2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

Autosprout seemed to think that Mercedes could get Pascal Wehrlein from Manor pretty much just by asking.

He's a product of Mercedes and they give Manor access to their wind tunnel in exchange for him. Former reserve and test driver, and DTM driver for Merc. Plus he's German.

Autosprout seemed to think that Mercedes could get Pascal Wehrlein from Manor pretty much just by asking.

Damn it! I was just updating my CV to send into Mercedes.

The perfect man to replace Rosberg is a multiple World Champion adored by fans all over the globe. He won't be impressed or perturbed by Hamilton's antics and is as cool and as stylish as they come. This man is ...

Valentino Rossi.

The perfect man to replace Rosberg is a multiple World Champion adored by fans all over the globe. He won't be impressed or perturbed by Hamilton's antics and is as cool and as stylish as they come. This man is ...

Valentino Rossi.

Bit old now, should have done in 5 years ago if we was doing to be.  John Surtees is the only person to have been world champ in both F1 and MotoGP and maybe ever will be.

It would take about a season to get ones neck up to strength too. New 2017 cars to pull even more G?  

Shame as this also further reduces the chances of women becoming F1 drivers due to the physiology.  

Wehrlein is the obvious choice as he is contracted to Mercedes and was placed with Manor to gain experience. He would be a good choice for them too as Woolf and Lauda would have an easier time with a de facto number 1 in Hamilton and a subservient driver to support him.

Ian

What I like about both Red Bull drivers is that if they are close behind another car you just know they will have a go.

Can't (or should I say "couldn't") say that about Rosberg.

• Like 1

Is Kvyat any good?

Autosport story "Kvyat: I matched Ricciardo during spell as RB team mates"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127516/i-matched-ricciardo-at-red-bull--kvyat

The Russian did actually outscore Dan by 3 points over the 2015 season - but I seem to remember a lot of bad luck for the Australian.

This year he beat Ricciardo only once out of 4 goes, then got spanked over the season by Carlos Jr.

Why did RB keep him on - marketing?

Edited by camelspyyder

Is Kvyat any good?

Why did RB keep him on - marketing?

I dunno, I quite like him tbh, he had a terrible time this season but he got RB a podium pretty quickly, once he was dropped back to TR he lost his way for a while but picked up a bit towards the end. 

I'm not sure why he's been retained, is there anyone below him coming through?

Autosport reports Massa back to Williams is a done deal.

Looks like Hamilton has a fast new team mate.

BBC reporting the same. Hamilton/Bottas should be a relatively stable partnership with plenty of potential for more 1-2 results. How the relationship develops after the first wheel-to-wheel incident will be interesting. And his wife is v fit!