I hate old people rant!

cheezemonkhai

At 37 I am in the middle here I think...

You can accuse all people of all ages, sexes and races of being poor drivers. I have been guilty of it at times myself.

But in the past few days maybe a month I have seen...

1. old lady driving at 25 in a 60 stopping when another car came the other way

2. old man driving at 25 in a 60 stoppng at corners

3. young driver racing round a round about and lose it when he had to brake because he was driving too fast and came up behind a bus

4. young girl get bumped into on a round about because she hesitated

5. young lad beep and get irate at a foreign driver who was clearly lost at a busy intersection.

6. said young lad wheelspin up the road nearly crashing into oncoming traffic, then getting pulled over by a police car 50 yards later. :-)

7. middle age woman driving at 50 in a 30 go round a bend and plough into a bus at a bus stop

8. foreign (english car not english appearance) man not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

9. foreign (english car not english appearance) woman not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

10. foreign (english car not english appearance) man not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

11. foreign (english car not english appearance) woman not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

12. foreign (english car not english appearance) man not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

13. foreign (english car not english appearance) woman not be able to keep his car in his lane and apparently have no idea where he was going

14. bit of a trend here, but repeat a few more times

15. young lad weave in and out of traffic to end up blocking a hatch box and then block an ambulance from getting anywhere

16. young lad weave in and out of traffic to end up blocking a junction and then block anyone from getting anywhere

I could go on.

Like I said I have been guilty myself of a few silly things, I have had 27 points in my life and done awareness courses, none of us are perfect.

Also one thing I do remember saying before my forst Octavia was 'BLOODY SKODA DRIVERS'

I'll give Sudbury down your way a wide berth  if ever I get down that way, phew!

Sudbury up our way..........it's the tractors you have to watch out for most of all, we never get chance to get to 60mph. :D

Just like any group pf people some are very nice and some are utter *****.

Bug bears to me are goups of old folk cluttering up the entrances of shops and the aisles. Wanna have a catch-up and chin wag? Hows about you **** off out the way and do it?

Queue jumping. If you're a bit wobbly I've no issue letting you go first or gicing up a seat, but if you're just as able as me get to the back of the ****ing queue.

Just coz your old don't mean you're nice.

Used to get old ladies on the bus and they would say "can you wait until I sit down?"  Fair enough to me but some drivers would just drive off and leave them hanging on.  What annoyed me was when you got to town but hadn't stopped and was still turning corners and braking they would by up like a whippet in the blocks!  So nowt wrong with the legs now then!

I'll give Sudbury down your way a wide berth  if ever I get down that way, phew!

Sudbury up our way..........it's the tractors you have to watch out for most of all, we never get chance to get to 60mph. :D

Ha Ha, Its not Sudbury thats the problem Mick, Its across the border into Essex (Gary boys you know). I work in Braintree.... you need to wear hard hats and Flack Jackets to drive around Essex! Sudbury Suffolk sounds much the same as your Sudbury, coffin dodgers and tractors. More horses than cars pass my house each day!

• Like 1

Might as reply to this Friday afternoon flamer. Being an ars* and a poor driver is not age related, it's simply that they're poor drivers and an ars*. The oldies have paid extortionate mortgage rates at 14% and didn't need to save for pensions in the 70's and 80's as there were jobs for life and associated pensions. That's virtually come to an end along with the arrival of contract work and more part time minimum wage jobs. The oldies are the same people who are trying to help their offspring onto the housing market ladder. Good job interest rates for today's expensive house purchases are so low. The oldies weren't given houses and have paid into the system for many years But this seems to be resented by some people nowadays. An influential factor could be today's ingrained culture of 'have it now pay later' . Previous generations who couldn't access credit, generally did without if they didn't have the cash and considered themselves poor if they didn't have basics like shoes or food, rather than a mobile or Sky. Everything has changed from automatic respect for the elderly and females, classroom standards of behaviour etc. There are also a lot of very good things that have changed for the good of society. That's progress!

• Like 2

The thing I most dislike about old folks (and I'm past 50 myself), is not the driving or rudeness - it's their British Empire attitudes. Casual racism in particular drives me mad (my parents and in-laws are typical of their generation in this) - they are totally intolerant and unthinking in how they behave and it disgusts me.

• Like 1

Must admit if someone 'forgets' to say thank you for having the door open I do tend to say it loudly for them!  I have also held the door open for ladies in the past and then been berated and told I am capable of opening a door myself!

The answer there is "I didn't hold the door for you because you're a lady. I held it because I'm a gentleman."

