Who uses an iPod?

I've got a 1TB USB HDD plugged into my Audi AMI (Same as MDI) loaded with 350GB of 320kbps MP3 music. The bandwidth limitations of Bluetooth can reduce the audio quality depending on the device used so I stick with USB to get the best available.

MY 16 L&K with Amundsen has one free SD slot (the other is the maps). Got a 256GB SD card (c.£90), copied all my iTunes tracks (165GB) on to it with no manipulation, stuck it the free slot and everything worked, including artwork as well as track info. Simples.

• Like 1

I found my iPod touch 6 weeks ago after being lost to me for about 4 years. It's a first generation with over 1600 songs on it which I hadn't backed up anywhere. Couldn't believe it when it connected via Bluetooth and worked. I just put it on shuffle and let it do its thing. It works great.

• Like 2

Started this topic as I am interested to know if I'm the minority regarding how I use the media function of the car.

I connect an iPod via USB cable to stream the music.

Is this method how most listen to their music, or is it streaming over Bluetooth from your phone?

Be interested if anyone has had issues with the playback.

:happy:

What problem are you having with it ? I've tested it with my iPod Classic 160GB connecting via USB to the Amundsen, and it seems to work okay via the media menu. I haven't left it connected for a proper test yet though.

What problem are you having with it ? I've tested it with my iPod Classic 160GB connecting via USB to the Amundsen, and it seems to work okay via the media menu. I haven't left it connected for a proper test yet though.

It's a 'stutter' which happens randomly several times per song, which gets very irritating after a while. It isn't the audio cutting out, the track just stops and starts (literally for a fraction of a second), but it is enough to become an annoyance.  Car in for a software update in the next few days. Hopefully that will cure it.  :wonder:

Should work with the Apple USB cable.

Another solution would be to make mp3 versions of your songs in iTunes and copy them to an SD card. SD card slot is in the glove box if you dont know. Would be cheaper than fitting MMI.

I don't think the USB cable works with ipods on pre 2016 cars (built before May 2015), you need the MDI/Mitsumi port and a compatible cable. The Mitsumi port would be under the touchscreen behind the gearstick instead of the USB port.

Edited by Czechers

I started out using the aux socket before I realised the car had Bluetooth audio streaming. So now I use BT from my iPhone with all the functionality of iTunes including playlists and Apple Music. I also find it handy that I can use Siri while driving the change what I'm listening to.

Edited by LewJo

• 1 year later...
On 19 January 2016 at 16:06, cswrighty said:

It's a 'stutter' which happens randomly several times per song, which gets very irritating after a while. It isn't the audio cutting out, the track just stops and starts (literally for a fraction of a second), but it is enough to become an annoyance.  Car in for a software update in the next few days. Hopefully that will cure it.  :wonder:

cswrighty, I have exactly the same problem with connecting my iPod Classic via USB and have the same problem with an iPhone 4.  Did you manage to resolve the problem and if so how?

16 hours ago, Hoorgi said:

cswrighty, I have exactly the same problem with connecting my iPod Classic via USB and have the same problem with an iPhone 4.  Did you manage to resolve the problem and if so how?

It happened to me on any iphone / ipod I tried. After 8 months of going backwards and forwards VW Finance resolved it by installing Apple CarPlay on my car. That won't help you with the ipod classic, but works perfectly with my iPhone (or anything running iOS i guess). Is it worth £130 for CarPlay. Not really, although music doesn't skip anymore, so from that point of view, then yes.

20 hours ago, Hoorgi said:

Ok thanks and noted.  Did you have to pay the £130 or did they and what role does VW Finance play?  So Skoda don't seem to recognise the USB issue as a problem?

My car is on finance, so my contract is between the finance company (in this case VW) and myself not the dealer who sold me the car, hence why I was dealing with VW Finance directly. They paid for the CarPlay as a gesture of good will after I had had so much hassle going to and from the dealer for them to try and fix the problem. They swapped nearly every component to try and fix the issue but couldn't find the cause.

Their argument was that they don't specifically state that the usb connection will support an ipod. My point was that when I asked the sales rep whilst test driving the car whether it would connect to an iPod, he said it would (and iPod connectivity was a major feature we wanted in our new car, hence why I kicked up such a fuss about it).

I also argued saying that there was no other owner (at the time on the forums) with similar problems, so it must be a fault with my car.

I tried the iPod once on my MIB1 Bolero but it didn't work - I see in comments here it needs a Mitsumi cable.

It reminds me that my wife has a SEAT - Apple cable for her Leon, she doesn't really use it as it became a bit cumbersome with the new apple adaptor on it as well, so I might see if it is still about and try it.

My phone is Android, doesn't really have music on it. I was hoping that Waze directions would send sound over bluetooth, but it doesn't seem to. (Unless it only works on Media mode and not Radio)

Thanks 'CS..'  interesting.  They should fix it whether it is a design fault or a one off, I would  have thought. Does the Navigation work well with Carplay?  'vrs'  Where do you plug the MDI into and does it work properly (no stopping/interruptions and controllable/display via the onboard screen)?

On 22/02/2017 at 14:30, Hoorgi said:

Thanks 'CS..'  interesting.  They should fix it whether it is a design fault or a one off, I would  have thought. Does the Navigation work well with Carplay?  'vrs'  Where do you plug the MDI into and does it work properly (no stopping/interruptions and controllable/display via the onboard screen)?

Navigation works surprisingly well using Siri (as long as you have a decent signal).

Plugs in to the normal USB socket.

Not used the navigation enough to fully understand its flaws and faults. Only annoying thing with the music is that it will often forget where you were in a song on your next journey.

1 hour ago, WillM82 said:

Is there a way of getting Android Waze or Google maps to read directions over bluetooth on a Bolero MIB1 (non-mirrorlink/non-smartlink)?

Of your phone is audio streaming to your car via BT then the navigation instructions should be played through the speakers along with all other audio from the phone.

At least it does with iPhone.

To be honest I don't play music from the phone, this is probably why I don't hear them then - I assume it needs to be on 'Media' mode?

Would be ideal if they could 'cut in' on the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this made me fish out my iPod 160gb to see what's what... plugged it in via usb socket and hey presto great music.. No problems here album covers all displayed if available.. as the wife said I now have music coming out of my ears... already use the `spare` sd card slot (32f12b) and 64gb usb stick.. Got a 16 the bed 230 so maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones...