Downsizing!

firm4

About to hand back my company Octavia 1.6 Tdi DSG Elegance and pick up a used Citigo Sport on Saturday.

Should be interesting to compare difference between the Octavia that was 25K new to a 6K Citigo! 

I really chose the Citigo from all the excellent reviews on here and elsewhere; owners seem delighted with theirs.

Mine is a 2014 Sport in Red. I chose it over others as it has 16" Serpens, cruise control, parking sensors, spare wheel, and mudflaps fitted. 

Have to say that I am looking forward to actually driving again...snappy gearbox, revvy little engine...should be fun!  

Thanks  to all the owners on here that have reported their own experiences...it's been a huge help.                

Welcome to citigo land :)

I think the citigo is a great little car. It drives well, the engine is revvy and you get good economy.

You seem like you have a good spec on yours too! I do feel like changing mine every now and again but then I look at mine and think its a great looking little car ( especially with the serpens wheels), I then take it out for a blast and always decide I love mine again.

That said, im after a monte carlo steering wheel and a remap!

Welcome to citigo land :)

I think the citigo is a great little car. It drives well, the engine is revvy and you get good economy.

The small car done right ;) If I didn't know better, I'd suspect VAG makes them by building normal-sized cars and then zapping them with a shrink-ray.

I'm a regular on the Octavia 3 section. (1.4TSi, DSG)

My OH has just bought an Up, the High version - 75 bhp, heated seats, Maps & More, parking sensors. Three doors, red, with matching dash and pale cream/grey seats. looks great. When she lets me drive it, it's a hoot. Haven't had as much fun since I borrowed a 2CV for a day.

I wouldn't fancy doing the trip I do a few times a year - 700 miles round trip to Kent from Cheshire - but the Up/Citigo/Mii is a great car.

There's a review on Youtube by an Irish bloke, and for the whole ten minutes he's smiling all the time. Worth a look.

• Administrators

Well a year or two on and I still enjoy mine, came down from a remapped 4x4 superb... 

Only this time of year when I'm a little eager do I miss the old comfort.

Long journeys, talking Yorkshire to Cornwall I notice it. But it's not it's strong trump card. SWMBO borrows it in place of her focus estate, apart from the rubbish radio she prefers it.

There is, because there has to be a transition of feelings and some moments of 'meh' what have I done... I offset that with the insurance and road tax bills ;)

It's alot of fun, quite risky in 30's I find, 40's and 50's... just due to the gearing and for me, position wise I can't see the tip of the speedo above 50 ;)

I downsized from a 10 year old fabia elegance estate to a Monte Carlo in July and only thing I miss from the fabia is the heated mirrors ( I will never get a car again without heated mirrors ). I uncertain how the car would handle long journeys but it has been outstanding, so comfortable to drive and sit in. OK sometimes you have to go down a gear on the motorway if you are going up a incline but car is happy to cruise all day at 70 mph. Fits 4 people comfortably.

As others have said, sounds like a nice spec. The Serpens will make it stand out. The gearbox is a dream and the throw is great. Engine sounds good - you'll just need to adjust to having NO ACCELERATION whatsoever from a standing start, but once you get going never use the brakes (EVER!) and you'll be fine! That's what I do.

As others have said, sounds like a nice spec. The Serpens will make it stand out. The gearbox is a dream and the throw is great. Engine sounds good - you'll just need to adjust to having NO ACCELERATION whatsoever from a standing start, but once you get going never use the brakes (EVER!) and you'll be fine! That's what I do.

That's how i drive mine........I haven't found a corner i have had to brake for yet!!!  Amazing little car love it to bits. Mrs just holds on and hopes for the best.(no comments needed) 

Thanks for the replies everyone......

Collecting from Scotland on Saturday so the first test will be the 360 mile trip home via the Yorkshire dales.....fair bit of motorway as well.  

Hope to do the whole trip on one tank of gas...£30 - £35 for the trip! 

If I still like it by the time I get home it'll be a keeper! Will let you know next week....       

Yeah the cars are fine on the motorway will sit at cruising speeds all day long. You should easily get back on 1 tank. You should get at least 55 mpg in the motorway. keep the speed to 60 and expect well into the 60s.

I wouldn't fancy doing the trip I do a few times a year - 700 miles round trip to Kent from Cheshire - but the Up/Citigo/Mii is a great car.

I have the 75 BHP Citigo Elegance and regularly do the trip from North Derbyshire to Kent and often take the Citigo rather than our Mazda 3 2.2 diesel.I find the Skoda  is more than capable. In fact we will be doing the journey over Christmas sometime.

The car never fails to surprise me how well it pulls for its engine size and has returned an indicated 70 MPG on some of these trips.The endless 50MPH sections on the M1 help achieve this along with cruise control.

On these long journeys I  find the Citigo fairly comfortable despite having a bad back and the powerful heated seats certainly help.

