Best new battery

twoladies

Well, in view of the haunting of my Yeeti, I am wondering about battery.  Maybe the battery is rubbish?  On the other hand, the car really doesn't get used much. 

But if I decide to replace the battery, (after research), would the Varta E44 or Bosch S5 (Same?) be suitable - 2.00 dsg 170 bhp?

Thanks

Well, in view of the haunting of my Yeeti, I am wondering about battery.  Maybe the battery is rubbish?  On the other hand, the car really doesn't get used much. 

But if I decide to replace the battery, (after research), would the Varta E44 or Bosch S5 (Same?) be suitable - 2.00 dsg 170 bhp?

Thanks

I think you can expect odd 'pop-ups' due to low voltage if you don't run it often.

A CTEK trickle charger via the cigarette lighter would be a good move I'd think.

• Like 1

If you search I think you'll find a thread or two on replacement batteries - I went for the Bosch S5.

The tray can take slightly larger capacity battery types than were fitted originally.

Definitely shop around. I got mine online, next day delivery, for a lot less than the likes of Halfords charge.

Edited by muddyboots

I would say, not.  Not that I know what a multimeter is though :p

I live in a Care Home and wonder if this is like a thermoMETER :D :D

Well, we shall see.  I go away soon for 12 days and see if she starts.

Ryeman - a trickle charger, if its simple, sounds just the ticket.  Back to E-Bay!!  Thanks.

I would go Bosch and buy from Costco (if you can) where it will be *significantly* cheaper than anywhere else.

Never thought of Costco.  Problem is, who will fit it??

Great info as usual - thanks guys.

How old is your Yeti ??

Batteries can stand for months without a problem.

If in doubt get it checked at your local garage. Doesn't have to be a skoda agent.Local guy would be best. 

Ive been away for over two weeks & mine was fine.

• Like 1

Whisper of warning, as your home isn't necessarily like most here. I think a CTEK trickle charger has to be plugged into the mains...

I was going to recommend an Accumate but in light of Yetifan's perceptive warning, it might be better to consider one of the solar powered ones. These have a Pv type power generator that sits on the dash or rear parcel shelf (whichever is best to face the sun) and plugs into the car's nearest 12v outlet (used to be called cigarette lighter).

Apologies, should have said "Brijo's perceptive post".

Edited by x19
  • Like 2

How old is your Yeti ??

Batteries can stand for months without a problem.

If in doubt get it checked at your local garage. Doesn't have to be a skoda agent.Local guy would be best. 

Ive been away for over two weeks & mine was fine.

6 months old!!  My old car always started after five months!!  But then it didn't have all these silly electronics!!  Give me an old Morris Minor - complete with long gear stick!!  My first car! :clap:

I was going to recommend an Accumate but in light of Yetifan's perceptive warning, it might be better to consider one of the solar powered ones. These have a Pv type power generator that sits on the dash or rear parcel shelf (whichever is best to face the sun) and plugs into the car's nearest 12v outlet (used to be called cigarette lighter).

Yes, it would have to be solar powered.  Managed to suss that out from eblag!  Problem is that its a Monte Carlo with tinted windows!!  I wouldn't be thinking battery if it wern't for the fact that its haunted!!

But I have had an epiphany ...........RAC :p

PS What sun?

Edited by twoladies

No apologies needed, my friend :happy: .  I answer to many names (depending on context), and Yetifan is just one.  Here's another: 

Brian

I fitted a Varta 096 Battery (it's made by Bosch but significantly lower price) with a 5 year guarantee from Euro Car Parts via Amazon in December 2014.

It has a greater capacity than the original battery and is slightly longer, but with a bit of care still fits in the same tray. The larger battery gives useful extra reserve of starting power and is particularly worthwhile if you do shortish journeys in winter given the amount of electrical kit on modern cars.

See This Thread, post #29 onwards, particularly my step by step instructions in post #40.

I would definitely fit the above size/make battery again (though i don't expect I'll need to!).

I fitted a Varta 096 Battery (it's made by Bosch but significantly lower price)

Is there a solid source to confirm this? I ask as a sceptic who works for a famous oil company... I am frequently seeing posts on fora that claim (with confidence and vigour) "XYZ oil is made by [My company] but is much cheaper" when I know for a fact that this is not true.

Is there a solid source to confirm this? I ask as a sceptic who works for a famous oil company... I am frequently seeing posts on fora that claim (with confidence and vigour) "XYZ oil is made by [My company] but is much cheaper" when I know for a fact that this is not true.

I don't have time now, but if you scroll back through previous posts on the topic a year or more ago (on the Octavia forum I think), it was reported by someone who worked for Johnson Controls Inc (the owners of Varta Batteries) that they make automotive batteries for Bosch. Beyond that, i have no evidence - other than the production codes embossed on the battery cases appear to be very similar..

I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. :-)

When you say you " Live in a Care Home " do you mean as a resident receiving care, or as a member of staff? eg on site manager.

How the other half live!!

I live in a small flat attached to a Care/Nursing Home, where I look after my 100 year old mother, with a little 'assistance'.  So-called Assisted Living!!

We have the use of the Home facilities, which means that we are not isolated.  There is a nice Dining Room with good food when we need it. 

Always someone around to chat to in the Home, whilst we have the independence of our own flat.

Not perfect - but a whole lot better than when we were on our own in London and no-one wanted to know (including family!). 

My mother says its no fun getting old :no: :no:

• Like 1

I don't have time now, but if you scroll back through previous posts on the topic a year or more ago (on the Octavia forum I think), it was reported by someone who worked for Johnson Controls Inc (the owners of Varta Batteries) that they make automotive batteries for Bosch. Beyond that, i have no evidence - other than the production codes embossed on the battery cases appear to be very similar..

I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong. :-)

Johnson Controls do make automotive batteries for Bosch.

Tony

• Like 1

Why ask what batteries are the best when the car is only 6 months old?

If there is a problem then surely that would be covered by warranty.

How did we miss that?

Batteries have their own warranties in any case.

• Like 1

Quite right!!  But I did read somewhere on this site that the batteries fitted are not very powerful and the Varta/Bosch are  superior!

I would rather the garage didn't mess around with the electronics - could make things worse, if a better battery could be an answer!!

Anyway, I shall put a note on my file that when I need a new battery (out of warranty!) To get the Varta/Bosch from .......COSTCO!! 

Thanks again.  If I can't start her, I shall call the RAC and they will have a battery tester, so job done.

Thanks once again to all the knowledgeable folks on here.

My original battery only lasted two and a half years from new. I replaced it with an 096 size Varta from an online supplier with next day delivery. Just looked under the bonnet today and found that mice have been chewing the fibre wrap around cover !