Columbus Navigation update issue

Hello...

Hope the Columbus/Navigation guys can shed some light... FYI 2011 Superb II Elegance 170bp

Updated navigation to V.13 maps late November (sourced & downloaded myself) without issue and as far as I'm aware was working fine.

Replaced battery as the slow cranking symptom was evident - Much better cranking BTW - but straight after, the Columbus unit asked for the Navigation DVD to be inserted.

I inserted the V.13 disc and it went ahead and started updating the maps which I thought was weird but maybe disconnecting the battery corrupted something on the hard drive? (Keys in my pocket for the change-over)

The update continued for some time but then restarted again and the update sat in a loop with a max progress of about 70%

Inserted the V.12 disc and it "updated" the maps and all was OK - No loop - No request to insert disc.

Bad disc thought I and re downloaded the ISO and re burnt - From the same download.

Same fault

Thought issue might be with HDD and new/larger map data? Convinced myself a 64gb SSD was the way to go - Swapped with no issues and now have larger area for Music - But fault remains

Also put on maps via SD card  - Update goes OK with the process showing as completed but when restarted it asks for Navigation DVD again...

Only thing I haven't tried is another 'source' but when the Disc is in the unit the Map Info shows as latest maps...

Gonna go and try leaving the updated disc in and get the unit to use the new maps from the disc without updating the map on the SSD - If it will??

Hello...

Hope the Columbus/Navigation guys can shed some light... FYI 2011 Superb II Elegance 170bp

Updated navigation to V.13 maps late November (sourced & downloaded myself) without issue and as far as I'm aware was working fine.

Replaced battery as the slow cranking symptom was evident - Much better cranking BTW - but straight after, the Columbus unit asked for the Navigation DVD to be inserted.

I inserted the V.13 disc and it went ahead and started updating the maps which I thought was weird but maybe disconnecting the battery corrupted something on the hard drive? (Keys in my pocket for the change-over)

The update continued for some time but then restarted again and the update sat in a loop with a max progress of about 70%

Inserted the V.12 disc and it "updated" the maps and all was OK - No loop - No request to insert disc.

Bad disc thought I and re downloaded the ISO and re burnt - From the same download.

Same fault

Thought issue might be with HDD and new/larger map data? Convinced myself a 64gb SSD was the way to go - Swapped with no issues and now have larger area for Music - But fault remains

Also put on maps via SD card  - Update goes OK with the process showing as completed but when restarted it asks for Navigation DVD again...

Only thing I haven't tried is another 'source' but when the Disc is in the unit the Map Info shows as latest maps...

Gonna go and try leaving the updated disc in and get the unit to use the new maps from the disc without updating the map on the SSD - If it will??

I doubt the reason for your trouble was the battery replacement. The maps are stored at the hard disk which is not affected by power outages.

When you updated to V13 in the first place, how long was it until you changed the battery? Are you sure the DVD was properly copied to the hard disk? It takes more than an hour to do so, and the process is interrupted if you turn the car off.

I am going to assume you used an original disc as we are not allowed to discuss pirated software in this forum, but bear in mind that a non-original disc is rather difficult to be properly recognised by the RNS-510 as it is a Dual Layer DVD from V13 onwards.

Thanks for that eyegr...

It was around 2 weeks between updated maps and battery change.

The V13 disc was ejected without me noticing an issue when I first updated, so I assume all OK as if not it would have said so? - ie 'Insert Navigation Disc'

I'm also very aware of the pirated software and disc issues as I've 'seen' throughout the forums the trouble people are having with disc quality, burn speed and verification etc.

When updating the maps the unit tells you when the maps are installed fully by saying to eject the disc..... Did this happen when you installed the maps?

Sounds like it may be the source image or the DVDs you are using that are at fault?

Thanks everyone...

When updating the maps the unit tells you when the maps are installed fully by saying to eject the disc..... Did this happen when you installed the maps?

Sounds like it may be the source image or the DVDs you are using that are at fault?

Originally with V13 - I believe it did, but as I dont remember it faulting and the disc was removed and no 'Insert disc' error - I assume it did.

Try maps tool: http://www.christian-jeanin.ro/mapstool2/files/help/help.html

It let's you install the maps from a SD card via the software update mechanism. Worked well for me in the past where units have been unable to read discs due to aging lasers and is normally slightly quicker.

Did that - great topic and very informative - Completed without error but when restarted, Columbus says to 'Insert Navigation disc' and when I put in V13 it goes on a loop - When I insert V12 it installs and says 'Maps updated remove disc'

Did you reload the firmware when you swapped the hard drive?

Yes I did - As far as I know its the easiest way to partition/format new SSD  due to windows not recognising format type being used and if the old HDD is cloned then the partition sizes remain the same as before and you loose the benefit of more room on the new SSD.

After another lookround on the web, a few posts remark about sometimes the update can take 'some days' to complete and to leave the disc in...

Car is now on the back drive with a battery charger connected...

Edit - 

In addition, I also think it might be an iso image issue... but have only one source...

Edited by simannjo

In that case you either have a bad download or a bad burn.

