very poor mpg vrs tdi dsg

hi guys ive got a 2015 octavia tdi vrs estate which has the dsg gearbox,ive just come from a 2012 passat 140 tdi which was re-mapped to 200 bhp but was manuel,now the passat is bigger,hevier and more power than the vrs so i thought i would get about the same mpg as my passat,now iam socked to say the least as these are what i used to get compared to now,

passat round town 50mpg all day long,

octavia vrs round town lol 38-40,

passat on a run at 75mph 60 plus mpg,

octavia vrs on a run 47 ish if iam lucky,

is this right lads

My 1.6 diesel is 53mpg long term average, so i'd say your VRS looks about right to me.  As said previously, those passat figures don't look right.  If you were using the on board computer MPG display then this can be affected by chipping.

You've been doing extremely well to regularly get 50mpg+ around town in any car. I've never had a car that could do that, but my mums previous Yaris diesel was able to do mid 40's round town if driven like a nun. My manual vrs hatch usually does about the same as yours around town, and mid to high 50's on a long run (A-roads and motorways). This does improve a little in mild weather (spring/summer) and lighter traffic.

My 1.2 TDi Ibiza Ecomotive is averaging 60mpg thanks to a 110 mile round trip commute all on dual carriageway based on measuring fill to fill, was doing around 50mpg on a shorter one a year or so ago. Really depends on driving style and what is running, turning a/c off seems to help but the car also has start stop etc.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

My 150 DSG averaged 53.6 on the 290 mile trip from London to Newcastle, mixture of the 50mph average speed sections and then doing 80-85 the rest of the time.

Long term average is about 48, which to be fair isn't great. My mates 320d auto is in the mid to high 50s all the time.

There's a couple of threads on here about TDI vrs mpg. All being a little bit disappointed about the figures. On mine I am seeing around 40mpg long term over the first 5k miles on the car. (45mpg on a longer A road run)

It's not great but I've come to just accept it.

Absolutely, the DSG is less efficient than the manual - just take a look at the figures for manual vs. DSG. Even though the transmission is excellent in itself, it's nowhere near as good as its 7 speed equivalent, or the 8 speed auto units fitted to the likes of BMW / Jaguar etc.

Personally the official figures mean nothing to me because i do not know anyone that drives on a rolling road in a building to travel any place, 

and then they come from the Volkswagen Group.

What i do know that even a driver without a clue can get decent economy from a DSG equipped vehicle where as it might take 

a bit more ability or effort to get good economy from a manual.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

I have no basis for personal comparison like for like - my FL vRS was a TSI manual, and my MK3 L&K is a TDI DSG!

My point was that if you look at the official figures, the 6 speed DSG cars don't get as good economy in tested like for like conditions. The DSG 6 speed is the same box fitted to both petrol and diesel I believe.

I have no basis for personal comparison like for like - my FL vRS was a TSI manual, and my MK3 L&K is a TDI DSG!

My point was that if you look at the official figures, the 6 speed DSG cars don't get as good economy in tested like for like conditions. The DSG 6 speed is the same box fitted to both petrol and diesel I believe.

I was under the impression the tsi got a 7 speed dsg and the tdi got 6 speed.

I'm sure I remember when I was looking in 2013 the tdi dsg had worse mpg/co2 whereas the tsi was reversed.

I don't have the dsg but my tdi Vrs struggles to get more than very low 40s (42 or 43) mpg wise. Far worse than others seem to manage. I would suspect it was my driving as I can be quite aggressive but my partner struggles to get much more and when I've let other people drive it it's much the same even on long motorway journeys.

I think the best I've got was 48mpg on a trip from the Isle of Wight to Edinburgh.

Im getting constantly 40-42mpg from my vRS TDI DSG. Very disappointed indeed.

My normal driving to work is 12miles 50mph and 3 miles city speed limits. Same route morning/evening.

Should be getting something like 48-50mpg. Maybe I should have bought vRS TSI..

Edited by Grap

Official fuel consumption tests are highly regimented for manual vehicles dictating the acceleration rates, the time in each gear and the length of time of the gear change and what gear is used.

I assume an automatic is allowed to follow whatever its programming dictates to achieve the required acceleration rates and speeds,  so it is possible for even a torque converter auto to better a manual in the test.

In real life I would expect a well driven manual to best most autos for economy though, but there is every chance that an average driver will do better with an auto.

DSG boxes are far more efficient than any old school torque converter although the new generation of ZF and Mazda torque converter autos (for instance) spend more than 90% of their time in locked mode so there is probably little separating them.

A 'dry' 7 speed DSG is more efficient than a 'wet' 6 speed DSG box, but probably not by much (one or two percentage points?) and similarly little difference with a manual box.

In the past quite a few people have reported getting noticeably better economy with their DSG boxes in Sport mode compared to Economy mode. I can believe this as they would get better engine braking effect and rely on that more and get the benefits of zero consumption during this phase. Economy mode will only live up to its name when the driver is able to anticipate traffic conditions sufficiently to be able to utilise the 'freewheeling' facility it offers.

At a constant speed in highway conditions I would not expect there to be any noticeable difference between DSG or manual, unless one offers a higher final gear than the other.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

Mine is averaging 47mpg and thats with a mixture of motorway driving and town driving which is almost exactly the same as the BMW 318d I had before getting the VRS so I was relatively happy with slight extra power with no drop off on MPG. (both figures taken from the onboard computers)

I know I have mentioned this on a few posts before but I do think the fuel tank plays a part in this, it gives the perception that your not getting much out of a full tank simply because its so small in comparison to most similar sized cars. I seem to almost always be filling up but the tank only hold 40 litres so you simply don't get much out of it before you back at the pumps.

Mine is averaging 47mpg and thats with a mixture of motorway driving and town driving which is almost exactly the same as the BMW 318d I had before getting the VRS so I was relatively happy with slight extra power with no drop off on MPG. (both figures taken from the onboard computers)

I know I have mentioned this on a few posts before but I do think the fuel tank plays a part in this, it gives the perception that your not getting much out of a full tank simply because its so small in comparison to most similar sized cars. I seem to almost always be filling up but the tank only hold 40 litres so you simply don't get much out of it before you back at the pumps.

I would be interested to find out what your actual mpg is as I found the trip computer to be rather "optimistic". I always work mine out fill to fill to get a true fuel consumption figure.

I have to admit to being a bit irritated by the lack of difference between tsi and tdi vrs fuel consumption figured reported here especially as I have usability issues with the DPF although not a huge issue for me as we're changing our car and not buying another VAG due to other reasons.

Edited by gullyg

sorry should have been more clear, at the point the car warns you its low on fuel it will only take 40 litres or so to fill it, so back to my original point it feels like your always at the pumps.

might be a perception thing but i certainly seem to be filling up a lot more then I have done with previous cars all of a similar size (3 series / Vectra / Mondeo etc) and have done less miles so either the tank is smaller or the mpg is incorrect on the dash

Thank god i thought i was imagining things..my year 2015 vrs diesel reading 28.7average ..i know im a small mileage driver and its mainly in the city..but so let down that am going back petrol and hello Vrs 230..well in a couple of months when delivered...ps..current car is only 7200kms old..no doubt i will be told takes a while for engine to bed in..but seriously my mk3 1.2tsi hatch was giving me only 30mpg on same driving.i suppose its relative to how heavy the right foot is..and are the miles/km city or motorway..otherwise all told great car.Probably low mileage really does rubberstamp petrol over diesel.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk