Lead Times......

I have just enquired how long for delivery of a red 280 L&K estate and was told 16-20 weeks!! Wow, I remember back in the day when car manufacturers had massive fields full of cars and it took maybe a fortnight at the most.

At the same time I found out that the lead time of the new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Excel is 6 months......no wonder dealerships are asking silly money for nearly new cars!

Wow, I remember back in the day when car manufacturers had massive fields full of cars and it took maybe a fortnight at the most.

Been a while since you bought a new car, then? Those days are long gone. It's all built-to-order these days unless you opt for an ex-demostrator or showroom display.

I got my best ever deal by knowing where the local Ford dealer stored their cars - a nearby airfield - so on a night patrol I checked their stock of XR2s, chose the one I wanted, then bluffed the salesman by saying I didn't want this or that option which I knew full well it had. Eager to sell, I got an £8,500 XR2 for £5,000 (back in 1985).

• Like 1

I bought the showroom model last week because of this. Not quite the spec I wanted but better than waiting four months for a car that might arrive with the wrong gubbins anyway...

• Like 1

Here is one answer to long lead times. Skoda is just selling more cars, including the Superb, in almost all their markets. According to Skoda´s recent news release Superb sales world-wide increased by 62,3% (January 2016 compared with January 2015). The figures are deliveries to customer.

https://media.skoda-auto.com/en/_layouts/Skoda.PRPortal/pressrelease.aspx?ID=970

• Like 1

Get the dealer to check if there is any stock in pipeline or at Emden port.

When I got my Octavia there were approx 20 at port.

Ok I had to have 2 options I didn't really want, but they discounted them and that saved a 12 week wait.

It had only been built 2 weeks previously so wasn't even that old.

At last. Received an email this afternoon confirming that our car has a fixed build week. It will be week 9. Here in Sweden it is now the end of week 7 so hopefully not long now. Was promised 12-16 weeks from our order the 27th November.

If looking for a stock vehicle, it's best to go for as high a basic spec as possible, to avoid disappointment on lack of options. The Mk2 Elegance spec was ideal for me. Because of that, I had 2 ex demos on the trot. I waited a FULL WEEK from signing and driving away on each occasion  :p

If looking for a stock vehicle, it's best to go for as high a basic spec as possible, to avoid disappointment on lack of options. The Mk2 Elegance spec was ideal for me. Because of that, I had 2 ex demos on the trot. I waited a FULL WEEK from signing and driving away on each occasion  :p

Think the issue is exceedingly low stock of SIII in general- in 12 months it may be better I guess once the initial rush of orders is out of the way

Think the issue is exceedingly low stock of SIII in general- in 12 months it may be better I guess once the initial rush of orders is out of the way

Yep. I waited a while before looking for an FL Superb, until there was a decent amount of used ones on Skoda's site. After three months or so, the demo cars get kicked out for sale, provided they don't get snapped up beforehand of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

At 6 o´clock (Swedish time) this evening we received some great news from our dealer. Not only has our new car been produced it has also left the factory. That´s 12 days after they confirmed that the car was to be built week 9. Spot on and we are now at around 13 weeks from when we placed our order.

The salesman had not received any specific date on when it will be in Sweden but he did give us information about our new plates - the vehicle registration number . Very excited to hear from him again.

We might just keep the 16 week lead time...

• Like 1

Am interested to read the lead times, was enquiring about a 280 L&K saloon here in Luxembourg to replace my Octavia Vrs and have been told approx. 9 month lead time given the demand. Other models are apparently around the normal 12 week factory order, but anything with 280 engine or L&K badges are starting to back up due to the sheer demand. 

When I had my Octavia a couple of years ago, the delivery times here were much shorter than the UK, I got mine in 10 weeks, when it seemed average UK time was 5 months - seems to be the opposite this time and its my turn to wait :)

Am interested to read the lead times, was enquiring about a 280 L&K saloon here in Luxembourg to replace my Octavia Vrs and have been told approx. 9 month lead time given the demand. Other models are apparently around the normal 12 week factory order, but anything with 280 engine or L&K badges are starting to back up due to the sheer demand. 

When I had my Octavia a couple of years ago, the delivery times here were much shorter than the UK, I got mine in 10 weeks, when it seemed average UK time was 5 months - seems to be the opposite this time and its my turn to wait :)

I hope its not 9 months......that will make it November for me!!!.....I only want a Superb, not a hand built Aston Martin!

• 2 weeks later...