Winter Wheels and Tyres for Skoda Scout

Good evening,

I would be grateful for some advice.     I have a 2015 Scout  (manual).    I travel a lot for work and only get paid when I get there so I think investing in winter tyres is sensible.  I would prefer to have them on rims instead of taking them on and off the existing wheels.   What would you advise?    

• Would this have insurance implications?  
  • Would I have to get TPMS valves fitted to the new wheel/tyres?    
  • Are there recommended wheels/sizes?

I am getting very confused with what I read and the local Skoda dealer appears to be just as confused.

Any help would be appreciated -Thanks

Edited by CBlack

It is surprising that a Skoda dealer can't help you, this should be basic knowledge for a brand specific car salesman....

- You are a responsible driver and equippes your car with tyres that are suited for the conditions you will face for the season in question. Why should this have insurance implications? (but I have read that in England you should inform them on beforehand just to be sure)

- No.

- Yes, replicate what you already have. Most probably it will be 225/50 on 7Jx17 rims. Alternatively 205/60 on 6,5Jx16 rims. Last option is 225/45 on 7.5Jx18 rims. All with an inpress of 45-50.

I would run it past your insurers either way. Most will not care at all as long as you stick to approved sizes, but some do. If yours does then you may think about changing come renewal

The Skoda TPMS works by sensing the change in rolling radius of a deflated tyre by the ABS sensors so no special wheels or valves needed. Even though the winters may be the same rolling radius as the summers I find that sometimes the TPMS senses the change and triggers a warning, so doing a reset of the TPMS each time you change wheels is a good idea.

There is a list of approved sizes in the back of the handbook, you should stick to one of them. In general the size will depend on what you have already, what driving you do and how much you want to spend.

Easiest is just use the same size as your summers, there will be no great change in handling characteristics and no compromise when you use the winter tyres in good weather and you have the same loads and speeds as summer.

The alternative is to get a smaller wheel, like 16" which will be a bit cheaper to buy and run and have a taller, more compliment sidewall to better ride the onslaught of winter potholes, but you may feel more of a difference in the handling.

I emailed skoda customer services with my VIN and they sent me a list of approved winter wheels sizes. That way I could let my insurance know it had come from skoda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Stirlia

All with an inpress of 45-50.

That translates to "offset" here so look for "ET" in the range ET45 - ET50.

Where are you in the UK?  I have a set of 17s (ET45) fitted with winters that won't fit anything I've currently got.  I'm looking to keep the wheels, but the rubber owes me nothing so don't mind lending them since its daft to demount the tyres.  They'll only fit a Scout though.  Maybe send me a PM.

Edited by Jeeves

I have just changed to winters on my Scout. Standard wheels are 7Jx17H2ET45 fitted with 225/50R17 Pirelli P7.

My winter tyres are 16" SEAT Wheels 6.5Jx16H2ET50 fitted with 205/55R16 Goodyear Ultragrip 9.

These tyres are the option size quoted in the Skoda Owners manual and are also shown on the fuel filler cap cover. Yes they are slightly smaller in outside diameter than the standard 17s ( 205/60r16 would be closer), but as said they are the Skoda quoted size.

Incidentally, these are the wheels I used in winter on my previous SEAT Leon FR170 DSG.

Try looking in the other threads for Winter Wheels.

There was an "official" list of Skoda & TUV approved wheel/tyre configurations for the Octavia.

Also, if you are concidering buying from an online site, all of the reputable sites will make you enter your car & engine type.

In Europe (I'm not sure in the UK) the tyre sites are only allowed to sell you the correct "approved" sizes for your car & will provide paperwork to prove they are allowed.

e.g. This is required for the MOT in Switzerland to prove you are running the correct non-OEM wheels.

For the insurance, I guess its best to call them in the UK.

If you choose "like for like" sizes or if you buy from Skoda then this is probably not necessary.

This is a good site for Winter tyres packages, either with steel wheels or alloys. Simply enter your car model and it has a database of approved sizes.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Steel_wheels.html

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Alloy_wheels_winter.html

I have annother round of alloy wheels (not oginals) with Continental ContiVikingContact 6 205/60 16" and i am very happy and can recommend of those.

its hard even notice difference in normal driving between origial summer tires. Continental is stable tyre and thats why difference is not big between surmmertires on dry. Wet conditions its even better because it wont lift on top of water so easy because its not so wide than original size.

about real winter conditions cant say anything yet because we do not have that yet, but it have got good results on tests.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 is also good tire because so good grip on the road, but i do not like it because it is not so stable as continental. With Nokia when you turn steering wheel you need to wait 2 seconds before car reacts (maybe i little bit overstated, but that is how i feel)

And no, I am not continental dealer, just normal user and happy on those tires and can recommend those.

I am driving on winter conditions about 20 000km each year.

I have just changed to winters on my Scout. Standard wheels are 7Jx17H2ET45 fitted with 225/50R17 Pirelli P7.

My winter tyres are 16" SEAT Wheels 6.5Jx16H2ET50 fitted with 205/55R16 Goodyear Ultragrip 9.

These tyres are the option size quoted in the Skoda Owners manual and are also shown on the fuel filler cap cover. Yes they are slightly smaller in outside diameter than the standard 17s ( 205/60r16 would be closer), but as said they are the Skoda quoted size.

