NOISE IN REAR SUSPENSION

• 2 weeks later...

Has Skoda cured the clonking in the rear suspension on the latest model? It is time to renew my pcp but I don't want another Superb if it is still going to clonk all the time. If you ask why I haven't complained about it well I have, twice, and the dealer had it for a week but didn't cure the problem.

• Like 1

Line from Skoda seems to be that early cars featured early suspension hydrabushes that were not as 'well filled' with oil as they should be. This means they are more elastic than they should be.

Replacement is not about replacing worn bushes but just about getting the later bushes that are better manufactured.

In summary, the implication is that this is now solved for newer cars.

ip

22 hours ago, iperry said:

Line from Skoda seems to be that early cars featured early suspension hydrabushes that were not as 'well filled' with oil as they should be. This means they are more elastic than they should be.

Replacement is not about replacing worn bushes but just about getting the later bushes that are better manufactured.

In summary, the implication is that this is now solved for newer cars.

ip

Mine is MY18 and it had this issue from the factory. After bushings were replaced the noise was gone for 2 days. After second replacement they're fine now. 

• 1 month later...

Mine hit three years old this morning and was in for the service/MOT yesterday. For about the fourth time since I bought it I reported the noise and this time they said they had a TPI from Skoda advising to pack out some of the bushes with grease. Let's hope that sorts it.

Could you enquire about the TPI reference number? It would be extremely useful to be able to highlight the official reference number when I drop mine off for service next month.

Thanks,

ip

Adding grease to the bushes has made zero difference and it still sounds like a bag of spanners first thing on the way out to work.  Once the car's done a few miles I can come home then leave again over the same speed bumps with much reduced noise so coldness of the components is a contributory factor for me.  This video of a Golf is the sound I get:

It's going back in next week for another go and if (when) that doesn't work they'll see what Skoda suggest.  What they really need to do is come to my house and sit in as a passenger whilst I drive over the speed bumps that lead from my estate to the main road. Can't see that ever happening.

I'll see if I can find out what the TPI is.

Edited by unclerichy
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back at the dealers today for another greasing :notme:. Sent the service team details of the video above which they seem to have taken no notice of followed by "oh, he shouldn't have booked you in for a waiting appointment* as it's a 2 1/2 hour job."  Three hours later I'm back on the road again.  The proof of the greasing will be when I next drive car from home (as it's worst in the first few 100 yards).

*a 2 hour slot where you just wait in the customer area with free drinks.

I asked about a TPI number and the service chap couldn't find one on the paperwork and neither could I when he showed the Skoda bulletin to me.  Your dealer may be able to find what was done under ELSA invoice number 93850.

Quick update - noise gone.

Must say I'm surprised since this is not the first time they've had a go with the old grease. Whatever they did this time appears to have fixed it though.  I've had a few runs over the speed bumps that triggered it (and a tight right-hand bend that also caused it for some reason) and no more clonking or squeaking, just the occasional pfft noise. I can live with that as my previous Superb and Octavia before did it too.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 12:29, JackySi said:

Mine is MY18 and it had this issue from the factory. After bushings were replaced the noise was gone for 2 days. After second replacement they're fine now. 

Dear Sir,

can you tell me or show me what bushes you changed? As you sayed 2 times. 

And please let me know your car has DCC or simple ?

Mine is Superb without DCC and i have problem with noise still, even 2 times shoch absorbers was changed.

Thank you for your answer in advance

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnyB said:

Dear Sir,

can you tell me or show me what bushes you changed? As you sayed 2 times. 

And please let me know your car has DCC or simple ?

Mine is Superb without DCC and i have problem with noise still, even 2 times shoch absorbers was changed.

Thank you for your answer in advance

I had issues with different parts. Mine had issues with oil bushings in rear which are only present in DCC. Real fix was done after I had accident. So I honestly don't know what it was. Could just be some bolt or bush it self moved, who knows truly. I didn't have any shocks replaced. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Thank goodness this topic reappeared! Have been crawling under the car, with DCC, looking for damaged or loose rear suspension. The noise is exactly as described and shown on the videos.

My car, bought in July last year from an approved dealership, is 2016, L&K with DCC, so the question is, will this be repaired under extended Skoda warranty, or have I missed that boat? Is the 'fix' now working and if I absolutely have to pay, what is the cost to have these bushes replaced?

