335d Xdrive am I nuts?

Aspman

V5 through. Get car on Thursday  :clap:

Sounds like you might be able to try out your Xdrive in the white stuff up there shortly this week.

Nice Christening for you.

Have fun.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/14/bmw-335d-xdrive-lci-m-sport-package-playing-snow/

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Maybe.

I have a mate with a 330d Xdrive, he said it's still ****e in the snow.

Better than the rwd I suppose.

it really winds me up when people say that their BMW/all BMW's are crap in the snow.

If you put propper winter tyres on, they're fine when driven to the conditions. Some people just expect their car to work all year round and under any conditions.

• Like 1

Some really are crap though even with winter tyres, just have a run up to Glasgow or even Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire tomorrow to see how many end up facing the wrong way or in ditches, on the back of transporters etc. Heavy pigs once sliding when drivers engage drive and not their brain. Ultimate driven sledge.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Steady on now, not a "bull in a china shop" on those white stuff roads tomorrow mate.

It's 4x4 what could possibly go wrong :nerd:

• Like 2

The software BMW uses on that gearbox is superb. it's almost as quick as a DSG and in comfort is so much smoother. I've owned and driven many auto/DSG gearboxes and the 8 speed (ZF) is the best by far. I don't know what BMW does with the software, but it seems to work better with this gearbox than other manufacturers have managed. 

Ive heard good things about the 8 speed box. :p

Can't say I've driven a great many auto's but it's bar far the best auto box I've ever driven and by some margin.

I had a 330d for an afternoon and I very quickly gave up on playing with the flappy paddles. The auto box was just so good there was no reason to use them.

That was without the mad GPS gearbox which knows where you are and picks the gears to suit the road not just your speed.

I've driven this box in two Jaguars (XF sport / XE S) and the 335D. It's been outstanding in each application, but software wise, I would say the BMW was probably the best resolved in auto mode. I didn't use the manual mode much in the 335D, used it a lot more in the XE S where it was useful for adding drag to the rear axle for balance and holding onto higher gears when pushing out of corners in full manual mode.

I found that unless I'm in one of the Sportier modes, the gear box doesn't do much swapping about using the GPS. At the end of the day my car produces peak torque around 1,250rpm and is pretty low geared in the first 6 gears, so gear swapping isn't too much of a necessity unless pressing on :D I think you will find something similar :)

• Like 1

Afternoon Aspman,

So in this awful weather, has the sun shone on your new wheels . Enjoy your day.

Hope the pick up and run out went well.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Got new wheels. Will put up a few pics when I can get some daylight.

Drove rather cautiously to start with because a) It was the rush hour B) It wouldn't be the first time I've marked a new car within hours by misjudging something or doing something stupid.

So a tame drive home in the traffic, but put foot down once for about 3sec. Was in silly territory just with that. 4 sec would have been license losing, and 5 jail time,.

But otherwise. On real roads doing real driving I'm glad the suspension isn't any sportier. It's probably about perfect for some of the knobbly roads I drive on. Quiet and civilized on the inside. Can't work anything yet so the radio selection was a bit off, seemed to be pretty much religious stations and Virgin. Just needs a rescan I think.

Tis sweet  :thumbup:

Took the alloy insurance since it covered diamond cut, and the tyre insurance as they were reasonable together, would only take a couple of wheel claims to pay for itself. GAP was a rip off though but might consider it somewhere else as it will depreciate quite a bit in the next 3yr.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

Got new wheels. Will put up a few pics when I can get some daylight.

Drove rather cautiously to start with because a) It was the rush hour B) It wouldn't be the first time I've marked a new car within hours by misjudging something or doing something stupid.

So a tame drive home in the traffic, but put foot down once for about 3sec. Was in silly territory just with that. 4 sec would have been license losing, and 5 jail time,.

But otherwise. On real roads doing real driving I'm glad the suspension isn't any sportier. It's probably about perfect for some of the knobbly roads I drive on. Quiet and civilized on the inside. Can't work anything yet so the radio selection was a bit off, seemed to be pretty much religious stations and Virgin. Just needs a rescan I think.

Tis sweet  :thumbup:

Took the alloy insurance since it covered diamond cut, and the tyre insurance as they were reasonable together, would only take a couple of wheel claims to pay for itself. GAP was a rip off though but might consider it somewhere else as it will depreciate quite a bit in the next 3yr.

http://classroom.synonym.com/pros-cons-gap-insurance-new-cars-16775.html

The dealer quote was a rip off. Did some online and they were half the price for the same cover.

Tyre and alloy insurance was about the same as 3rd parties.

• Like 1