WINTER motoring

skoda.fr

• 2 months later...

i've a little query regarding winter tyres

i'm thinking of driving to east germany (& czech republic) in december

my german gf says that if you crash in icy conditions &

haven't fitted winter tyres thats regarded as

reckless driving in her area (thuringen)

every one there has a set of summer tyres & wheels & a winter set

however, the tyres on sale around here (yorks uk)

would all be described as summer tyres,

by our friends in europe.

surely someone must have devised a simple & effective chain

i remember the old steel ones were a nightmare

but i've never needed one before

i might fly instead & just use public transport like i normally do

only i was hoping to do some shopping & fill the octy up

if you know what i mean

any thoughts ?

I've used them on both my Octys. Have a look on mytyres.co.uk I've used the V rated Conti winter tyres and the Vredestien wintrac extreme. Others to try are the Pirelli Snowsport 240 and the Michelin Pilot Sport Alpin.

The ones I have tried are all V rated or above so I can stil go 130-140+ with no fear :D Most others are H or T rated.

Good post for winter advice but can't agree with starting the engine 20 minutes before driving away. Idleing an engine when cold causes the most wear on the engine components. You should always just start up and drive away if possible. Doing this also has the added bonus of your car not being stolen whilst you are inside the house getting some cold water. Personally I use warm water. Cold water often freezes within seconds of hitting the screen.

I completely agree. It annoys me to see people starting their car with the hope of warming up the engine 10 minutes before they leave. It's really bad for the cold engine. Warm water is excellent for the windows. Hot water is not! If you clear the windows with warm water, it will not freeze over that quickly.

In the UK we rarely get severe winter conditions below -5C but those in Scandinavia and some of the other continental countries do.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update

the xmas trip to germany is on,

eurotunnel booked,

european breakdown cover sorted.

set of steel wheels & winter tyres bought!

new wheels were £39 each,

so got some 2nd hand ones for £15 each

vredestein snowtrax tyres were £75 - 85 each

got some trackstars (hankook) for £43 fitted

my new workplace is on a 1:5 hill at the edge of the pennines

so i think they're worth having anyway

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The answer (as always) is it depends. You might find that if you are starting off, having traction control on will help modulate the power enough that you can translate power into forward motion. Relying on traction control to slow you down may also not be the fastest way but you'd likely also want to disable ABS to be able to lock your wheels....

Chris

• 1 month later...

My best advice to people who don't like driving in the snow (this is for UK only) is STAY AT HOME! Leave the snow and roads to those who like it!

• 1 month later...

Winter is here alright

I'll have to try the credit card thing

I dunno if its been posted but carry a cig lighter to warm up your key before sticking in lock.

My car was totally iced this morning and the drivers side lock would not turn.

Luckily the passenger side did.

gotta love whoever invented the heated windscreen ;)

Chris

Oh you have. It was quite enjoyable watching my neighbours (and my mum) de-icying their cars.

My process for icy mornings.

Get in

Start car

Press heated windscreen button (wait 30 secs)

Drive off

Admire the look on everybodies face as you do it.

• 1 year later...

Again possibly teaching about eggs -but better twice than not at all -approaching a hill -you'll possibly be going slower than normal, so will need to change down -do it early ,preferaby double declutch -don't wait till you're nearly stopped -that way you will as the change in torque at the wheels will spin the wheels .

Again -leave the wheelspining to top gear -little throttle and higher gear (if necessary )

Old dodge in RWD cars used to be to carry two old doormats/bits of carpet /old sack etc and some string .Tie string to rear of car ,move car onto doormats etc -drive off -the string will keep themsafe till you find somewhere to stop .Never tried it on a FWD car -never had to .