Replacement front fog light bulbs

Hi All,

I'm getting an SE-L Exec, due at the dealers between Christmas & New Year.

I've seen a few comments on the standard fitted fog lights not being a very white light to match the DRL's & Xenon and was wondering if anyone has found a road legal replacement, not necessarily LED?

Ones mentioned before are http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h8-12v-35w-super-white-hid-class-upgrade-bulbs/ . An ebay seller has these same ones but there is a clause at the end of the description stating 'Superwhite bulbs are sold for 'off road' & 'Show Purposes' only', is this because they are too bright, may blind oncoming traffic?

Would love the feedback of others that have changed theirs and what they thought of the results.

Edited by ste4321

I tried a pair of CREE LED's they were bright but there was too much of a blue tint (I personally don't like any blue tint) for me so did not fit them.

So I bought halogen bulbs from eBay that have a blue coating on them which produces a white light.

I will try and post photos later when not on my phone (or you can search my previous posts)

Isn't the whole point of fog lights is them being more yellow to assist with vision in foggy conditions?

Before the days of cornering foglights I would fully agree.

However I cannot remember the last time I needed my front fog lights on.

On 21/12/2015 at 08:42, Gizmo68 said:

I will try and post photos later when not on my phone (or you can search my previous posts)

I know they are in a Yeti (my Superb had not arrived at the time) but the one on the left is the CREE LED, the one on the right a 4,500K (blue coated) halogen - Cant find the photo, but suffice to say although they looked good (good colour compared to the DRL) their light output was shocking, so they were removed immediately! 

At dusk showing the colour comparison between the DRL and 4,500K Halogen... the ‘light scatter’ is the camera as to the naked eye there is no scatter (as you can see the same about of ’scatter’ is also present with the DRL’s

IMG_0496

4,500K halogen on left OE std halogen on right:

IMG_0478

Edited by Gizmo

• 2 months later...

Well although they looked better they were pretty useless...

IMG_1456

so I changed them for LED’s, VERY impressive and they match the DRL’s, they also light up the road very well:

These are the LEDs I now have fitted, search for: “Generation 2S Aluminium LED Headlamp H8 Car Headlight ETI Chips 12V Headlamp 30W 3600LM (the fitting - H7, H8 etc can be changed by swapping the white plastic collar, so ask the seller if he has H8 fitting)

I bought mine from www.aliexpress.com 

Generation-2S-Aluminium-LED-Headlamp-H7-http://www.aliexpres...=72923300641797

IMG_1455

In action:

IMG_1475

IMG_1476

Given how bright and white they are I did think they would be useless in the fog, as it turns out though they are pretty good... and ‘kin bright 

They have also been fitted for 2 years now without any issues.

Edited by Gizmo
updated info and photos

Hi All,

I'm getting an SE-L Exec, due at the dealers between Christmas & New Year.

I've seen a few comments on the standard fitted fog lights not being a very white light to match the DRL's & Xenon and was wondering if anyone has found a road legal replacement, not necessarily LED?

Ones mentioned before are http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h8-12v-35w-super-white-hid-class-upgrade-bulbs/ . An ebay seller has these same ones but there is a clause at the end of the description stating 'Superwhite bulbs are sold for 'off road' & 'Show Purposes' only', is this because they are too bright, may blind oncoming traffic?

Would love the feedback of others that have changed theirs and what they thought of the results.

Going off this link, H8 is the correct fitting?

I'm looking to get some of these (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-whitevision-h8-twin) to replace the yellow halogen ones fitted at the factory. I want to maintain the fade in/out rather than the on/off of LED bulbs.

Edited by r08shaw

Going off this link, H8 is the correct fitting?

I'm looking to get some of these (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-whitevision-h8-twin) to replace the yellow halogen ones fitted at the factory. I want to maintain the fade in/out rather than the on/off of LED bulbs.

Yes they are H8

Are you after pure white bulbs? as the spec of them state they are only 3,500K so will have a yellow tint to them (look for 4,300K for pure white):

Kelvin Rating Up to 3500K

I received a reply from PowerBulbs. They can't find any bulbs for the S3.

What info are you after?

Several of us have changed all the bulbs that are not OE LED’s

• 1 year later...

No they are a warm (yellow) white and only 20W / 2,400 Lumens (mine are 30W / 3,600 Lumens)

Look for something around 4,300K - 5,000K as this should be pure white (if you go as high as 6,000K it will have a slight blue tint)

Pull the plastic grill off next to the foglight (the handbook describes how to do this also):

35009344853_87dc4d1884_b.jpg&key=97fc30d

Then unscrew the foglight (with the torx screwdriver in the boot if you do not have any in your toolkit) 

On the drivers side (on a LHD car like you have in RO) the washer bottle is located behind the foglight... so it’s a tight fit but it will fit.

On the 280 there is also an intercooler (I assume it’s behind the other side foglight?) meaning those bulbs will not fit as they are quite long.

In an LED?

you will not find a 50W LED they are MUCH lower, what they may claim is that they are equivalent to a 50W (halogen) bulb.

(a 50W halogen bulb would put out the same amount of light as around a 4W LED)

They are certainly shorter than the ones I have but I could not confirm if they fit a 280 as my car is a 190.

It also appears that they are sold individually (so you would need to purchase 2)

I know a 280 owner has fitted LED fog, it maybe worth doing a search to find them.

Good point, so it must be this post then

But those bulbs are like this:

image.png.5a28266ecd0b2e03c5f58332dca356fa.png

Pretty sure that lens+led in front of the bulbs will dazzle incoming traffic and not get light on the road. I'm curious if @Andysuew agrees :)

Edited by ionelmc

21 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Good point, so it must be this post then

But those bulbs are like this:

image.png.5a28266ecd0b2e03c5f58332dca356fa.png

Pretty sure that lens+led in front of the bulbs will dazzle incoming traffic and not get light on the road. I'm curious if @Andysuew agrees :)

These don’t dazzle oncoming cars, they tend to throw light out to the side. I’ve been running these now for 12 months and can’t fault them. They also match the same colour as the HID’s.

29828AEB-BA56-4AD9-901A-F8F25095B4D4.jpeg