Yeti making strange noise

Moggo

Hi all,

Just joined this great forum as I picked up my new 2014 1.2 tsi DSG SE Yeti.

Absolutely love the car aside from an odd noise which I'm wondering if any of you could help me with?

It is a scrapping/spinning noise coming from inside the dash I believe, it is a consistent speed noise almost half second gaps between the 'spins', I've turned heater fans off completely but noise remains, noise is not heard in the engine bay only in the car.

Revving the car does not speed up the noise at all and it does it whether in neutral, reverse, drive or park, doesn't do it with engine off but ignition on........I am completely stumped.

Any ideas would be greatly received (apart from turn the stereo up :))

Other than that I love the car and have learnt quite a bit from this forum already.

Thanks.

It does it with the fans completely off and stationary with no wind.

Just trying to think what other pumps etc could be running?!

I expected to hear it in the engine bay but it's not there. No adverse noise from the engine at all.

Could it be the Hard Disc Drive on the Amundsen?

I had a Columbus that was incredibly noisy, so much so that I eventually bought another off ebay & swapped 'em.

Might be worth removing the fuse to the unit & seeing if it still happens.

On the other hand.... thinking on, the Columbus HDD's still run for a bit after the ignition is turned off, so the noise would continue after switch off.  Do Amundsens also continue to run for a time after switching off?

Thanks for all your advice, fantastic forum :)

I will have a good test of a few of these things tomorrow to either rule them in or out.

The car is fantastic otherwise, amazingly responsive for a 1.2 and the DSG is great. My first auto and I think I would struggle to go back to manual.

Now if only the voice command lady would listen to me I'd be sorted :) She currently doesn't understand my welsh accent :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update - mechanic thinks it's the AC compressor, I'm a bit dubious though as it does it when AC is off altogether along with fan off?!

A new compressor is being ordered under warranty.

Does the compressor automatically run when engine is on regardless of AC settings being off? Any light shed on this would be great fully received.

Thanks.

Thanks for replies :)

He seems to say it's a faulty compressor, it's a clattering/spinning noise, worse when engine under load and when weather is dry, on wet days the noise seems to go!......I guess they are the experts :)

Yes, most compressors from the last 10 years at least run constantly and use a variable swash plate pump.

Don't they have a clutch system anymore?.

Seems odd

Why have an on/off button at all?.

I used to make sure it wasn't on unless it was too hot ........I seem to recall it would be activated if I went all the way down to LOW, when the AC light would come on automatically, which I could 'deactivate' manually.

When off, there is practically no load on it.

So it's not actually operating until it's triggered.

When I say I prefer manual on/off selection, I'm referring to mechanical work load on the engine.

The swashplate style is certainly more energy efficient but that doesn't mean there is no energy required when ON as opposed to OFF surely.

I could run mine at a selected temp bellow ambient and there was no cooling effect at all because it was selected OFF.

So, my question I guess is would you get a compressor clatter even when AC is off as I get this noise and the dealership says it's the AC compressor that's probably causing it??

I'm still thinking it may be something else, if they want to change it I will let them I guess. Just want the annoying noise fixed :(

Thanks.

So, my question I guess is would you get a compressor clatter even when AC is off as I get this noise and the dealership says it's the AC compressor that's probably causing it??

I'm still thinking it may be something else, if they want to change it I will let them I guess. Just want the annoying noise fixed :(

Thanks.

The compressor runs the whole time the engines runs. But when the AC is off there is only about 2% of refrigerant flow to prevent the seals drying out. There is no clutch like on older systems, the compressor runs direct of the aux belt.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk