The Croctavia, Outofthi5world's Octy track car

Outofthi5world

Red or black?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should I paint the car rattle can red or chalk-board black?

• Rattle can red
    • Chalk Board black
    • I don't care, it's your car do what you want
    • Leave it, I was not blessed with the gift of sight, I'm reading this by braille and I like it the way it is.
  2. 2. Scrap or fix?

• Scrap it, buy a VRS or something and get rid of the Croc
    • Keep the Croc, fix the caliper and wishbone bush, lower it and carry on, it was fun
    • I'll buy it off you!

So since there's only so much you can do with no money and not much left to do I emptied everything out of the car and got the hoover out again.

What was in the car then? Not much. A set of wheels, a spare pair of headlights, a spare pair of indicator units to go with them, a spare pair of door mirrors, trolley jack, spare trim from above number-plate, some good cable ties and a lot of cut off cable ties, cut off tape, the sound deadening fluff from the roof, aerial cable and a load of other little bits that are of no use to man nor beast. All big bits put into the bin and little bits hoovered up, put a few screws back in the rear bumper and the trim back on and I grabbed a few photos of the car in its current state:

IMG_0314_zps9vfcxafc.jpg

IMG_0315_zpshrlc0giq.jpg

IMG_0316_zpsfoha01st.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsjwkjuu98.jpg

IMG_0318_zpssouimdag.jpg

IMG_0319_zpslhmg4pkm.jpg

IMG_0320_zpsgwjrufv8.jpg

IMG_0321_zps0ffkq33a.jpg

IMG_0323_zpsemj1nblk.jpg

So having a quick tot up of the cost of the car things kind of look like this:

Car - £171

Spare headlights - £85

Headlights for MOT - £30

Door - £30

Wing - £20

Rear brake caliper - £20

Tailgate - £30

Fire extinguisher - £8

Stickers - £15

Rear brakes - £50

Front brakes - £277

Oil and filters - £45

MOT - £130

So basically the things it needed to be a working, functioning car with 12 months MOT are just the car, the headlights for the MOT, rear caliper, oil and filters and the MOT its self, which comes out at £396. Not bad when you get a car with 12 months test for under £400 :)

Add the rest on and you get to £911, plus the last bit which is a secret that will be going on after the re-spray, that cost £40 taking it to £951 then I'm going to get some paint off Ebay for a cheap spray job, 48 cans for £48 taking it to £999 So that's essentially a good track car for "less than" a grand I say "less than" because there's tools that I've bought and I've bought a few cans of spray. But The wheels are provisionally sold for £20 when we can get a mutual day off for collection and then I have a brand new door and wing that I don't need and a steel spare wheel which is still for sale. Rear head rests are still for sale and so are the A pillar trims if anyone's doing pod mods and wants them, there's a drivers door speaker here, drivers door interior handle, under radio cubby hole and both ash trays. Make me an offer if you want them.

As long as this car lasts it should be a hoot. £999 for a track car with a full set of spare headlights, both spare mirrors, spare drivers door window and spare door and wing.

• Like 4

I have been reading this over the past few weeks didn't realise it was soo recent where r u based as i have free mapping software if you'd be intrested ;)

I have a mk1 octavia estate with an asz pd130 n 6 speed box will do rolling burnout in 2nd tried re mapping it again however clutch slipped so had to pull some mid range boost out of it

• Like 1

I have been reading this over the past few weeks didn't realise it was soo recent where r u based as i have free mapping software if you'd be intrested ;)

I have a mk1 octavia estate with an asz pd130 n 6 speed box will do rolling burnout in 2nd tried re mapping it again however clutch slipped so had to pull some mid range boost out of it

I'm always interested when that word is mentioned...

It would have to be after Bedford if it's going to happen because at the minute, having only driven the car for 22 miles (1 mile just shuffling around the drive :D) the car could still blow up on its first day out.

I'm near Catterick Garrisson anyway, don't know how close to you that is.

On another note, I've done nothing to the car today apart from start it and let it charge its battery for a couple of minutes. Having a bit of a think about what's left to do and added coolant to the now quite short list.

Ordered some paint today, there's two different red paints I'm thinking of using, both available as a pack of 48 from the same seller on E-bay at the same price, but 2 different brands. I've ordered one of each to get them here and see if there's any difference between the two and see which if either I want the car to be then I'll go ahead and order the pack, or not, we'll see.

Sadly you are over 4 n 1/4 hours away i live near southampton

A bit far then :D No worries.

Anyway, on to the topic. Taxed the Octy today for 6 months at a cost of £72, I bought a new thermostat and some pink stuff and a black catch can, pulled some pipes off and took the thermostat out, stuck a hose in some holes and put things back together again then put some water in, sat with the revs at around 2K till it warmed up to 90 and kept topping it up, by the time I got any heat into the rad though I gave up, there was a bit of heat there but not much, temp was staying straight at 90 so I've insured it and am going to be taking it for a spin in about 45 minutes then I'll be going somewhere in it tomorrow.

Edited by Outofthi5world

So I took some hoses off and drained the coolant yesterday, replaced the thermostat and filled it back up again. Sat with the revs around 2K for a while until the needle was straight up and stayed there for a while longer but couldn't get the rad to warm up so thought I'd take it for a drive and try warming it up properly. So I insured it for 24 hours starting at 7 last night and gave it a thrashing round some dales roads.

