I don't like the ACC, deal with it.

I really don't get on with the ACC. What a stupid system. It's ridiculous the way it applies the brakes or more to the point illuminates the brake lights, when just taking the throttle off would have produced the same result. Unnecessary braking causes a ripple effect on motorways and dual carriageways and ultimately causes hold ups. ACC, lane departure warning and the like will only serve to make drivers less safe. 

• Like 1

Fair enough, and agree that brake lights flashing unnecessarily sends maybe an unintentional message to other drivers.

On the flip side, if all vehicles had ACC on motorways, there wouldn't be half the hold ups and accidents and we'd all get to the other end of our journey quicker....

I would say, if you don't like it, don't use it. I only use mine these days through average speed monitored road works or when it's quiet, pretty much as I use to with my previous car that has standard cruise control.

I really don't get on with the ACC. What a stupid system. It's ridiculous the way it applies the brakes or more to the point illuminates the brake lights, when just taking the throttle off would have produced the same result. Unnecessary braking causes a ripple effect on motorways and dual carriageways and ultimately causes hold ups. ACC, lane departure warning and the like will only serve to make drivers less safe. 

I love ACC. Deal with it ;-)

• Like 2

This is the first car i have had with ACC, I love it,much better than the normal CC, I set it up, switched on and let the car do the work, especially good in the road works on the M25, with Average Speed Cameras, great at keeping distance from vehicle in front, amazing to feel the car slow and accelerate without intervention, whats not to like about it.

Now find the normal CC on my Company Octavia SE Business DSG quite inadequate to be honest, just my opinion.

Edited by roughrider10
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, this is an ACC bashing thread. No ACC appreciation here please  ;)

As for the 'don't use it' comments, I don't now, I tried it, I didn't like it, but you ACC lovers all feel free to carry on letting your car unnecessarily illuminate your brake lights on the motorway rather than you taking your foot off the throttle and planning ahead  :rofl:

As for the 'don't use it' comments, I don't now, I tried it, I didn't like it, but you ACC lovers all feel free to carry on letting your car unnecessarily illuminate your brake lights on the motorway rather than you taking your foot off the throttle and planning ahead  :rofl:

Wonder what the life of the brake pads is for a ACC driver v a non ACC driver.....

now theres a comp for you PeteT :)

• Like 1

Just because the brake lights come on, (and how do you know they do?) does not mean the brakes are being applied. I cannot say that I have been aware of the brakes being applied unnecessarily whilst using ACC

Just because the brake lights come on, (and how do you know they do?) does not mean the brakes are being applied. I cannot say that I have been aware of the brakes being applied unnecessarily whilst using ACC

Why would the car illuminate the brake lights unless it was braking? Jedi mind tricks?! As for how do I know - I use my mirrors and the LED brake lights are very obvious lighting signs, number plates etc after dark. 

I very much doubt the break likes will come on every time the ACC breaks... for example, if it's just to maintain speed rather than to literally slow down.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, as I was carelessly steering my way through an A round with the ACC on. I bet there's some mathematical logic that determines if the lights go on or not. Such as, how abruptly is the car slowing down... meters per second sort of thing.

Surely it's not as straightforward as.. if breaking, irrelevant of of much, lights go on!

Have thought about asking a mate to drive behind me while on hands free.. with my ACC on. Just to test it.....

Edited by Didorx

I very much doubt the break likes will come on every time the ACC breaks... for example, if it's just to maintain speed rather than to literally slow down.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, as I was carelessly steering my way through an A round with the ACC on. I bet there's some mathematical logic that determines if the lights go on or not. Such as, how abruptly is the car slowing down... meters per second sort of thing.

Surely it's not as straightforward as.. if breaking, irrelevant of of much, lights go on!

Have thought about asking a mate to drive behind me while on hands free.. with my ACC on. Just to test it.....

I've no doubt that there is a certain threshold, probably based on the distance set but they still illuminate on occasions where they wouldn't when manually driving / slowing and that is my point.

Wow a rant against some of the greatest driver AIDS of the modern day. I wonder if Pete feels that the wireless in cars distracts drivers? Pete don't switch off your ACC, anticipate hold ups and drive to the traffic conditions then no suprise braking, no tail gateing and the ACC gets to do its job. Which I find it does wonderfully.

• Like 1

Wow a rant against some of the greatest driver AIDS of the modern day. I wonder if Pete feels that the wireless in cars distracts drivers? Pete don't switch off your ACC, anticipate hold ups and drive to the traffic conditions then no suprise braking, no tail gateing and the ACC gets to do its job. Which I find it does wonderfully.

It only 'aids' driving if you're lazy or incompetent IMHO Mike. Not sure what your comment about wireless is all about as that's nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle per se.

Edited by Pete T

It only 'aids' driving if you're lazy or incompetent IMHO Mike. Not sure what your comment about wireless is all about as that's nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle per se.

Lazy or incompetent it you use ACC ? Now that's s bit of a sweeping statement Pete !

If people disagree with you ..... Well if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen:-D

• Like 1

If people disagree that's fine Nick, we're all entitled to our opinion on these things. It does make me laugh how people on here get so irate when others don't concur. Keep illuminating those brake lights ACC fans ;)

• Like 1

If people disagree that's fine Nick, we're all entitled to our opinion on these things. It does make me laugh how people on here get so irate when others don't concur. Keep illuminating those brake lights ACC fans ;)

Lol !! Same on all forums Pete ! Take it all with a pinch of salt and have fun ! Never bite.... My ( real ) take on ACC..... It's OK. I pretty much treat it like normal cruise though. When its on I'm always braking well before it kicks in. I've learned to anticipate it slowing down when I need to pull out on the motorway.

Of the couple of occasions I've thought it was really useful....

Stuck in a jam for 45 mins on the motorway in stop start..... It was great.

50 mph roadworks again great.... Car in front keeps slowing... No problem..

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

I set it up, switched on and let the car do the work, especially good in the road works on the M25, with Average Speed Cameras,

From what I have read on here, ACC won't help you with average speed cameras. If the posted speed drops to 50 mph and the car in front continues to do 70 mph, unless you are paying attention and slow the car down, it will keep pace with the car in front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I have read on here, ACC won't help you with average speed cameras. If the posted speed drops to 50 mph and the car in front continues to do 70 mph, unless you are paying attention and slow the car down, it will keep pace with the car in front.

You set it to the speed of the roadworks though? That's what I do.

Go through the M1 works @ J19 - even before ACC i'd set my cruise at 55, no problem.

• Like 1

You set it to the speed of the roadworks though? That's what I do.

Go through the M1 works @ J19 - even before ACC i'd set my cruise at 55, no problem.

I agree. That's what I do with my regular CC on my SII, but I don't think that's what roughrider meant. At least it didn't come across that way.

Since it is the bashing thread: I really do not like it, because I do not have it in my Superb 2. :D

Well, I can not help it: ACC rules B) .

• Like 1

I agree. That's what I do with my regular CC on my SII, but I don't think that's what roughrider meant. At least it didn't come across that way.

Your right of course, I set the ACC to the Speed restriction, say 50MPH for instance and then jus let the car do its thing, as we all know, as the car in front slows or the ACC will slow you down, if the car in front then accelerates the ACC will increase your speed up to the speed setting that you have defined, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

If I could reduce the gap when the car slows down I would be a lot happier,

as it is (set on the ‘very close’ setting) the car will slow down around 100 yards from the car in front, this is far too early if you are only doing a few MPH quicker than them, resulting in you either having to knock it off to close the gap a bit, or potentially holding up the cars behind you when you pull out to overtake them.

If I could reduce the gap when the car slows down I would be a lot happier,

as it is (set on the ‘very close’ setting) the car will slow down around 100 yards from the car in front, this is far too early if you are only doing a few MPH quicker than them, resulting in you either having to knock it off to close the gap a bit, or potentially holding up the cars behind you when you pull out to overtake them.

Or just press the accelerator, admittedly this defeats the point a little.

Edited by nicowalker85