New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

3 hours ago, mikey vrs said:

I collect my Golf R on thursday & cant wait! its not brand new though,2015 plate in Red 5 door manual.

mikey RVs,

You will love it ,imo especially driving the manual box, around the twisty stuff.

Hope you experience the same as me great trouble free fun driving experience.  Be good to see your photos. 18" or 19" any other options. What sort of mileage?

Family car?

Above all Enjoy !

Its done 19,000 miles,its on 18's which im happy with to be fair as some of the roads i drive down to work are really bad in places & 19's with a 35 profile tyre could be a bad idea,standard car,i have been waiting until they dropped below the £20k mark as that was my max budget. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikey vrs said:

Its done 19,000 miles,its on 18's which im happy with to be fair as some of the roads i drive down to work are really bad in places & 19's with a 35 profile tyre could be a bad idea,standard car,i have been waiting until they dropped below the £20k mark as that was my max budget. 

Miley vRS,

Sounds like a good deal to me, just run-in mate. My 1st R was on 18" Cádiz and they were and my R Estate, ride was fine on standard suspension. The wheels wash and clean easily and never got kerbed.I have Pretoria's on my current car with DCC, that does make a difference in ride and handling but not massive. Always liked the look of the Cádiz, that's a personal thing, as not everyone does.

Standard or with full options ,a great car imo.

Have a great time this summer with the R.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vrskeith said:

mikey RVs,

You will love it ,imo especially driving the manual box, around the twisty stuff.

This 100% ...which is why I hate VW as the R Estate is DSG only..which I just can't used to & have driven...

Unlearning handbrake to EPB & autohold was not to bad as it works how I like it & follows me..

DSG try's to be smart...& I shout at it or have in manual mode all the time...then I might as well have a manual which is less costly in the long term for me also...

26 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

This 100% ...which is why I hate VW as the R Estate is DSG only..which I just can't used to & have driven...

Unlearning handbrake to EPB & autohold was not to bad as it works how I like it & follows me..

DSG try's to be smart...& I shout at it or have in manual mode all the time...then I might as well have a manual which is less costly in the long term for me also...

Ive got used to the electric parking  brake on my Volvo after all my others cars have had a "normal" handbrake,salesman explained the auto hold function to me but i will have to try it in use & get used to it. I didnt want a DSG box,tried one & however good they may be im happy with a manual box. 

• Like 1

Auto hold is great....however you have to remember that all it does is "lock" the pressure in the servo that you applied by foot to the pedal...it's basically a hands free...or foot free....it does NOT apply full or more pressure...

So if you just tap the brakes lightly it will just do that...& then you roll back.....so I stop as normal lightly but when fully stationary I press the brakes again firmly to give more grip...I do not fully lift off between the two motions

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2017 at 15:42, mikey vrs said:

You lucky bugger! Pictures and an update when you finish having fun it it! 

• Like 1

Ive only driven it back from the garage but im loving it,its going to cover a few miles over the next few days on all sort of roads so i will get a better idea by Monday,not had it out of "Race mode" love the exhaust note & acceleration,will have to watch my speed as its a quick car.Sitting in it & driving it reminds me of my mk2 octy vrs in places,my Volvo was a good car but just not for me. 

Edited by mikey vrs
  • Like 3

Nice one mike vRS, going to be a great ,get to know you weekend

Edited by john999boy
Quoted photo links removed

Seem to recall the 155mph speed restriction will also be removed for Track use / Autobahn driving, hence the larger and more effective brake package.

4 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Best £ per BHP Hot Estate money can buy  in the UK ?

What do you think?

4 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Best £ per BHP Hot Estate money can buy  in the UK ?

What do you think?

The Leon Supra ST 300 is cheaper, & is nice to drive, but the interior quality & noise level is  not quite up to VW 

standard.

Maybe you do get what you pay for?

I'd still like to see an AWD vRS 300 with the Superb quality interior, but VW would never allow it to be built!

DC

• Like 1

On 20/07/2017 at 20:52, matt1chelski said:

I've just realised the 7.5 gets Virtual Cockpit standard! Hummmmmm :cool:

I must be in the minority as i dont like the latest dash,i like the original clocks on the mk 7 R & the centre console /screen on the latest mk 7.5 golf R looks to big & daft to me. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikey vrs said:

I must be in the minority as i dont like the latest dash,i like the original clocks on the mk 7 R & the centre console /screen on the latest mk 7.5 golf R looks to big & daft to me. 

Your not alone mike vrs, I like the "old money " sweep Speedo & rev counter. Infotainment screen , Discover Nav or Discover Pro nav are both fine.

But then I'm an "old fat" who doesn't own a digital watch / wrist computer.

On 27/07/2017 at 17:04, mikey vrs said:

Ive only driven it back from the garage but im loving it,its going to cover a few miles over the next few days on all sort of roads so i will get a better idea by Monday,not had it out of "Race mode" love the exhaust note & acceleration,will have to watch my speed as its a quick car.Sitting in it & driving it reminds me of my mk2 octy vrs in places,my Volvo was a good car but just not for me.

Very nice! I'm super jealous, I need the next few months to hurry up! 

On 08/08/2017 at 12:18, mikey vrs said:

I saw the virtual cockpit on my mates S3 and fell in love with it, I've yet to see one on a Golf in person but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in the metal. 

If I'm honest though, I should really spend a bit less and get a MK7, the difference would go along way in the wedding fund (or modding fund depending on who you talk to :D) The only bits I really want are DSG, SatNav of some kind and Apple car play. Plus a subtle colour, grey or black ideally. 

Are you going to start a thread in the non Skoda section? 

Edited by john999boy
Quoted photo links removed

I haven't been on this forum as much as another one! but I've got a red 7.5 coming on the 1st of September to replace my Fabia....getting impatient now :dry:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt1chelski said:

Very nice! I'm super jealous, I need the next few months to hurry up! 

I saw the virtual cockpit on my mates S3 and fell in love with it, I've yet to see one on a Golf in person but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in the metal. 

If I'm honest though, I should really spend a bit less and get a MK7, the difference would go along way in the wedding fund (or modding fund depending on who you talk to :D) The only bits I really want are DSG, SatNav of some kind and Apple car play. Plus a subtle colour, grey or black ideally. 

Are you going to start a thread in the non Skoda section? 

Mine is staying standard so no point really starting a thread on it,im not a fan of the 7.5R i dont like the dash as it just looks like a kids computer game screen to me & they have done away with the side skirts & i dont like the new seat coverings,i think the 7 R just looks the better car,certainly not worth the extra 0000's (in my opinion of course).