Incidentally, these are the wheels I used in winter on my previous SEAT Leon FR170 DSG.

205/55R16 is for the "normal" Octavia versions, Scout runs on 205/60R16. I am sure that this will be confirmed by official channels if you ask. The very purpose of the Scout is a more rougher "SUV light" estate, offering more plastic and undercarriage protection, higher ground clearance and bolder tyres.

The fuel flap sticker is mainly for determing the air pressures for different tyre sizes, I am not convinced that it is the one and only source of tyre/rim variants for all Octavias. It is unfortunate if the Scout version isn't covered in the owners manual, nor on the fuel flap.

U.K. Scout is 225/50 r17 standard rim - I've got Nokian weatherproofs about to go on ours as the standard P7 aren't really great for this type of slightly more rugged car

Thank you for all the helpful comments.  It has been most reassuring.  In particular sincere thanks to Jeeves for the kind offer. Sadly I am too far away to make it practical,  Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

No problem.  They're actually at a relative's house in the South Midlands if you change your mind.

Weirdly, I had to justify the concept of lending over on the Octavia II sub-forum in connection with an old Proteus wheel (my old full-sized spare) from my old Scout and which I'll use if I get another.  Oh well - I'll just have to take that down next time I visit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would run it past your insurers either way. Most will not care at all as long as you stick to approved sizes, but some do. If yours does then you may think about changing come renewal

The Skoda TPMS works by sensing the change in rolling radius of a deflated tyre by the ABS sensors so no special wheels or valves needed. Even though the winters may be the same rolling radius as the summers I find that sometimes the TPMS senses the change and triggers a warning, so doing a reset of the TPMS each time you change wheels is a good idea.

There is a list of approved sizes in the back of the handbook, you should stick to one of them. In general the size will depend on what you have already, what driving you do and how much you want to spend.

Easiest is just use the same size as your summers, there will be no great change in handling characteristics and no compromise when you use the winter tyres in good weather and you have the same loads and speeds as summer.

The alternative is to get a smaller wheel, like 16" which will be a bit cheaper to buy and run and have a taller, more compliment sidewall to better ride the onslaught of winter potholes, but you may feel more of a difference in the handling.

Ive managed to get hold of a new set of tyres which are 255 50 zr17, are these too wide to go on an 08 scout as currently have 225 50 17 on at the moment.

Ive managed to get hold of a new set of tyres which are 255 50 zr17, are these too wide to go on an 08 scout as currently have 225 50 17 on at the moment.

They're a bit bigger than the 245/45 18s I fitted to mine, both in terms of diameter and width.  As there was just about a little finger width between the turned tyre and the wheel arch on mine, I'd say NO.  Take a look at willtheyfit.com to see what I mean.

If they were narrower but slightly taller than yours (e.g. 235/55 17) you might just get away with it.  I never "bottomed out", but there's no way of knowing how close I came; but a taller setup is more prone to doing this.

• Like 1

They're a bit bigger than the 245/45 18s I fitted to mine, both in terms of diameter and width.  As there was just about a little finger width between the turned tyre and the wheel arch on mine, I'd say NO.  Take a look at willtheyfit.com to see what I mean.

If they were narrower but slightly taller than yours (e.g. 235/55 17) you might just get away with it.  I never "bottomed out", but there's no way of knowing how close I came; but a taller setup is more prone to doing this.

Thanks for the reply will look them up but think i may sell them on and buy the correct size.

Thanks for the reply will look them up but think i may sell them on and buy the correct size.

Have just checked on willtheyfit.com and is fab, they will fit but will put the speedo out by almost 5% so when it shows 30 i will be doing less, so will be less likely to get a speeding ticket !

I have a set of 16 inch Audi alloys that I bought to fit my old Octavia. But they are corroded and leaking air from around the rims. In need of a refurb. Anyone is welcome to have them £80 the set complete with part-worn winter tyres fitted (205/55R16).

Remember there is a setting in that maxidot for winter tyres - it warns you if you go over a certain speed. 

Have just checked on willtheyfit.com and is fab, they will fit but will put the speedo out by almost 5% so when it shows 30 i will be doing less, so will be less likely to get a speeding ticket !

No Tony.  You're missing the point.  I'm 99.9% sure they'll foul on your bodywork (if it's an Octavia II Scout).  Also your speed will be under reading, not over reading as you would be travelling further for every revolution.

My advice would be to try selling them to someone who has an Audi A6 (C6) allroad where the wheel arch and air suspension can accommodate a tyre of that size.  It will depend on the age, manufacturer and tread pattern how attractive your tyres are (for their price) and by implication whether anyone is likely to entertain a converted (i.e. non-standard) size.  When I had mine it was on 245/40 19" or 245/45 18" sizes which are almost interchangeable so check on willtheyfit.com again.  A wider 255 tyre would fit the Audi, and that car can take 17" wheels; but not the newer A6 (C7) version.  If you PM me I can give you a bit more of a steer, but this sub-forum is really for Octavia III (not II) anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

U.K. Scout is 225/50 r17 standard rim - I've got Nokian weatherproofs about to go on ours as the standard P7 aren't really great for this type of slightly more rugged car

Will keep an eye out for you Mike - but more likely to see me in my black vRS estate, the wife is in the race blue Scout and works at the RD&E