2.0CR 170 Diesel in wintertime

Hi

Just had the first real wintertime ever with my superb and i found little bit strange the warming time.

I took a kind of crousing speed and after 20km the water is still cool around 60C as well as the oil. After a lot of waiting time with running engine (i had to wait...) the temp didnt rised.

Then when i started to run again with around 80-100 kmh the engine finally warmed up to 90C.

Out temp was -10C.

Is that normal? Or the thermostat is gone?

From tapatalk

It's a very cold engine, it's why if you look at the sump it's well insulated. Most of VW CR tdis are the same. You have to open up the cruising speed a little to get it warm in really cold weather

• Like 1

As above, modern engines, especially diesel engines are very thermally efficient.

My CR140 also takes quite some time to get up to normal operating temperatures when it is cold outside.

I've even noticed that after the car was up to temperature if I sat in traffic and had the heater on high I would be pulling more heat out of the cooling system into the interior than the engine was creating and the temperature display on the dash would begin to drop!

A few people, especially those in very Northern countries use these grill covers to help the engine get up to temeprature quicker and to keep the engine warmer...

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-winter-grille-cover

f2f-fgcvr.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Thx for reply. I knew that todays diesels are very efficient, but i didnt though that in traffic the temp would fall back. Then no problem with the car.

BTW today the out temp was only -5C, and engine became ~85C. So -10C maybe too cold for this engine :)

From tapatalk

It's called the Webasto, and unfortunately was never an option made available to us here in the UK.

I believe it can be retrofitted though, at least it can be on the MkII Octavia...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/372189-webasto-parking-heater-retrofit/

And Webasto themselves seem to endorse it too...

http://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/

It's called the Webasto, and unfortunately was never an option made available to us here in the UK.

No, not Webasto. Of course, you can get one as an option, but Nordic Superb contains electric heater,

It`s around -20 C here at the moment and mine gets warm after couple of minutes, no matter what the coolant temperature is.

I notice the longer time to warm up, even in our mild, damp winter.  Most days I only drive a mile or so to work, so it doesn't get a chance to build up any temperature.

I'm surprised it's so cold in Hungary in winter.  We took the Superb to Heviz in Hungary in June and it was hot every day.  I assume your have hotter summers but colder winters than here in the UK?

Central Europe (Poland and neighbours) suffered from extremely hot summer last year. +35 C was quite daily temperature for couple of months.

I was in Poland and Lithuania in the Superb in September last year and it was still very warm.  Much better than we had in the UK!

I was in Poland and Lithuania in the Superb in September last year and it was still very warm.  Much better than we had in the UK!

Yes, the summer there was really long, but it`s not usual. They had something +25 C in September, when usually it`s +10 C.

I notice the longer time to warm up, even in our mild, damp winter. Most days I only drive a mile or so to work, so it doesn't get a chance to build up any temperature.

I'm surprised it's so cold in Hungary in winter. We took the Superb to Heviz in Hungary in June and it was hot every day. I assume your have hotter summers but colder winters than here in the UK?

Just recently cold:) but it is not usual.

Summer is really hot

From tapatalk

What year is your car? 

Mine is MY2014 and it get's warm rather quickly. Even without webasto pre-heater oil temp gets to 50C after ~5 min city driving while -10-15C. It's allready second week we have below -10C durind day time and -20C in the mornings. 

The best way to check the thermostat - get the temperature to 90C and then drive ~80-100 km/h for some time. If temperature is still 90C - it's ok. 

Edited by LS108

I`m not sure, if the car producers still use different cooling settings for different markets, but in good old times most European producers used to equip cars with two different thermostats: one for Europe, which opened big coolant circle somewhere at 80 degrees Celsius and Nordic one, which opened big circuit only at 94 - 95 degrees Celsius. Worth checking.

It was -26C this morning and driving suburbs coolant temperature stayed @ 90 degrees..

City drive was another thing,usually takes some time to get the needle to raise. But as told, thanks to electric heater saloon is heated up quickly.

Several decades ago we used to put just a oiece of cardoboard in front of the radiator behind the grill. Otherwise some could freeze their fingers off in his Lada.

• Like 1

Is that normal? Or the thermostat is gone?

I think it's normal. I guess that it depends on the heating system inside. At first you have turned it on at max and after some while the car is warm and you turn it on for ~10% only.

My experience with Octavia 2.0TDI (140hp) in Latvia a week ago. It was -15 and the car hadn't been driven for ~2 days - it was veery cold. I drove a 50 km distance in a very steady style (mostly cruising) and the max. oil temperature was ~70 degrees (coolant approx. the same). Then I took my passenger and we drove the same route again. In the meantime the car was warm inside and as I turned off the most of heating, coolant temperature raised (oil too).

That's the thing with these modern and efficient diesels. In countries with cold winters such diesels are good for longer trips but they are pain in ass for short trips. Yesterday the temperature here was -20 and I had to take my daughter to kindergarden. I didn't even expect my car coolant indicator to raise even a bit :)

A few people, especially those in very Northern countries use these grill covers to help the engine get up to temeprature quicker and to keep the engine warmer...

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-winter-grille-cover

f2f-fgcvr.jpg

Such thing was popular during Soviet times and even nowadays used by van drivers. They use simply cardboard instead of this thing :)

Edited by Jevpls
  • Like 1

I always notice my 05:30 or 06:30 drive to or from work in the winter (24 mile motorway run) only sees the oil temp get up to around 88-90 degrees (Noticed it this morning and outside temp was showing as 4.5 degrees).... The same run later in the year sees the oil temp get to around 98-100 degrees.

I've checked once again - car was standing for 8 hours, temp -13C, no webasto preheating, no additional electric heater. Coolant temp needle started to rise after 3 min normal old city driving (no traffic, max speed 40 km/h). 50C appeared on oil temp after 5 min. 90C coolant temp - after 8 minutes (oil temp was 70 at the same time).

However what I do not like is that DSG does not understand what engine is cold and still keeps revs at its minimum 1200 when cruising). So I use S or M until engine gets warm.

I've checked once again - car was standing for 8 hours, temp -13C, no webasto preheating, no additional electric heater. Coolant temp needle started to rise after 3 min normal old city driving (no traffic, max speed 40 km/h). 50C appeared on oil temp after 5 min. 90C coolant temp - after 8 minutes (oil temp was 70 at the same time).

However what I do not like is that DSG does not understand what engine is cold and still keeps revs at its minimum 1200 when cruising). So I use S or M until engine gets warm.

Are you talking about diesel or petrol?

Always thought the grille covers shown above look like they do more than they actually do..... Bearing in mind that only the bottom inch or so of the grille lets air through as the rest of it is solid anyway. ;)

Diesel, 170 HP.

Well, then that's fast. Maybe there is some additional heating you don't know about.

My 140 hp diesel (I think that in this case there is no much difference - basically 2.0 TDI) doesn't  warm up that fast even in much warmer weather. Still I think my thermostat is OK because I've never seen anything weird about temperature. When it gets to ~90 then it basically keeps it for all the time (it may change a bit but it's normal - depending on driving style and speed).

Or maybe yours is some Nordic edition. My car is originally from Germany.

Edited by Jevpls