Speed Limiter with ACC

Hi there

My SE-L TDI 150DSG doesn't have a speed limiter. I thought this was standard and did see it as an option.

Does anyone know if it should have be on there?

Thanks and regards

Rory

Normal cruise control with speed limiter is an option on the S model. ACC is standard across the range from SE upwards. 

The normal cruise control on the S model appears to come with the speed limiter function. It has an extra button on the bottom of the cruise control stalk and a small cruise icon with 'LIM' in it. If yours doesn't have this button, it doesn't have that kind of speed limiter. It is briefly covered in the manual under CCS. 

I am guessing that the speed limiter is not deemed necessary, as the ACC's radar regulates the speed according to the distance of the car in front, although I can see a use for a speed limiter in addition to the ACC as you may not want to use the latter all the time. 

Normal cruise control with speed limiter is an option on the S model. ACC is standard across the range from SE upwards. 

The normal cruise control on the S model appears to come with the speed limiter function. It has an extra button on the bottom of the cruise control stalk and a small cruise icon with 'LIM' in it. If yours doesn't have this button, it doesn't have that kind of speed limiter. It is briefly covered in the manual under CCS. 

I am guessing that the speed limiter is not deemed necessary, as the ACC's radar regulates the speed according to the distance of the car in front, although I can see a use for a speed limiter in addition to the ACC as you may not want to use the latter all the time. 

I hope that there is a SL function on the SE-L Exec.  The A30 at Bodmin has new road works going on until 2017 with a beautiful chunk of, speed limited, sweeping road several miles long and I'm frequently breaking the stupid 40MPH average speed limit.  Always an open, traffic free road, at this time of year as the English don't remember that Cornwall is here until Easter.

Don't think my SE business with acc has a speed limiter. You just set the acc to the limit and it will make sure you don't exceed it anyway.

It does have a speed warning though for when the acc isn't on. This just makes a Bing sound when you exceed the speed you set in the system.

ACC does speed limiting by default.

ACC has the ability to apply the brakes unlike the conventional cruise control. in effect if you select 70 as the speed on ACC, then if you go down a steep hill the car will apply the brakes if required to maintain 70.

Try this

Set the ACC cruise control at 60mph, and switch on. Make sure nobody is behind and repeatedly hit "-" until the set speed is 40mph, the car will apply the brakes to slow to 40mph instead of just slowing down to 40 under engine braking.

Edited by mannyo

My Mk7 Golf with ACC has a mode button whereby it can be set to Speed limiter instead of ACC...Id be surprised if the Superb were different.

Is there no mode button/option on the stalk?

No and the user manual confirms. It's regular cruise with speed limiter or ACC. I'm a bit disappointed as I do like using the speed limiter and varying the speed up to that limit.

Edited by hecklerx
  • Like 1

I hope that there is a SL function on the SE-L Exec. The A30 at Bodmin has new road works going on until 2017 with a beautiful chunk of, speed limited, sweeping road several miles long and I'm frequently breaking the stupid 40MPH average speed limit. Always an open, traffic free road, at this time of year as the English don't remember that Cornwall is here until Easter.

This is why I think Skoda missed a trick. Joining traffic sign recognition to ACC would in effect become a speed limiter for any given speed at the place you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been out to check my L&K having read about the limiter in the manual. My wife's Mk7 Golf GT Tdi has both ACC & Speed limiter. The SL system is great for town driving where by you can control the speed up to the set limit but not exceed it which I love. I think Skoda have dropped the ball by not including both systems on the Superb. First disappointment since picking the car up this morning.

What is this speed limiter you guys are talking about? How does it work?

On my Octy the ACC will brake downhill so I wont exeed the set speed.

Is the speed limiter something similar?

I believe you can set a maximum speed limit and after that it doesn't matter how hard you floor it, you will not exceed your set limit.

Pretty nice for driving in town - i had no idea ACC removed that when i ordered it : /

Edited by Vaim
  • Like 1

They didn't link traffic sign recognition to the ACC as the system can and will miss badly placed or masked signs which could lead inattentive drivers into trouble. It can't be linked to the road speed database either as that is frequently wrong too. Unless it is 100% reliable then manufacturers will not chance it in case they get sued.