I presume when you did the SD card method you used your V13 maps disc to make the data? One thing you can try is to use Daemon Tools to mount the image of the maps disc, and use the SD card method to make the data from the image rather than the disc. If you've burnt a bad copy on your disc for whatever reason, then using that disc to make an SD card method load will just result in the error being loaded by the different method.

In that case you either have a bad download or a bad burn.

I presume when you did the SD card method you used your V13 maps disc to make the data? One thing you can try is to use Daemon Tools to mount the image of the maps disc, and use the SD card method to make the data from the image rather than the disc. If you've burnt a bad copy on your disc for whatever reason, then using that disc to make an SD card method load will just result in the error being loaded by the different method.

Good point Rusty... Ill look into it...

If you can make it to the February East Midlands meet I can bring my v13 DVD with me and we can have a go at using that instead?

Thats very kind of you Davey - Thanks!

But... Success - I threw in a CD cleaner and it worked...

Now, I know they're not thought of by some as being a good idea ... 'they knock lenses out of alignment' and... 'just knock the dust further into the lens body... and 'the only effective way is to use a cotton bud and swab the lens itself'.

But that would have meant opening the case and stripping it down!!! (I hope no-one mentions I've had the thing apart already to replace the Hard-drive!) Doh!

Combination of weak/dirty laser and disc/burn quality??? - Same Verbatim discs used for V12 and V13 BTW...

Hope it saves someone a few hours!

Thanks to everyone!

Edited by simannjo

Just a small addition, when downloading an .iso there is no automatic checksum verification, so there is a possibility of data corruption. It is good practice to upload/download large files as compressed file parts because the decompression can show if and which part has problems and redownload only them. Of course this is not always possible.

In any case, glad you sorted it.

• 2 months later...

Good eveing skoda world. I'm hoping one of you can help. I installed firmware 5238 on my vrs with v12 maps no issues. I used the same discs on my pals car same head unit in a superb. The firmware installed no issues gives setup menu,radio text etc. The same maps disc however won't work. I've been sent two disc neither working. The status bar gets to yhe far side of the back button and the starts again. No idea why can anybody help?

Good eveing skoda world. I'm hoping one of you can help. I installed firmware 5238 on my vrs with v12 maps no issues. I used the same discs on my pals car same head unit in a superb. The firmware installed no issues gives setup menu,radio text etc. The same maps disc however won't work. I've been sent two disc neither working. The status bar gets to yhe far side of the back button and the starts again. No idea why can anybody help?

The RNS-510 is notoriously picky on which discs it will play. Try burning the disc anew. Use quality discs only.

Will a lens cleaner help

Can't do any harm, so give it a try. Dirt, though, is only one possible cause of optical drives failure or "laziness". Other problems could be loss of laser alignment, laser weakening or loss of focus. These, you have to live with.*

*Some optical drives allow to adjust the power of the laser with a potentiometer. I have tried this with success on mini hi-fis, but I don't know if something like that is possible with the RNS-510 drive. In any case, I would do it only as a last resort when it fails completely.

Post #11 says otherwise.......... "I threw in a CD cleaner". ;)

I'm sorry then, I thought you were replying to my post directly above yours.

In any case, you are right. Using cd cleaners in slot in drives is not recommended.

I think most people would take your post to mean a cleaning disc though as not many would attempt to take their Columbus to bits to clean the laser. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a dvd drive in pieces to replace the laser assembly. Overall, as an exercise in "Can this be done?" it was a success, but really it's not anything that I'd recommend unless you have a spare lens assembly, a couple of hours spare time, and are happy to throw away the drive at the end of the procedure if it goes wrong. Would I take one apart to manually clean a laser? Not a chance, I'd just drop in a spare complete drive.

• 1 year later...

Hello Simmanjo,

What did you use to clean your DVD lens?

I have similar problems on my Columbus. I have tried to instal the V15 maps and kept getting CD / DVD error reports. First I thought the PC did not burn the blanks properly even though they were the same - Ricoh Infinity DVD +R DL - as last year on the same burner with imgburn. I then wanted to reinstall the V14 map which installed fine last year, but now returns DVD error messages.

I do not have a 8GB SD right now, but the older maps tools programs do not recognize CD8477 or CD8515 maps yet.

On 20/12/2017 at 14:37, 26DIPP said:

Hello Simmanjo,

What did you use to clean your DVD lens?

I have similar problems on my Columbus. I have tried to instal the V15 maps and kept getting CD / DVD error reports. First I thought the PC did not burn the blanks properly even though they were the same - Ricoh Infinity DVD +R DL - as last year on the same burner with imgburn. I then wanted to reinstall the V14 map which installed fine last year, but now returns DVD error messages.

I do not have a 8GB SD right now, but the older maps tools programs do not recognize CD8477 or CD8515 maps yet.

Hi 26Dipp

It was a standard 1990's disc cleaner with small brushes... BUT its generally not recommended.

Most issues seem to be with download/burn.

Don't forget to lower burn rate to minimum.

A verified burn on PC can still be an issue for the Columbus.

I am pretty certain it is an issue with the Columbus because it did not even want to read and install my old V14 maps from a DVD that worked last year.

I managed to install the V15 map mostly now via the SD method plus DVD, but for some reason I cannot select any POIs. The POI database is installed and confirmed by the Columbus, but these fields are greyed out and not selectable.