Tow bar prep already fitted?

In my case the tow bar was the genuine Skoda one and the dealer chose to have a "professional" company to fit the bar. After the problems the towbar company lost all the business.

Went to a VW dealer to look at Golf before ordering the VRS and they too are outsourcing the tow bar supply and fit at around £300 - £350. Although looking at the price VW charge for the same bar as a factory fit, I can see why customers(custards) take the cheaper option.

Agree on the professionalism of the fitter but not sure how easy it is for a dealer using their kit to code for the tow bar.

I invested in the VCDs afterwards.

In my case the tow bar was the genuine Skoda one and the dealer chose to have a "professional" company to fit the bar. After the problems the towbar company lost all the business.

Went to a VW dealer to look at Golf before ordering the VRS and they too are outsourcing the tow bar supply and fit at around £300 - £350. Although looking at the price VW charge for the same bar as a factory fit, I can see why customers(custards) take the cheaper option.

Agree on the professionalism of the fitter but not sure how easy it is for a dealer using their kit to code for the tow bar.

I invested in the VCDs afterwards.

Dead easy for a dealer to code for towbar.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

No module, just the wiring loom for the standard trailer (not caravan) electrics from the fusebox to the n/s/r quarter panel ready for the module and loom to the socket to be fitted.

Either that or my towbar prep is missing a trailer module :(

I'll check my boot sticker for the PR code tomorrow.

We (me and the towbar man) found that on my June 2014 car (MY15 ??) that I had ordered with Tow Bar Prep didn't actually need the extra wire from PF Jones to make the caravan electrics operate. I informed PF Jones of this and they no longer supply the additional cable (from what I understand anyway).

• Like 1

Just to add, at that point they had also changed the shape of the plug (inside the rear wheel arch) on the towbar prep as well as the module interface to match it. Maybe this was/is to avoid the confusion between the two systems, one with the caravan electrics requirement (extra wire) and one without.

P.S. yes Andy the module is part of the additional loom (as in the bit you would need to buy not the prep).

Edited by airscool
  • Like 1

I take all your points but I'd still be interested in your answer to my question as to how the clever electronics which its so crucial to adapt know whether it's a 1 tonne trailer attached or my 15kg carbon mountain bike

Because your bike won't cause sway so the stability control won't kick in.

Flip your argument the other way round and how does a bypass kit know you have connected a 1 tonne trailer and that enabling a built in safety system might be a good idea?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"£1000+" was mentioned and that was only for a fixed one which I didnt want, so I walked out. With the local guy you don't get the parking sensors disabled but who cares. everything else is top notch.

ouch!! thanks, think that rules that out then..

my car is through my company so would need to be a dealer fit but no way paying that sort of money. Ill get one fitted to our Astra instead.

ouch!! thanks, think that rules that out then..

my car is through my company so would need to be a dealer fit but no way paying that sort of money. Ill get one fitted to our Astra instead.

Is it through a lease company like lex? I fitted and aftermarket towbar to my lease car, called the lease company who wrote me a letter (mass produced) to say it was OK as long as fitted by a competent person and that the towbar should either be left on at the end of the lease or the car returned to prior towbar condition.

All very easy and no hassle - Volvo quoted £1300 for their towbar, local guy £270 for a PCT automotive.....

I take all your points but I'd still be interested in your answer to my question as to how the clever electronics which its so crucial to adapt know whether it's a 1 tonne trailer attached or my 15kg carbon mountain bike

It doesn't. If you are just using it for light work, a small camping trailer then not going to make much difference as weight probably not much different to a passenger or two. But if you intend to take a caravan to the hills or across a motorway bridge on a windy day then would appreciate the anti skid system being suitably mapped

Is it through a lease company like lex? I fitted and aftermarket towbar to my lease car, called the lease company who wrote me a letter (mass produced) to say it was OK as long as fitted by a competent person and that the towbar should either be left on at the end of the lease or the car returned to prior towbar condition.

All very easy and no hassle - Volvo quoted £1300 for their towbar, local guy £270 for a PCT automotive.....

yes it is, thanks for that i will give them a call and see what they say

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

New to the forum.....and about to pull the trigger on an Octavia Estate....but I need to be clear on the towbar options....I want a detachable bar but need the flanged variety as this is compatible with the Witter cycle carrier I use.  The factory fitted bar is a standard swan neck.  I have a Witter bar on the car I'm trading in but don't believe the flanged bar will be compatible.  

Can someone definitively confirm what tow bar prep means?  Surely this just means ready to attach a car specific electric kit, rather than everything but the detachable bar?

Really appreciate the heads up?  If anyone has a detachable swan neck, any chance of posting some picture to compare to my Witter one?

Many thanks

Simon

ocs_013.jpg.cdab7171cb52ee28cc96a658e2af2089.jpg

This is what my tow bar looks like on m,y 2016 2.0 TDi SE L DSG Estate.

This ain't my car BTW.

Edited by YMe

• 2 weeks later...

I know I have mentioned this before but for a anyone that missed it, I got a Brink towbar fitted with dedicated electrics for £280 at salop towing in Shrewsbury. They also sell erde trailers and although the same price as halfords they build them at no extra charge, I think halfords charge £65.