Personally I use a completely standard option - called a MK 1 Eyeball - and pay attention to what I am doing. Rule number 1 - never rely on automation as if it can break then it will, and always when you least expect/want it!

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 3

There is the option to code the speed limiter with VCDS.... HOWEVER once coded it doesn’t make any difference (it is meant to limit your speed to the TSR limits)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I might be mistaken but it looks to me as though the speed limiter may now be available along side ACC. Page 232 of the latest available manual online (for cars produced since 2016/11) shows an ACC stalk with the mode select button and describes how to select the speed limiter function. Image below hopefully..

http://snpy.in/sBJ4QG

Is anyone able to shed any further light?

I might be mistaken but it looks to me as though the speed limiter may now be available along side ACC. Page 232 of the latest available manual online (for cars produced since 2016/11) shows an ACC stalk with the mode select button and describes how to select the speed limiter function. Image below hopefully..

http://snpy.in/sBJ4QG

Is anyone able to shed any further light?

Hm, I wonder if this is a simple software thing, since the earlier ACC lever is the same.

As far as I can see there is an extra button on the bottom of the stalk compared to the previous version?

Yes that's what I thought. I understood the earlier / current stalk doesn't have the Mode button along its bottom edge. Anyone able to confirm?

I'm hoping my car will have what is shown in the latest owner's manual when it's delivered around mid-Feb time - current car has speed limiter and cruise and I find both have their place - the speed limiter is great in town where you can set it at 33-34 (30-31 by GPS) and accelerate with some meaning if required, but not worry about creeping over the limit. Also makes general driving in town much safer to my mind as don't have to keep checking your speed - you can fully concentrate on what's happening outside which is the way it should be. All cars should have them in my opinion (although that could be a slippery slope..)

So, has anyone got or seen a Superb with the stalk as shown in the latest owner's manual? I'm guessing not as it's probably for cars yet to be delivered?

Edited by Mon55

Does the Superb not have a Winter tyres setting?  So you will get a visual/audio reminder when a predefined speed is exceeded?  It obvs won't apply the brakes but would at least give a warning that is hard to miss. 

Does the Superb not have a Winter tyres setting?  So you will get a visual/audio reminder when a predefined speed is exceeded?  It obvs won't apply the brakes but would at least give a warning that is hard to miss. 

Possibly, I know previous cars of mine have had a similar function - but you could only have one speed set (without delving back into the settings) so it for example would only work in a 30 zone and then when you go into a 40 zone it would be warning you for going over the set speed. Plus it still requires you react and ease off / brake - the beauty of the speed limiter is that it requires no reaction (hence you can focus on spotting hazards rather than listening for alert tones and then checking how much you need to ease off by), and you've got full control up until the set speed, and the set speed can be changed in seconds. Works a treat in France where they are keen on changing the speed limit every 200 yards.

I really don´t see the need of a limiter, when you can set the ACC on the desired speed - but each to their own :)

To reply to the above stated question: yes, there is a setting for winter tyres in the infotainment.

I really don´t see the need of a limiter, when you can set the ACC on the desired speed - but each to their own :)

To reply to the above stated question: yes, there is a setting for winter tyres in the infotainment.

Using cruise control, adaptive or not, in London or other busy urban areas is not a great idea in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this in case anyone has a recently delivered Superb with the bottom edge button and a speed limiter function...?

Yes that's what I thought. I understood the earlier / current stalk doesn't have the Mode button along its bottom edge. Anyone able to confirm?

I'm hoping my car will have what is shown in the latest owner's manual when it's delivered around mid-Feb time - current car has speed limiter and cruise and I find both have their place - the speed limiter is great in town where you can set it at 33-34 (30-31 by GPS) and accelerate with some meaning if required, but not worry about creeping over the limit. Also makes general driving in town much safer to my mind as don't have to keep checking your speed - you can fully concentrate on what's happening outside which is the way it should be. All cars should have them in my opinion (although that could be a slippery slope..)

So, has anyone got or seen a Superb with the stalk as shown in the latest owner's manual? I'm guessing not as it's probably for cars yet to be delivered?