Stopped to take a couple of pictures in a lay-by and check the coolant.

IMG_0326_zpsohoua8yz.jpg

IMG_0328_zpsum6pfwjz.jpg

IMG_0329_zpsyrowjrna.jpg

Coolant level was fine but the radiator was stone cold and has been all day apart from tonight when I got behind a modified Golf Mk lV and that just to say warmed the rad up at the top so I think it'll be fine.

But it doesn't half turn heads!

• Like 2

Is it hard to change o/s wing as I've had a bit of an incident but hay ho only wing managed to find one in good nick for deacent money so that's arriving hopefully friday just bolts under bonnet across top under arch liner and inside door hinge aera isn't it ?

Is it hard to change o/s wing as I've had a bit of an incident but hay ho only wing managed to find one in good nick for deacent money so that's arriving hopefully friday just bolts under bonnet across top under arch liner and inside door hinge aera isn't it ?

there's a sneaky one behind the front bumper to, got to pull the bump strip off on that side remove bumper bolts so you can pull bumper out enough to get to the wing bolt.

Fantastic thanks for the quick reply hopefully get it all sorted myself then luckily the wing is from a silver octavia as well so shouldn't be too miss matched haha

I knew it had a boost leak!

And what a leak it was to!

Got it insured until Wednesday morning and took it to VASStech to see if they could diagnose it, guy came out to look, stuck his head in and I revved it up, great big hole in the boost pipe:

IMG_0333_zpshhjwsjqc.jpg

Had been wearing on the pulley when the engine was revving and tilting over. So of course everyone was shut or not delivering on Saturday so a trip down to the scrap yard came up with a new pipe off a crash damaged Golf. Nearly the same pipe but with a couple of added hose fasteners on the sides. Cut those off and it's identical, so that got fitted and cable tied to the side of the car to keep it a bit further away from that pulley, a bit of gaffer tape round it will show up any wear form the pulley like a saw thumb so hopefully it should be alright now. Drives like a different car, way more responsive.

IMG_0331_zpsweh7yxj5.jpg

I knew that pipe was wearing but didn't realize it was all the way through.  :blush:

Edited by Outofthi5world

So after the track-day yesterday I've used half of the new break pads and screwed the tyres that were on the front:

IMG_0340_zpsriel9ias.jpg

They are showing canvas on the edge there, the rest if the tyre is still above the wear indicators though, so I will have to play with the caber to sort it out I think.

IMG_0339_zps4twh12me.jpg

Used a lot of pad but they were very effective.

Collected quite a lot of flies in the day:

IMG_0341_zpshthaxv7c.jpg

I'm surprised I haven't got more flies on the sides of the car to be honest.

Then I've made an inspired purchase this morning based on my experience yesterday:

IMG_0338_zpsuqjx7b42.jpg

Nice jack that will lift both wheels off the floor at the same time as shown.

Thanks to Jason (Devontopia) for allowing me to use his jack, and John for letting me use his wheel hangers.

Car ran brilliantly, not a single hiccup all day including the long drive home, the only thing was it dumps more washer fluid on the floor than on the screen so I'll have to look at that. But overall I'm very impressed with it.

• Like 4

Has someone sat on the spoiler lol

The wishbone bush has dislodged needs changing, surprised you haven't herd it clonking around

No, spoiler is good, just the camera angle I think. Bush has been behaving fine, car has been the same turning both ways so no ill effects, but I'll maybe do something with it at some point.

So since I haven't posted the video and pictures from Bedford in this topic I'll put them in this post:

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_1864_zps9pqs4fpn.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_1532_zpswvbmcmds.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0817_zpspklhunfi.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0786_zpsnbqdureq.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0698_zpszmitsaox.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0562_zpsy9m6ue2d.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0157_zpso6apolnf.jpg

PR_160516_MSVT_BA_0088_zpsazrwnft3.jpg

The video was shot on a cheap Go-pro and the photos were taken by the official MSV photographer and bought from their site. It was great fun and a joy to drive.

• Like 3

So... when are you fitting stiffer suspension? Going by the amount of tripodding and body roll, you could with freshing them up - id say its the reason you lunched the tyres :D looks great though, not out of place at all :thumbup:

Ha ha, it roles a bit but it's good fun. At the minute I have the Monte to service and another track day to book then I'll see, I suspect I'll have a set of tyres and break pads to buy after that so that takes me into August. So it looks like suspension is going to be a winter job I think. I'm currently looking into poly wishbone bushes as one of the existing ones is not looking too good but i have too much month left at the end of my money to do that yet. I'm thinking the tyre wear could be reduced by adjusting to give more camber so they roll onto the middle rather than the edges.

Edited by Outofthi5world

ive still got the apex springs and bilstien b4's for sale if you are interested

I'd have them off you in a heartbeat but I've got to book in at Croft (or lets face it, there would be no point having the car :D) and then the Monte has to go in for a service and there's a couple of non car related things I have to get done and that will wipe out this months wages, If you still have them by the beginning of July I'll probably have enough cash to be able to afford them, but don't go saving them just for me if someone else wants them.