"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

On 10/02/2020 at 16:35, sharkrider said:

ok, car is fixed, new driveshaft in, oddly the guy says the rack is putting the shafts under massive pressure on full lock.... anyone else running the TT rack on their cars? 

IMG_5207.JPEG

if you go for cupra cast arms, hubs etc it wouldn't put stress on your drive shaft 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dubDEAN said:

skoda genuine shafts? 

if not any links?  as bought a shaftec one and wasn't balanced properly 

he said they were OE quality "new" shafts, as most a reconditioned, and he decided my car would eat reconditioned ones, so he put "proper" ones on..... no idea of the details.

• Like 1

brand spanking new, as its a new tyre from them!

IMG_5220.JPEG

Eagle F1 SUPERSPORT .. according to the guy from tyre reviews, who tested it back to back against the "benchmark" michelin PS4S, it was exactly the same time round the track in the dry (in an M2 competition) and several seconds faster in the wet... win win, especially as it was £20 each cheaper than the michelin supersports it replaced, and very hard sidewalls to, specifically to improve track performance 

IMG_5222.JPEG

• Like 2

On 26/02/2020 at 08:01, dubDEAN said:

look forward to the opinions after you put some miles on them :) 

done a bit now... definatley as good as the michelin pilot supersports in the dry, and miles better in the wet, a step up really, a track tyre that will stand up to lap after lap, yet let you drive to work in the pouring rain.... technology is moving on!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, sharkrider said:

Anyone else manage to get out of prison in their cars?! I was obviously going for essentials, hence the milk :) shame we live in such a nice spot of the world! lol...

IMG_5531.JPEG

IMG_5532.JPEG

No need to milk the cow directly supermarkets will get the farmer to do it for you.:tongueout:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like you could do to sort a couple of things under there mate.

Not ideal having the fuel regulator working off a t from the recirc valve, that could very much interfere with fuel pressure, particularly if the valve ever leaks. Best the reg has it's own pipe.

Also, that kink in the pipe going to your catch can is not favourable. These engines get unhappy with restrictions in the pcv system. When I had my yellow Octavia, I used too narrow diametre pipework for a catch can and it caused to to go through oil very quickly and blow massive clouds of smoke on overrun. Get an appropriately angled joiner on there.

340660488_davesengine.thumb.jpg.cd86440f00f099fa9cfb3ccd4c2842ca.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, niceyellow vrs said:

Looks like you could do to sort a couple of things under there mate.

Not ideal having the fuel regulator working off a t from the recirc valve, that could very much interfere with fuel pressure, particularly if the valve ever leaks. Best the reg has it's own pipe.

Also, that kink in the pipe going to your catch can is not favourable. These engines get unhappy with restrictions in the pcv system. When I had my yellow Octavia, I used too narrow diametre pipework for a catch can and it caused to to go through oil very quickly and blow massive clouds of smoke on overrun. Get an appropriately angled joiner on there.

340660488_davesengine.thumb.jpg.cd86440f00f099fa9cfb3ccd4c2842ca.jpg

Yes agreed. That was a temp repair when the boost gauge broke in Germany at the ring... I need to redo the boost gauge, also   I need hose thats up to the job for the breather system, so all that catch can set-up needs new hose....  the DV is piped in in a convoluted way because I had to repair the oversize TIP... and I have my secondary air intake mapped out, however I still have the hardware in , and need to remove it all! lol.... its functional and works though, running perfect... but I understand the failings.... I like all the work you've managed to do on yours while off work, unfortunately I can only bend under the bonnet for minutes before my back becomes untolerable 😞  I will get round to it though!!!!! watch this space! ;) Really enjoyed driving it in the hot and dry today, the goodyear supersport tyres are a revelation.

• 2 weeks later...

redone the breather pipe as Haydn suggested.... better flow there now...  for other peoples info too, it used to use a fair bit of oil (about a litre every 3,000 miles or so...) now uses virtually none...

IMG_5639.JPEG

• Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 15:20, sharkrider said:

never fails to suprise me what comes out of the catch can! 😮 

IMG_5638.JPEG

This does make me wonder if I should be investing in a catch can, especially seeing what was in my breather hose last week.  

I noticed that Creations Motorsport sell one for £65 which is somewhere in the middle of the price range they seem to go for.

https://creationsmotorsport.com

What spurred you onto fitting one in the first place?  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, skinnyman said:

This does make me wonder if I should be investing in a catch can, especially seeing what was in my breather hose last week.  

I noticed that Creations Motorsport sell one for £65 which is somewhere in the middle of the price range they seem to go for.

https://creationsmotorsport.com

What spurred you onto fitting one in the first place?  

17 hours ago, niceyellow vrs said:

@skinnyman I bought this can

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222675993452

Exactly the same as the creations one but without a logo on it.

Still works out a bit cheaper when you buy the hoses separately. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272384995395

yeah, i bought a generic can for £20 and some 19mm "hose kit" , then copied a guide thats on here !

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

I think the Mk1 is still a good looking car.  In this era of blobby SUVs, a photo like the above highlights to me that I much prefer the simple silhouette of your car to any of the offerings such as the Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-30.👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

They seem to be disappearing at a rate of about 300 a year with just 1500 on the road now according to how many left. 

It'll worth something soon. 

I'm keeping mine until just before they shoot up in price when I'll sell it for next to nothing then quickly regret it. 

Its a speciallity of mine! 

• Haha 1

I know! I keep thinking , must soon go up.... next MOT I will need a little weld to sort my bent sill out! 😮 but determined to keep it top condition~! we even saw as many alfa Brera's as we did mk1 vRSs! the one we saw was parked up too... its happening with the mk1 mx5s.... prices are steadily rising for ones that are not rusting away! This was skodas first RS , and a rally winner... so got to be a special place for them!

• Like 1