Thanks

1 hour ago, coppertop said:

Thank goodness this topic reappeared! Have been crawling under the car, with DCC, looking for damaged or loose rear suspension. The noise is exactly as described and shown on the videos.

My car, bought in July last year from an approved dealership, is 2016, L&K with DCC, so the question is, will this be repaired under extended Skoda warranty, or have I missed that boat? Is the 'fix' now working and if I absolutely have to pay, what is the cost to have these bushes replaced?

Thanks

1,6 hours of labor plus adjusting the chassis and radars. It most likely won't be covered under anything.

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2019 at 07:40, coppertop said:

Thanks

Did you get it covered in the end? My MY16 (17 reg) L&K 280 with DCC makes a similar creaking heard in other videos from the rear suspension over speedbumps (albeit not as loud), and it's still under standard warranty until June, but I don't know if the dealer/tech will explain it's normal and refuse the hyrdabush replacement and greasing.

Edited by Elson

17 hours ago, Elson said:

Did you get it covered in the end? My MY16 (17 reg) L&K 280 with DCC makes a similar creaking heard in other videos from the rear suspension over speedbumps (albeit not as loud), and it's still under standard warranty until June, but I don't know if the dealer/tech will explain it's normal and refuse the hyrdabush replacement and greasing.

No, not yet. Now I know what it is and the wheels aren't going to drop off, I'll wait until I take it in for service. Definitely worse in the cold weather as never noticed before in the summer.

35 minutes ago, coppertop said:

No, not yet. Now I know what it is and the wheels aren't going to drop off, I'll wait until I take it in for service. Definitely worse in the cold weather as never noticed before in the summer.

Appreciate the update Copper, I'm hopefully going to take mine in later next week and see if they can have a look. Will report back with any updates 👍

On 08/03/2019 at 08:41, unclerichy said:

Adding grease to the bushes has made zero difference and it still sounds like a bag of spanners first thing on the way out to work. 

-10 C, I'd be creaking too :)

3 hours ago, digifish said:

-10 C, I'd be creaking too :)

Funny my V90 has zero noises under -14°C 😛. I truly wonder how VW/Skoda doesn't address this noise issues after soooo many complaints from customers. I've seen VW forums filled with these noise issues not to mention my dealer is like, yeah this is standard issue, we'll fix it. And I listened to the noise for months before they applied another "fix". This ruined experience for me so badly that I can't put in words. Like if its soo known issue, why they dont grease bushings out of factory the same way? Or do something about it? With my Superb each noise took months to repair. I bought new car to avoid all the issues/noises/crap. I had various issues from the start and they lasted months. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackySi said:

I truly wonder how VW/Skoda doesn't address this noise issues after soooo many complaints from customers.

"just business nothing personal"

VW has been calculated it's cheaper to fix for few customers in each country,
who sooner or later will give up, than produce millions of non rattling vehicles every year,
especially when sales are grooving up

• 11 months later...

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or the @Nick_H thread, however this thread seems appropriate. Seems like a common issue which I am surprised is still around.

My MY20 with 3400km’s on the clock just started creaking on the rear passenger side

This is me pushing down on the boot to cause the suspension to move:

I think this will be the first and last Skoda I buy. Between this developing, and the numerous cabin rattles, it really is a poorly put together car.

Car is booked in with the dealer in Feb.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, defiant said:

I think this will be the first and last Skoda I buy.

exactly my thoughts during first two years of owning,
but now, after 5 years, when come some fantasies about swap the car,
Superb is still on the first place of the choice list.
i like exterior and interior design,
enjoying dynamic of 2.0 TSI 220ps DSG6, but next will be AWD 2.0 TSI 280ps DSG7,
huge amount of space even in hatch, don't like wagons cause they are louder and rear window is always dirt in bad weather.
problems with suspension can be solved by replace them to non OEM parts.

what are alternatives?
Audi A6 + €25k
Volvo V90 + €22k
VW Arteon + €20k
and these won't be loaded with options same as Superb

also to list i have added Seat Tarraco AWD 2.0 TSI 245ps DSG7,
whit which i can save few k € for exact options list if compared to Superb, but lose little bit space in trunk

options list of the current Superb Style 2016
https://www.drive2.ru/l/557894125152633200/

• Like 1