• Like 3

Age is irrelevant I find the biggest divide is between cities and small towns villages and North / South. I find the greatest number of rude ill mannered people are from southern cities and the Kindest and well mannered people in northern Villages (Rule of thumb & My opinion obviously not fact!)  Could it be anything to do with the erosion of British values and this social cohesion they keep banging on about. Many of the countries our Southern Cities diverse population originate from don't have the same customs and level of civilisation hardly appropriate to expect them to behave civil when they get here is it? Takes time like centuries not decades. You only have to go back 100 years from when these old sayings and folk law about Respect for elders and polite greetings holding doors, helping them with their shopping running errands for old folk etc. The landscape was very different back then. Its more survival of the fittest these days, very sad.

I find (on my travels around the UK) it's more a localist issue.

If you're not local, and don't have the local accent you get treated like ****

Some people mellow with age, some get bitter.

I see bad behaviour by all age groups, from groups of Primary age children swearing and smoking, teenagers stepping out into the road after looking straight at you, and expecting you to emergency stop (and giving you 'tude), twenty-somethings driving like arses because they know the chances of running into a police car are next to nil, 30-somethings too busy on WeChat to look at the road, 40-somethings who think they are still teenagers, 50s and up who think the world owes them because they are old (and not always because they have worked all their lives - plenty have sat on the dole all their lives!!)

But then I also see good things; kids chasing after people who have dropped money, teens helping out at childrens clubs, 20-somethings helping to push the car of someone who left it a little too long between fill-ups (or had a dodgy fuel gauge); I could go on.

I know one old guy, quite ill and infirm, he tutors children of all ages in maths, from Primary up to University level, and doesnt ask for a thing in return.

What the op says might be right............. But do I care? worked since I was 15,so no mortgage for a number of years ,nice little pensions and yes I do hold doors open for women and young and old but I still remember how hard it was when I was young and raising a family oh and a 15% mortgage so they can think what they want.ive also been driving since I was 16 and most days for the last 35 years and we all make mistakes young and old but mostly woman(no only joking)just good and bad motorists .

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 1

perhaps ,being older ,with almost 50 years clean licence and almost that in NCB, I should start a similar post on WHY I hate modern day driving school passes ,with NO real experience. They are a product of modern day production line driver training, where the obsessions of the tester overcome the courtesies of driving tradition. WHAT became of the old idea of "if in doubt- DON'T". I regularly meet learners ( I live close to a test centre) and I always try to extend some courtesy to them. After all, I have no problem getting out of their way/ pulling off on a hill. I once had to learn to drive( and even after almost 50 years on the road), I still remember how hard it was to master the clutch /hill starts etc.

• Like 1

What attitude?

Young people are more rude.... I'm not saying you have attitude, I'm saying there seems to pervade a young people are rude.

All I'm saying is just like all old people are not rude, but some are, there are plenty of young people who are actually very polite.

If we treat them all like dirt, then when they hit middle age, we're all in a lot of trouble, because they'll return the favour.

Old vs. young?

Hmm, smacks a bit of...

Male vs. female

Diesel vs. petrol

Etc.

Etc.

People in being people shocker

I did say it was a rant :)

What the op says might be right............. But do I care? worked since I was 15,so no mortgage for a number of years ,nice little pensions and yes I do hold doors open for women and young and old but I still remember how hard it was when I was young and raising a family oh and a 15% mortgage so they can think what they want.ive also been driving since I was 16 and most days for the last 35 years and we all make mistakes young and old but mostly woman(no only joking)just good and bad motorists .

The I don't care is a problem. If you don't treat the younger generation with a decent level of common courtesy and respect, then they will resent you.

They are working hard, they are trying, they're been taken up a path of you must pay mega money for university and you have to go there or you'll never get a job that pays well.

At the end of the day, you should care, because when you're in need of medical care and looking after in your old age, it's my generation and the following generations that will be looking after you.

That assumes we haven't all left the country for somewhere less depressing than the current state of the UK.

Anyway, I did say it was a rant, so don't take it personally :)

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

I may or may not care what some younger people think of the older generation life's / driving ,that's their opinion but remember I/we have a family with grandchildren and am aware of their problems ahead in life ,I was never fortunate/bright enough to attend university as were most people of my generation and the ones that did succeed to study were usually exceptional and that I personally think is part of the problem of degrees being worth less today unfortunately .But don't get be started on poor students who appear to find enough money to spend on drinks most weekends something people of my generation could not afford in their youth even when working over 40 hours a week and whilst I think further education should be free it is becoming harder to justify in this day and age and where the letting out of private homes as student lets become a massive industry but that's another issue where I live.