Curbed my xtreme alloys

Hi

Just after a bit of advice, I curbed two of my xtreme 19" alloys a couple of nights ago. I'm proper gutted. I phoned a wheel refurb place but they won't touch diamond cut alloys and couldn't recommend another place to fix them. I was thinking of just touching them up with a pen using F7S colour mixed at halfords (correct colour?). Has anyone got any better suggestions or recommend someone to sort them around Birmingham.

Attached some pics to show the damage.

Thanks aa54be443189c215de6324d5e2ae82d7.jpg2f827d10bca3896f0c7f05203e215e8f.jpg

I have looked into alloy refurbishment having kerbed one of my standard Gemini's. There is a place near Wrexham that could do it:

http://www.thewheelrestorer.co.uk/home.html

He quoted £200 to refurb my wheel, but it is worse condition than yours!

I'm sure there are others, maybe more local to you but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

No idea on the alloys, but in the first picture, looks like you'll be needing a new tyre too. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the rim protector part.  peel it back and if you can see chords (white cotton-like threads) the strength is compromised.  If it's just black rubber then it will be fine

They are diamond cut so will alway cost more. And a new wheel despite what people say trying buy mine, are well over £240 just for the rim.

I've yet to find one of these magic 180-200 xtreme wheels!

Anyway to the advice, I'd clean that up and add a good layer of alloy wheel protection wax. Until you get it repaired

Thanks for the replys. It's just black rubber so should be OK.£200 sounds a lot when I think they are about that for a new one. Think I'll wait and see how I get on through the winter. Cheers

Agreed £200 is a lot. I found I could get a new Gemini from Skoda for £270, so I think I'll just buy a new wheel at some point, keep the damaged one as a spare.

I dont have the extreme alloys just the 18" diamond cut but I kerbed mine on the way back from the dealers the day i collected it !

Just touch it up with clear laquer for now and in the spring there are plenty of mobile wheel refurb people who can make it look much much better

The better smart repairers would do a localised repair on that for you and you'd be pushed to tell the difference afterwards....is amazing what some of these guys can do...in the main because most come from long running paintshop backgrounds.

I had a couple of diamond cut Fabia vRS wheels done (localised repair....minor damage) by a guy when I lived up Oxfordshire way for about 120 quid and they looked good afterwards.

Failing that....a very careful rub with some fine wet and dry, touchup and lacquer you'd hardly be able to tell.

Tyre I am sure is fine by the way, might be worth getting it checked but looks as though youve just damaged the rim protection area which wont have compromised the tyre. As long as the cord isnt buldging you'll most likely be fine.

You can actually damage a tyre down to the cord, as long as the cord is in no way compromised it shouldnt be classified as illegal or unsafe.

I have the Geminis and had this problem recently with kerbing, and next time I get tyres will be shopping for ones with max rim protection.

You need a decent rim protectin with these kind of wheels

I wouldn't bother with diamond cut, you will eventually get the same again, and from research they only repair diamond cut a max of about 2 times then you are back to normal refurbishment anyway !

When I bought my car they came like fully refurbished and no diamond cut anyway (but were immac, until I kerbed it!). I see they would have been really nice but the impracticalities of looking after them......

Check my kerbing thread, you've done an ok job of it, but to really repair completely by yourself, you need the tyre off and need some 2 part metal epoxy for wheels - although in your case the damage is miniscule ! You should have seen mine, i had swages of damage all over one wheel.

This damage is more like just my back wheel ( where I thought I'd been quite lucky ). You will barely tell now.

As said all mentioned on my damaged wheel thread ( no photos of the previous damage though, but yours are an oil painting to the damage I had on mine as I'm used to the grip of RS3's on my Fabia and managed to hit the kerb whilst still moving pretty well on my octy.

Edited by vRSAnt

• 6 months later...

I had a couple of diamond cut Fabia vRS wheels done (localised repair....minor damage) by a guy when I lived up Oxfordshire way for about 120 quid and they looked good afterwards.

Out of interest, who was this that did the localised repair for you?