Phone button on Steering Wheel doesn't work

Hi, I have an MY16 Octavia RS Wagon and the bluetooth works fine through Columbus but I can't answer a call with the phone button on the steering wheel.

The dealer doesn't know anything other than the same thing happens on his other MY16's. I'm in Australia and was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Surely it would be an easy fix?

Hi, I have an MY16 Octavia RS Wagon and the bluetooth works fine through Columbus but I can't answer a call with the phone button on the steering wheel.

The dealer doesn't know anything other than the same thing happens on his other MY16's. I'm in Australia and was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Surely it would be an easy fix?

I noticed the same thing with the my16 vrs loan car I had whilst mine was being fixed, I thought it was linked to the fact I could get the android auto / smart link to work with my phone either. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said his iPhone didn't work properly with that car either

The buttons all work perfectly with my my15.5 vrs,

When I press the phone button on the steering wheel, the message on the maxidot says "telephone not available". This despite the fact that the phone has connected to the Columbus via bluetooth.

Do you have to have the maxidot set to the phone screen? Rather than audio or vehicle data.

When I toggle through the maxidot options, there is no "phone" screen. There's driving data, audio, navigation etc but no "phone".

I would delete the phone pairing and re-pair it.

It sounds like you haven't accepted the pop ups to allow data transfer between the car and phone. This is why the maxidot and steering wheel buttons dont work with the phone.

What phone is it.

I would delete the phone pairing and re-pair it.

It sounds like you haven't accepted the pop ups to allow data transfer between the car and phone. This is why the maxidot and steering wheel buttons dont work with the phone.

What phone is it.

Samsung Galaxy S2. The dealer paired the phone for me. My contacts, text messages etc show up on Columbus but nothing on maxidot. The dealer reckons none of his MY16's can use the phone button on the steering wheel. I'll try pairing my wife's phone and see what happens.

Seems odd that the only people reporting this are from Oz?

one of my colleagues here mentioned that it may be something to force driver to have to pull over when using the phone, as we can get fined for using the phone whilst driving. then again it could be a software issue due to everything here in OZ being altered.

Edited by Gadget007

one of my colleagues here mentioned that it may be something to force driver to have to pull over when using the phone, as we can get fined for using the phone whilst driving. then again it could be a software issue due to everything here in OZ being altered.

It's not forcing the driver to pull over, it's forcing the driver to take his hands off the wheel and reach over to touch the columbus screen to answer the phone! I'm betting it's a software issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly this issue with my MY16 vRS Wagon. Before I go and take it up with the dealer, has anyone found a resolution?

I'm yet to hear of a solution and there are two threads on the topic. My dealership has closed down so I'm very interested in what you can find out, particularly as you are in Australia as I am.

Drop in and post what you find out. I'm very keen to know what you can learn.

I have a one week old vrs estate. The bluetooth doesn`t work, phone not available comes up on the screen. There are no bluetooth options in the settings menu. The dealer originally told me this was because smartlink supercedes bluetooth? yet they couldn`t get that to work either! I`m wondering is there actually bluetooth on the car at all. Not great with phones tbh so not really bothered about apps but I really need take calls. Any help greatly received.

Richie

I have a one week old vrs estate. The bluetooth doesn`t work, phone not available comes up on the screen. There are no bluetooth options in the settings menu. The dealer originally told me this was because smartlink supercedes bluetooth? yet they couldn`t get that to work either! I`m wondering is there actually bluetooth on the car at all. Not great with phones tbh so not really bothered about apps but I really need take calls. Any help greatly received.

Richie

If you plug the phone in via the USB socket and connect to Smartlink, I believe it supercedes BT for that phone. But if you don't use the cable you should be able to connect via Bluetooth. Works fine on mine (iPhone 5s), and the car is also one week old...

Edit: I'm using Amundsen, but I don't think that should make a difference

Edited by hughm

Richie

There should be, its standard on all Octavias. I'm getting the pop up that Bluetooth has disconnected when I connect to smartlink but I can still use the cars own phone interface which is strange. I wonder if there's a problem - it should be very straightforward to connect and you should not be getting the unavailable screen on the radio or MFD.

Thanks lads, got the smartlink to work. I reckon there`s no BT module in the yoke. No BT in settings at all! I would be raging but the car is so much craic to drive.

The phone should work in the meantime when wired - at least it does with an android phone. Can't recall if it did with Car Play. Call the dealer - its definitely standard so it might just be a coding error.

Isn't Bluetooth an option in Ireland?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bluetooth was standard in Ireland,

There was an option for the Bluetooth voice control (PT3)

There was a separate option for the Bluetooth + (PT1 if I recall correctly)

Edited by GAFF
  • Like 1