2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

I see what you're getting at about 2014, but in that case Nico was a half-car length ahead coming out of turn 1 (based on your video).

In 2016 they were dead level so the Gangsta was not entitled to take the racing line; the rules say he has to leave a car width on turn 2.

But how often does anyone get a penalty for a bump at turn 1 on the first lap?

I think only Bottas this year?

Track looks like a decent challenge but surprised it was Danny Ric was the first to crash. Hamilton looking ominous but I think the forecast is for it to be warmer tomorrow so maybe Ferrari and RB will get the tyres working better.

Unlikely but is Ricciardo starting to buckle under the pressure?

Max beat him last time, and the previous 2 races Red Bull favoured Max strategy at Daniels expense.

Maybe Ferrari should buy him out of his RBR contract to replace Kimi

Edited by camelspyyder

Hamilton looking ominous.

As I was saying, Rosberg looking ominous ;). Should make for an interesting race as Hamilton's race pace looked strong. I think it will be a manic race.

As I was saying, Rosberg looking ominous ;). Should make for an interesting race as Hamilton's race pace looked strong. I think it will be a manic race.

Agreed, If Ricciardo or Vettel can make good starts again and Rosberg is slow off of the line it will be an interesting race. There's bound to be a few more in the walls and if Hamilton can get his act together there could be some good overtaking and the odd safety car. 

• Like 1

Come to think of it I don't think Rosberg has had a difficult qualifying session in the hybrid era. Lowest I think is 4th on the grid. Hamilton definitely self inflicted today as pole was there for the taking but I would love to see how Rosberg copes with a 10th or lower on the grid. Looking forward to the race, how many will be wiped out at turn 1?

speeds were phenominal, perhaps for being about 100 ft below sea level.

Max hit 356 kph and then Bottas over 360 kph.

Anybody seen an actual table as it restricted on many sites?

Slipstreaming and DRS will be key would have thought now engine power quite similar although Merc Kers still seems to have the edge.

Bottas had highest recorded speed at 366km/h. Shortly before the end of Q3.

post-16049-0-07596700-1466281375_thumb.png

Edited by magic62

Bottas had highest recorded speed at 366km/h. Shortly before the end of Q3.

Thanks for the screen shot.

Goes to show what tremendous speeds a pair of cars can get with slip streaming but also what then happens at the end of the straight ie two racers both want to go in to the first corner in the lead.   We see this a lot in motorcycle racing, NASCAR etc but not so much in F1 due to the normal issues of loss of down force in such situations burt Baku is different with its effectively 2.1 Km straight.

Even GP2 hitting 205 mph (and the Mclaren Alonso will complain)  

The 366 was measured at the line, as the straight still is a couple of meters longer, Williams showed the actual topspeed according to their data.

Shortly before braking it was 378 km/h. Thanks to Verstappens slip stream.

The 366 was measured at the line, as the straight still is a couple of meters longer, Williams showed the actual topspeed according to their data.

Shortly before braking it was 378 km/h. Thanks to Verstappens slip stream.

That is kind of quick.  Its only 10 kph slower than at the Indy 500! 

Hardly worth getting up at 5AM to watch it if I'm honest.

It must be the circuit design. Singapore in comparision is far more exciting.

Edited by camelspyyder

The GP2 race was much more wheel to wheel fighting, sad F1 was so tame.

Red Bull''s 2 stop strategy just did not look right IMO and both the RB drivers got bullied by more desperate drivers ie Bottas etc who say this race as one of the few chances to get on the bottom set of the podium.

Surprised Bottas did not get several reprimands in qualifying.

Lewis's failure to get his car in the right mode and the conversations with the pit crew was the most enjoyable part of the race and that is a bit of side show to was otherwise a fairly boring race on a uninsipiring track.

Rosberg championship to loose with maybe a few interesting races like Singapore to come.    

• Administrators

It's going to be one hell of an expensive weekend!

Turn 8-11 is going to be viewed from behind the sofa I think.

Turn 16 could be used like a joker lap :) Have to do one every 10laps :)

That gentleman is why I'm not a betting man.

leMans 24h on the other hand. Not much crash action, quite a bit of overtaking, not just between classes. before it settled down. But most every lap was  a racing lap. 30seconds after 24hours in some classes with minutes to go... far more emotional and enjoyable... still fell asleep in both though. Although F1 was from the leMan24 excess the night before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is he OK?

He's fine, The team rebuilt the car and he qualified 2nd, but has a 5 place grid penalty.

Kvyat's Toro Rosso  also suffered rear suspension failure

_90201390_daniilkvyat_getty1.jpg