New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

Just now, vrskeith said:

19" Pretorias top option, in black or alloy finish

19 " Spielberg mid option.

18" Cádiz still standard.

ah okay, nice one. Yours are the Spielberg then? 

Cadiz i couldnt live with tbh. Ruin the car they do haha. 

3 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

ah okay, nice one. Yours are the Spielberg then? 

Cadiz i couldnt live with tbh. Ruin the car they do haha. 

Yep.

18 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Have they finally given the estate full led rear light clusters?

If not it will never be on my list :(

Ben,

The answer I believe is yes. However, you may need to check spec. Personally it never worried me on my previous R Estate.

Just let others trailing behind to worry about that.lol

Now go get one. Lol Spoil yourself.

Check out in your Exeter dealership, you know you want to.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vrskeith said:

The Estate is now 7speed DSG only, My one gripe really, as  I'm really a manual man but only compromise for the other half

It has always been DSG....no manual option even in Germany...

Basically all fast petrol 4WD estates in made by VAG (any brand) are DSG only....all down to marketing..no mechanical reasons..

oh & I know why I don't like the face lift front.....

The horizontal chrome line which ran from the far outside of one headlight unit across the grill & to the far side of the other headline no longer exists.. Because it now forms the "C" in the light units which make the front end narrower & less defined.

44 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

It has always been DSG....no manual option even in Germany...

Basically all fast petrol 4WD estates in made by VAG (any brand) are DSG only....all down to marketing..no mechanical reasons..

oh & I know why I don't like the face lift front.....

The horizontal chrome line which ran from the far outside of one headlight unit across the grill & to the far side of the other headline no longer exists.. Because it now forms the "C" in the light units which make the front end narrower & less defined.

They sell better like that don't they? 

The 335D Touring doesn't have a manual option either does it? Not just VAG. 

19 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

They sell better like that don't they? 

The 335D Touring doesn't have a manual option either does it? Not just VAG. 

I'm pretty sure BMW only do an auto with that engine full stop, 335d coupe/manual/'vert/touring and the 535d saloon/touring are all auto only. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like the up spec Performance  but at what price with this interior ?? Also no DCC at £830 option. Mid £40k ,even I have my limit.

On 07/11/2017 at 10:59, vrskeith said:

Looks like a wet and miserable Woodhead Pass. 

It's alright all of that... but does it do that one thing that you cant really describe, does it make you feel special? 

Thats the thing really, for me... at the end of the day it's just a Golf. You don't really jump in a Golf and feel special. 

6 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

It's alright all of that... but does it do that one thing that you cant really describe, does it make you feel special? 

Thats the thing really, for me... at the end of the day it's just a Golf. You don't really jump in a Golf and feel special. 

Well there you go - each to their own.

Still sounds to me like you will never know.

3 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Why would i never know? lol 

"That's the thing really,for me..... at the end of the day it's just a Golf. You don't really jump,into a Golf and feel special."

You would never climb in and try, as its too beneath you. Well do you know what ,thousands have and they seem to have fun and feel special .

Somehow i think he must feel special as he gets lots of unwanted attention cruising slowly around inner city areas, maybe being pulled by Special Constables and regular Officers of the law quite regularly, possibility of being shot by armed officers for just driving a Golf R,

or maybe that is just a stereotypical thing that does not really exist in a modern British Isles.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

3 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

I don't feel "special" in any car, I'm just the driver......likely to make mistakes / stupid decisions but the Golf, & especially the R does feel a very nice place to be in 

when driving. 

We (SWMBO & I) feel that the a Golf R will get us around quite quickly & try to keep us alive, whereas a Golf Clubsport, Focus RS, Civic type R  are just too hard core to be  fun.

The other problems for us when choosing our next car, are spending even more pennies on an Audi S3 which doesn't make us feel special, just daft & spending a bit less on a Cupra ST could be a financial disaster.....

15 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

"That's the thing really,for me..... at the end of the day it's just a Golf. You don't really jump,into a Golf and feel special."

You would never climb in and try, as its too beneath you. Well do you know what ,thousands have and they seem to have fun and feel special .

That isnt what i was saying at all. Youve taken that right out of context. 

Nothing is beneath anybody.. everybodys on the same level on this earth whether theyve got 10 million in the bank or 100 quid.. a Hurrican or a Golf. 

But feeling special in a motor is something that cant be described so easily. 

I have tried actualy. It was much like a Golf but abit quicker. Good for what it is.. but just effortlessly quick and quiet. Nothing special.. just like a 150 golf with twice the power.. although perhaps doesnt feel it. 

You just dont jump in one and smile and giggle or feel that special something. You jump in it like you jump in any golf. Same with with focus RS. 

22 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I don't feel "special" in any car, I'm just the driver......likely to make mistakes / stupid decisions but the Golf, & especially the R does feel a very nice place to be in 

when driving. 

We (SWMBO & I) feel that the a Golf R will get us around quite quickly & try to keep us alive, whereas a Golf Clubsport, Focus RS, Civic type R  are just too hard core to be  fun.

The other problems for us when choosing our next car, are spending even more pennies on an Audi S3 which doesn't make us feel special, just daft & spending a bit less on a Cupra ST could be a financial disaster.....

A little ‘hardcore’ is perhaps nice. 

Its the same with bikes.. you look for something that is good at everything.. then you find it and realise perhaps it isnt really where the funs at, because being good at everything takes away excitement and character in areas you didnt realise you wanted it. That loud, snatchy snarly, obnoxious, unpredictable thing was fun because.. it was just that. You knew you had to be on your toes or itd kill you. And thats excitement. Being a good all rounder takes that away. 

Thats the Golf.. for me. Yes its practical n pretty quick n handles well.. but meh. Just doesnt light the fire. 

Its difficult to explain i guess? 

The focus rs is an awesome piece of kit. The way it drives is brill, traction is brill, the way you can get a slide on and how predictable it is... but then you still jump in and look at a focus dash. Yawn. Never have been a fan of ford interiors though. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

11 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

A little ‘hardcore’ is perhaps nice. 

Its the same with bikes.. you look for something that is good at everything.. then you find it and realise perhaps it isnt really where the funs at, because being good at everything takes away excitement and character in areas you didnt realise you wanted it. 

Thats the Golf.. for me. Yes its practical n pretty quick n handles well.. but meh. Just doesnt light the fire. 

Its difficult to explain i guess? 

The focus rs is an awesome piece of kit. The way it drives is brill, traction is brill, the way you can get a slide on and how predictable it is... but then you still jump in and look at a focus dash. Yawn. Never have been a fan of ford interiors though. 

A little hardcore might have been nice, back in the day..........

As for bikes, I got my bike licence in '64, but never really enjoyed getting wet, & falling-off would hurt even more now....

SWMBO & I are both Ford pensioners & really can't find anything in the Ford range that we want to own / drive.... even the sensible cars that are aimed at OAPs.

Horses & courses, applies, as always, bue we just can't find something that we like for £32k 'ish. 

One other point, a Golf, in a "sensible" colour can be quick & fun, but it doesn't need to shout about it.

DC

• Like 1