ASAP. Lookers Stockport, RRG Bolton and RRG Rochdale have looked after me since and have been more than helpful each time. TBH, that surprised me but SUK recommended them on their ratings of the service departments. I normally try and avoid 'chains' in the mistaken belief that a smaller independent family run business would be more customer focussed, I have been proven very wrong.

Edited by andyvee

Find another dealer, after the first issues you had with Vindis I don't know why you keep going back there.

I ditched Simpsons Colne ASAP. Lookers Stockport, RRG Bolton and RRG Rochdale have looked after me since and have been more than helpful each time. TBH, that surprised me but SUK recommended them on their ratings of the service departments. I normally try and avoid 'chains' in the mistaken belief that a smaller independent family run business would be more customer focussed, I have been proven very wrong.

I went to a smaller garage... They couldn't give me a loan car (under their age, apparently) and still couldn't fix it.

Plus I had to take time off work to even get it there...

Vindis kindly let someone drive it with a diamond ring on their left hand, which has left considerable damage to my rear passenger door and the gear stick... Which makes me wonder what they did with my car when they had it nearly two weeks.

Thankfully, I'm getting a work van in a few weeks... So I may just get rid of the car at a loss.

The whole thing is rubbish. The touchscreen is just one of a number of faults with this entertainment unit. The hardware unit in the glovebox often freezes and the dealer's are told by Suk to carry out a Fes clear down on the hardware unit (function clear down ) which is basically a reboot of the hardware unit. I would just continue taking it back again and again to your dealer. Try videoing the faulty unit. Your dealer is hoping that you will go away as it's hard for them and lengthy to get the correct repair. Skoda will only pay the dealer 12 minutes labour to replace the hardware unit. The dealer will spend hour's proving and justifying the hardware unit is at fault. They are fingers crossed you will give up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thankfully I've got a number of videos of the crazy screen behaviour. It happens that often now that I don't turn the radio on for 10 minutes or so now to let the car warm up.

Thankfully I've got a number of videos of the crazy screen behaviour. It happens that often now that I don't turn the radio on for 10 minutes or so now to let the car warm up.

That's sounds like a right pain mate. Hope you can get it sorted once and for all and soon. Would do my head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was doing the same, early 2014 vrs, it took a few visits to the dealer to get it sorted.

The unit in the glove box was changed, that didnt fix it, then the screen was changed, fingers crossed its been ok since.

If left in phone mode it would give a random contact a call if it felt like it! :dull:

Be aware i had to supply video evidence that it was happening before a repair could be made........

Our scout Amundsen does this - selects radio stations randomly and if you go into settings changes these itself. It seems to be when the screen is cold / damp as clears up after 15mins or so, no problems on my Columbus in same conditions (but car gets used twice as much so probably stays warmer / drier)

• 4 weeks later...

Well my car went back in today to get the touchscreen looked at. I was told when I got there that it's normal if it's unresponsive first thing in the morning because the car sends battery power to other systems first which are more important. I smell bull. I told them that it chooses it's own stations and settings and it's also wiped off my stored station logos.

I can smell the bull from here ......

There is a big difference between unresponsive and the screen 'pressing' buttons by itself !

I'm going to video mine as this morning it dialled a random contact all by itself as it had been left on the phone screen.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Picked the car up today. I was told they can't find any problem with it and advised me not to press the screen for a few minutes after I turn the radio on as there could be a delay from pressing the screen to the action because they still insist on start up the car draws power away from the radio to use elsewhere. I explained the screen works by itself without touching it. Incidentally anyone with this issue will find that you can blow on the screen and it thinks you've pressed it, crazy. Anyway I told them I have several videos of the issue so I need to forward them to the service dept. At least today my cold, rattling engine got fixed finally. Replacement clutch plate needed.

Mine does this as well. It'll often change stations by itself, then plot a route to a random destination before finally freezing completely for my entire journey to work. Add this to the rattling B pillars that vibrate away right in your ear, this car is beginning to irritate me.

Picked the car up today. I was told they can't find any problem with it and advised me not to press the screen for a few minutes after I turn the radio on as there could be a delay from pressing the screen to the action because they still insist on start up the car draws power away from the radio to use elsewhere. I explained the screen works by itself without touching it. Incidentally anyone with this issue will find that you can blow on the screen and it thinks you've pressed it, crazy. Anyway I told them I have several videos of the issue so I need to forward them to the service dept. At least today my cold, rattling engine got fixed finally. Replacement clutch plate needed.

This is a well known problem with this entertainment unit. One they will surely know about.

Mine does this on my Golf R, same unit, and only when it's cold. There are a few threads on VWROC, and some get software updates, others get new units.

Mine is a lease car & goes back in 6 month, so I reckon I have to suffer another 3 months of cold weather & phantom station changes & I'll be rid of the problem. I quite look forward to hearing what it tunes into now, bit of a novelty feature :D

On a serious note, if I was purchasing it would be back pronto, and none of that dealer bull.

Yep, I'm waiting for my dealer to decide if they are going to swap the screen or not.

Apparently I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet about diagnosing faults...... :x

Perhaps Skoda should be reading the forums in order to discover the fixes.......

I'm going to push hard for a screen replacement in January, as well as a fix for the DAB reception issues.

Does anyone else lose DAB around Knutsford services on the M6? My first O3 hatch didn't, the newer estate does it every time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk