H4 headlight bulb upgrade question

mattlad

I'm looking to upgrade the bulbs on my Yeti daily beater, what do you recommend, Philips X-Treme, Osram Night Breaker or A.N.Other make?

I don't want anything too blue, yellow, a melted loom or a dash full of warning lights!

Cheers,

mattlad  ;)

I've fitted the Osram's to mine and am very happy with them. They have a good reputation and seem to last. The Phillips get an equally good report by those that have fitted them. They will cause no problems with the Canbus or wiring as they are normal wattage bulbs.

I have previously bought cheaper ones; buy cheap buy twice!!

The upgraded bulbs are good, I've used Osrams on a number of occasions.

The trade-off is lifetime. You'll notice this if you do a lot of driving in the dark (I drive 2-3 hours each day, and in the winter months this is all in the dark).

Osram produce data sheets on their bulbs which confirm the reduced lifetime expectancy. I find they last just a few months.

If you fit a pair of uprated bulbs, when one fails, the other is likely to go quite soon after...so keep some spares to hand and change them as soon as they go!

The best legal road lights are PIAA Xtreme White Plus. They are not cheap, but they are significantly higher light output - equivalent to 110W though they only draw & are rated at 55W which means they are wiring safe & road legal.

I have Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited in mine - they were noticeably brighter when I first installed them, so much so that even my wife commented on it when she first drove in the dark.  Now I am used to them but I have always been a fan of the Yeti halogen headlights anyway, these just make them even better.  I also have the same in my motorbike which made an even more remarkable difference as the light on my bike is dismal.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted  the Osram Nightbreakers on Tuesday!

Massive upgrade over the standard, they're comparable to the xenons I had on my Fabia mk1 (although I don't expect them to last 8 years like the xenons).

The standard Yeti halogens are pretty poor, the worst lights I've ever driven with, bad weather and dark country lanes a challenge. I tried both Philips X-Treme and Osram Night Breaker and found I preferred the light pattern of Philips X-Treme.

Just received an email from Euro Car Parts today stating they have upto 65% of at the moment. Some of the high end Phillips bulbs are down to £20.

I can recommend the Osram Night breakers Plus/Ultimate. I normally get about 18 months out of a set. I always replace both when one goes.

Just received an email from Euro Car Parts today stating they have upto 65% of at the moment. Some of the high end Phillips bulbs are down to £20.

I can recommend the Osram Night breakers Plus/Ultimate. I normally get about 18 months out of a set. I always replace both when one goes.

If you read a bit higher in the thread you'd see Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H4 for £12:33!

"" These from Amazon are as cheap as I've seen.""

If you read a bit higher in the thread you'd see Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H4 for £12:33!

As long as they're not snide ones. There have been a couple of reports lately of cheap imitations from the PRC sold on Amazon, although not vehicle equipment.

A few weeks ago ECP were selling them for £14.99.

Not implying anything about the seller in the above link, but I've had a few bad experiences buying from Amazon. And I don't want to take any risks when it comes to safety or essential items for the car.

And I don't want to take any risks when it comes to safety or essential items for the car.

Me neither, In 100s of transactions thru Amazon I have had 2 with a problem and those have been sorted very quick to my full satisfaction.

The upgraded bulbs are good, I've used Osrams on a number of occasions.

The trade-off is lifetime. You'll notice this if you do a lot of driving in the dark (I drive 2-3 hours each day, and in the winter months this is all in the dark).

Osram produce data sheets on their bulbs which confirm the reduced lifetime expectancy. I find they last just a few months.

If you fit a pair of uprated bulbs, when one fails, the other is likely to go quite soon after...so keep some spares to hand and change them as soon as they go!

I would be tempted to upgrade, but is this all I could realistically expect as a bulb life?

Colin

• Like 1

The difference in light output over standard imo is worth it.

Whenever I have replaced them it has always been the drivers side that has blown, the passengers side is still working fine. I replace both as a precaution. Both lights have always been given a clean bill of health when checked at servicing (I got them to check them out after I noticed only one side was failing) and during MOT.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I have replaced them it has always been the drivers side that has blown, the passengers side is still working fine. I replace both as a precaution. Both lights have always been given a clean bill of health when checked at servicing (I got them to check them out after I noticed only one side was failing) and during MOT.

Got a bulb out warning on the dash today, guess which one has gone?? BD