Which phone holder?

I'm currently waiting for a Superb (Estate Business SE) which is hopefully going to be with me in a couple of weeks (having been told it would take 10-12 weeks 21 weeks ago!).

I'm just wondering if any owners have found a decent phone holder.

I like to use the free satnav app Waze and I prefer to have the satnav screen more in-line with the view ahead.

In the past I've used a windscreen-mounted suction-cup holder, which is fine, but does mean reaching a long way forwarad when inserting and removing the phone.

Thanks for any suggestions

The car has sat nav and the directions can be presented in the dot maxi, so not sure why you would want to use the phone ?  The sat nav in my opinion is pretty good for a factory option.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far. I use Waze because it has excellent trafic avoidance and very good user-imput facilities (so it will tell you what's happened ahead if you're in a traffic jam for instance).

Also, I don't like having to look down at the central console for directions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far. I use Waze because it has excellent trafic avoidance and very good user-imput facilities (so it will tell you what's happened ahead if you're in a traffic jam for instance).

Also, I don't like having to look down at the central console for directions.

That´s why the directions are shown in the MaxiDOT as well.

• Like 1

The car has sat nav and the directions can be presented in the dot maxi, so not sure why you would want to use the phone ?  The sat nav in my opinion is pretty good for a factory option.

I must say I find the additional display of the SATNAV instructions on the MAXIDOT display very useful! It's just another "simply clever" feature IMHO.  :clap:

• Like 2

Do you use Waze on an iPhone or Android device? If it's Android, the guys at Waze have confirmed that support for Android Auto is coming soon, so it'll run on the infotainment screen. It won't run on the MaxiDot though, so as per your previous post about not wanting to look down, it may not be what you want...

Edited by grebble
  • Like 2

Do you use Waze on an iPhone or Android device? If it's Android, the guys at Waze have confirmed that support for Android Auto is coming soon, so it'll run on the infotainment screen. It won't run on the MaxiDot though, so as per your previous post about not wanting to look down, it may not be what you want...

I wish they'd hurry up and get waze on Android auto, it is certainly the best at skirting around problems and general routing. I have my phone laying across the central cup holders, not very easy to see though.

• Like 1

if you selected the heated windshield, you could have some issues with the signal reception ( both GSM and GPS )

My car has the heated windscreen and there is no lost reception. Before adding the windscreen as an extra I ask Skoda CS for confrimation which they did with the following reply

I have discussed your comments with our Technical Support Team who advised that the phone reception works through the aerial;

the signal for the mobile depends on which area you are driving through. If a portable satellite navigation unit is stuck to the

front windscreen that will cause interference.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Grebble - I use android, so your info is very helpful - thanks.

Bugginbob - thanks for the recommendation - I actually already own one of those and it was nicely made. I didn't get on with it in my old Golf though - where I could get it to fit in the Golf meant it wasn't high enough for my liking. The vents on the Superb look higher and more in-line though - so this might be a runner.

just try Waze :)

none of bultin navs can be compared to online nav

@Tangent

try something on long arm, experiment isn't so expensive

Universal-360-Degree-Rotating-Long-Arm-W

@rufusmcc - how about the GPS from an external device, does it lock to the satellites ? 

sorry dont know that as the SEL has the on baord sat nav. I was worried about the phone reception and the heated windscreen as in my duaghter corsa it is crap which i think may be due to the wires in the windscreen. it does worst if the windscreen is switch on. When I have phone from the superb it has been commented how clear the line is.

Not True!

no GPS signal drop, tested by GPS Test on Note4

I tested myself with the 3G/4G signal with CellMapper, and there is a significant signal reduction , around 3-4dBm . I could not test with the GPS because it was indoor, but i can speculate that it does affect the signal. What is the difference between inside the car and outside ? ( looking at the  GPS satellites SNR value)

Used a Brodit proclip from my Mk 2 (which fits neatly beside the gearstick, used to be beside the radio where everyone's leg hit it)) and added a wireless charger pad for my Samsung. About half an hour of DIY, removing the back of the Samsung charger and mating it (drilled two small screw holes) to the Brodit. All I have to do is drop the phone on, and it's charging. USB is permanent from the socket and lead goes in front of the sliding phone box cover. Advantages are that it's simples to use, just drop the phone on (but I can also squeeze the clip tight if I want), much easier to press buttons etc with hand balances on DSG lever, doesn't get knocked. Disadvantages are that it's not in eyeline (but then again not so obvious to thieves), and it hides the auto park button (but I know it's there...). 

Samsung phone holder