We also have a 60BHP Citigo Monte Carlo which we bought earlier this year. The Elegance was going to be part exchanged for it, but I enjoyed the car so much and it had become part of the family , so now we have two Citigos :D . Both are an absolute joy to drive . You can't go wrong!!

I agree with these comments about long distances. We also have 2 Citigos and we are very impressed. Not just the expected fun, practicality and low running costs but good on long trips too. The seats make a big difference - better than the new Fabia for me - and the lack of intrusion on the legs compared with larger cars. I think it pulls well around town but the gearing means it is fine on the motorway too - better than many cars with 6 speeds but not too noisy either. I had mine serviced yesterday and was comparing the room and seats with a new Fabia -  not noticeably roomier in the back. They also noticed there was an update to the power steering software and gave it a wash and vacuumed it inside too, so I am happy!

Well, let me clarify...

my Octy has DSG and cruise, I've long since tired of serious clutch/gear action, and I use the cruise a LOT, even suburban 40 mph roads, it's amost like a hand throttle, and SWMBO's Up hasn't got either.

My long trips are almost always four up, (and a big four at that) with luggage for at least four days, so for practical reasons it'd always be the Octy on those trips. Mind you, I frequently travel solo from Wirral to Sheffield (75 miles e/w), and I'd like to try the Up over the Snake Pass, which on the Sheffield side is a great road when empty, as some Briskodians will know.

We're fortunate to have the choice of the Octy and the Up, so for me it's down to choosing the right tool for the job. IMHO!

Know what you mean about cruise control - I wouldn't want be without it. Mum finds the rear seats comfy in the Citigo but, honestly, we hardly ever use them. I can imagine you loading up the Octy. Sat in the back of a new Superb in the showroom when I went in for the service yesterday and it was massive - leather and a nice armrest too. I didn't look in the boot but it could probably take a Citigo. Styling was very sharp too. We have a new house and it definitely wouldn't go in the garage though!

We have a new house and it definitely wouldn't go in the garage though!

I know the feeling, and my house was built in 1995. For what cars did the architects spec these garages? A Citigo is about the limit of what I can get in my garage, and still be able to get out of the car. (I've attached soft padding to the garage walls and door, too. No-one likes door rash.) A Fabia would fit, but I'd be spending the night in it.

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

Well, we're back!

How good is this little car? Little short of amazing!

432 miles over two days, 10 hrs 45 mins driving, 50.1 mpg. All types of roads, huge headwinds all the way back, particularly in Scotland and Cumbria. Drove through Lake District, kirkstonepass, down to Kendal then across to swale dale moor where we stopped for the night. Heavy rain in the lake district and roads awash with water. Mpg 47.5.

Cannot believe how well this car coped with those conditions. Always felt secure, stable and up to anything. I had read owners reviews on here but was sceptical about how good a small car could be. Seats very comfortable, low wind and road noise and handles like an Mx5! I know we've had three of them. Never felt short of grip or ability anywhere.

Today we drove remainder through Yorkshire dales, wonderful roads and scenery, and then back down the A1. Yes you have to drive the thing and use the gears but it's always willing. Honestly think that the small amount of power is it's biggest asset! Like driving used to be......Rev the engine, use the snappy little gearbox and maintain speed everywhere!

At first I was a little disappointed with the economy but think overall considering the conditions it did fine. At no point did I try to drive economically. In fact decided to come off the A1 early and drive through Rutland just for fun. This car is far too much fun to be driven slowly and for economy; it just wants to be on the ragged edge all the time.

I've owned over 50 different cars of all types and have to say that I am as pleased with this one as any of the others....still can't quite believe how good it is.

Downsizing is great!

Thanks again to all on here for helping me to make a good decision. Certainly won't regret it.

Simon

• Like 1

It must be a different car with alloys as my wife's car with tall tyres on steels is very "unstable" not sure that is the right word but I find it twitchy.

The other bug bear for me, is the seats, find myself forever trying to stay sat in them, good for core muscles on twisty roads.

Enjoy it they are a very easy car to drive :)

Edited by Defenderben

I haven't driven a standard car but this sport on the 16" inch alloys is an absolute hoot.

Again not sure if seats are different to others but we both found them supportive and comfortable even after 5 hours on challenging roads!

I even cleaned it when I got home this afternoon when it was already dark.....how sad is that.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm to be honest, I miss my Citigo.

I went from Octavia MK2FL vRS to Citigo to Octavia MK3 vRS. Now don't get me wrong the Octavia is a wonderful car but, it's too fast.

Let me get this right, too fast as in you are hitting silly speeds very quickly yet do not feel like you are travelling that fast. Where as the Citigo felt quicker than it was.

I guess what I'm saying is (and like so many city cars) the Citigo is a lot more fun that the Octavia.